Hayes update

No worries. Understandable when you're annoyed at not having your bike.

For fear of sounding like a dick, would you have been riding it since 'delivery' had the caliper not been leaking? I imagine most bikes are safely tucked away for winter while the roads are a shit state (mine included), so have you lost much real world riding so far? I know that's not the point, I'm just hopeful it hasn't actually put you out too much sitting at the dealership this whole time.

You are correct, I had planned to ride it 1 march onwards (weather depending).

Depends what re-engineered actually means - doesn't it. That is a term. It could mean, they have had the piston kit installed and been sorted as my dealer indicated or it could mean they have gone back to square one. Think the sorted bit would fit. But who knows unless you can actually get the inside track from Mr BMW

Agreed, the dealer has been told by BMW UK they are different, time will tell.

BMW will be able to work around this quite easily if they wished to, it shouldn’t be more than a paperwork exercise to approve both brake manufacturers.

Yes that's right … It's a paperwork exercise that involves EU Type Approval of the Brembo caliper on the 1250 GS

That shouldn't take more than 6 months if they rush it

You are correct, I had planned to ride it 1 march onwards (weather depending).

New parts arriving week 13 isn't ideal then... I think that you'd be well within your rights to request a bike to use until they sort yours, as well as the money back from any finance payments made until you can properly take delivery.

Yes that's right … It's a paperwork exercise that involves EU Type Approval of the Brembo caliper on the 1250 GS

That shouldn't take more than 6 months if they rush it

6 months and something like 500k if I read correctly. Versus replacement parts coming in 4 weeks I'd say that's not economical.

I don't know if this has been said before but i noticed today that they are fitting the Hayes calipers to the new 1000rr.

I don't know if this has been said before but i noticed today that they are fitting the Hayes calipers to the new 1000rr.

So possibly they are just running down the stocks of Brembo callipers until Hayes can produce enough for all bikes. This will send the community into a frenzy :)

Hayes were on last years s1000rr as well. Introduced the same time as the gs got them

Jokingly I asked the dealer if my callipers are on “recall”. He checked the VIN and said no:D It looks like it was a batch from December 2019 onwards. Mine is ok.

Jokingly I asked the dealer if my callipers are on “recall”. He checked the VIN and said no:D It looks like it was a batch from December 2019 onwards. Mine is ok.

Mines a July 2019 build and it’s already had 2 sets. Go figure, that doesn’t make any sense,

That can't be correct, there were quite a few reports of leaking callipers way before Dec 2019, my bike was built in Apr 2019 and there were leaking callipers before my bike was delivered.

That can't be correct, there were quite a few reports of leaking callipers way before Dec 2019, my bike was built in Apr 2019 and there were leaking callipers before my bike was delivered.

It’s called bullshit

Based on rider reports, it seems as if there was a bad batch used on early models, then for a while there seemed to be no problems before the leaks re-appears. So, the referral to a bad batch late 2019 could be true (in addition to a bad batch a year before).

If we are talking two bad batches with a periode in between we are talking lousy quality control. How hard can it be to make a none-leaking caliper? They've been around for more than 50 years, and we are not talking rocket science.

I like the bite that the Hays calipers offers, and none of the riders with 1250 I know have had any problems, but this product should easily be a 0% failure rate.
I feel quite confident that BMW is on it and have whispered Hays a few words in the backroom. In my book, a reversion to Brembos will be a step backwards.

Stevie have you had any update on your calipers my bikes in Douglas park in East Kilbride last I heard from them was still looking at possibly 1st week in April.
George r

My brother in law works for a division of bmw and they are closing as of last shift tomorrow as are all other uk production divisions of bmw, engines, final assembly, etc etc. I suspect it will be similar elsewhere as the decision came from bmw hq. Not gospel but I believe the Hayes Calipers are assembled in Germany so may be delayed if the policy there is the same.

I’d hate to have to swop my Hayes brakes for Brembo’s.

The Hayes have such a great initial bite that make one finger braking when riding fast a real pleasure.

I’m on my 6th LC and these are the best brakes that I’ve had on any of them!

Back
Top Bottom