Week riding around Southern Ireland

SIM

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi, I have just booked an Irish ferries trip to Ireland for a week at the back end of June, we intend getting off the ferry at Dublin and turning left (South) and going around the headland until we reach Galway then going back to the ferry in Dublin and a last night out for a couple of beers.

could you please advise where the best accommodation is, prefer pubs with good seafood and what should I not miss out on seeing.

thanks

Simon

Hi, I have just booked an Irish ferries trip to Ireland for a week at the back end of June, we intend getting off the ferry at Dublin and turning left (South) and going around the headland until we reach Galway then going back to the ferry in Dublin and a last night out for a couple of beers.

could you please advise where the best accommodation is, prefer pubs with good seafood and what should I not miss out on seeing.

thanks

Simon

If nowhere else, have a few days at Casey's Hotel, Glengarriff :thumby:

Ideal for touring the area ... all of the area :D

:beerjug:

we did a similar trip a few years back .how long are you staying over ? do you want base or different places each night ?

we stopped in Waterford, then headed around the ring of kerry ,the wild atlantic way up to westport then back across to Dublin. if you get decent weather ,superb places to see and roads to ride

we did a similar trip a few years back .how long are you staying over ? do you want base or different places each night ?

we stopped in Waterford, then headed around the ring of kerry ,the wild atlantic way up to westport then back across to Dublin. if you get decent weather ,superb places to see and roads to ride

Sound pretty similar to what we have roughly sketch out, I want nice long days riding all inlets, good seafood and beer
Cheers

Thanks for the tip guvnor might have a bit of that

Thanks Micky, I will look at that.

We don’t have any plan at this stage, just booked the ferry and will build a weeks trip around that.

Cheers

Family run hotel for a hundred years, superb food'n beer. We were there when hurricane Irma (was it) hit, dustbins and trees rattling past at head height :eek:

Mr Casey kept us in coffee and sandwiches FOC until we could get away later in the day :thumb

:beerjug:

In Co Kerry you have to visit O'Neills, The Point which is between Caherciveen and Valentia Island. The restaurant only serves fish and seafood, the quality of which is beyond compare. The menu consists of what is landed on the pier that day. The pier is 50m from the front door of the restaurant. You don't need a reservation, just turn up and eat and drink your fill.

Ferryview B&B is only 400m away from O'Neills. Contact Mary to make your reservation and tell her that Aidan from South Armagh recommended her to you. You'll be well looked after.

PM me if you need gps waypoints for both locations.

In Co Kerry you have to visit O'Neills, The Point which is between Caherciveen and Valentia Island. The restaurant only serves fish and seafood, the quality of which is beyond compare. The menu consists of what is landed on the pier that day. The pier is 50m from the front door of the restaurant. You don't need a reservation, just turn up and eat and drink your fill.

Ferryview B&B is only 400m away from O'Neills. Contact Mary to make your reservation and tell her that Aidan from South Armagh recommended her to you. You'll be well looked after.

PM me if you need gps waypoints for both locations.

Agree that The Point is special. You could also try the Bridge Bar at Portmagee at the other end of Valentia Island. Good food and nice rooms.

This is why this websites the best! Keep em coming.

thanks for the reply’s all noted. 👍

Good suggestion from Aidan ;)

If I can make one suggestion - head from the ferry directly to Cork & join the WAW

Then follow it as far as you can / want before turning right & headin back to the ferry. There’s little of interest along the east coast south of Dublin & the south coast east of Cork is only marginally better :beerjug:

we stayed our first night in Waterford, lots to choose from down there and plenty with secure parking. The next day we headed to Portmagee. Stayed at the bridge bar, They were filming star wars !!! just on a remote island in the bay ,so most of the crew were in the bar. from there up to Westport. again plenty to choose from and also a lot of really nice sea food restaurants .

I agree with Jochen about heading west without too much delay. South-East coast is lovely too but the drama is on the western seaboard.

With some prep and advice - and a good GPS- you could plot a scenic inland route through counties Carlow, Kilkenny, Tipp. Waterford
Direction Waterford or Direction Cork depending on your preference/urgency
Some fab scenery, historic towns, river-side routes. An area I want to explore more myself.
Then Clonmel/ Cahir, The Vee , Lismore, down to Youghal or Cork. (More familiar to me)

You can get out of Dublin quickly on the motorway say as far as Portlaoise or Carlow and turn off there. If the weather was poor the motorway or national routes are nearby to change plans and press on to West Cork, Kerry. Maybe one overnight stop and next day you'd be in Glengarrif eating mussels and thinking about a boat-trip to Garnish.

Getting a mix of inland and coastal.
Otherwise motorway to Cork ~ 3hours.
(Food advice: You can always rely on the soup/chowder option. )

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/oqgjvkHcSA4" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Enjoy

......If I can make one suggestion - head from the ferry directly to Cork & join the WAW

Then follow it as far as you can / want before turning right & headin back to the ferry. There’s little of interest along the east coast south of Dublin & the south coast east of Cork is only marginally better :beerjug:

Wot he seys - but having put Dublin well behind you, consider getting off M8 @ Cahir & heading for Clougheen & then Lismore via the Vee. Tallow, Dungourney, Middleton, Cobh/Passage ferry & Kinsale place you @ the start of WAW. If you are stuck for whatever in the Kingdom of Kerry I might be your man?

Thanks guys really appreciate all the suggestions, if get something pieced together now.

Cheers Simon

Someone puts a thread up like this and I love it .... NEVER been to Ireland, and after looking at your recommendations and Casey,s Hotel etc I am already planning in my mind another trip ! So much good stuff on this forum :beerjug:

Someone puts a thread up like this and I love it .... NEVER been to Ireland, and after looking at your recommendations and Casey,s Hotel etc I am already planning in my mind another trip ! So much good stuff on this forum :beerjug:

Plan it for September The pubs and hotels might be open again by then

Back
Top Bottom