trigger wire to install for my Clearwater lights

ratty123

Reaction score
G'day All, I am trying to find the high beam trigger wire to hook up my clearwater spot lights on my 2015 GS. I have them all correctly wired to a PDM 60 and they turn on/off as they should. The book says the white wire out of the high beam cluster is the one BUT it is live all the time. The book also shows the yellow is a high beam wire but its live all the time also. The other wires from the high beam pod are purple,grey and brown. I had clearwaters on my Super Tenere so i am familiar with the wiring process..I am wondering if I should be looking at the LHS where the on/off switch is for the high beam. I have just got my GS recently and this is my first post as I have faith in any forum community as they know everything. Any ideas welcome...cheers and stay safe with Covid19... Jn

I used the Red/Blue at the 7.5amp fuse under the seat.
If the helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

G'day All, I am trying to find the high beam trigger wire to hook up my clearwater spot lights on my 2015 GS. I have them all correctly wired to a PDM 60 and they turn on/off as they should. The book says the white wire out of the high beam cluster is the one BUT it is live all the time. The book also shows the yellow is a high beam wire but its live all the time also. The other wires from the high beam pod are purple,grey and brown. I had clearwaters on my Super Tenere so i am familiar with the wiring process..I am wondering if I should be looking at the LHS where the on/off switch is for the high beam. I have just got my GS recently and this is my first post as I have faith in any forum community as they know everything. Any ideas welcome...cheers and stay safe with Covid19... Jn

Is the bike equipped with LEDs or H7 bulbs?

If LEDs, you can not tap into the wires, and the same goes for the switch gear, the switch gear is operating through LIN-bus.
There are several threads in the forum covering the different aspects of what you are searching.
Best of luck.

Is the bike equipped with LEDs or H7 bulbs?

If LEDs, you can not tap into the wires, and the same goes for the switch gear, the switch gear is operating through LIN-bus.
There are several threads in the forum covering the different aspects of what you are searching.
Best of luck.

Ok...thanks all...cheers..Jn

If it’s got a LED Headlight you will need a canopener ,
Great bit of kit allows a plug and play installation and the lights are controlled through the wonder wheel.

Slight deviation, I'm sorry:

I've got a 2013 hexhead, which will be Canbus, and am going to change the stock spots to after-market LEDs. I intend cutting the existing loom and replacing stock with LEDs and using the existing switch. I expect a fault error to appear which I hope to, somehow, fix with my GS911 (which I've never used but hope it will work).
Does this make sense to those with more experience (especially of a GS911) or am I missing something?

TIA.

Slight deviation, I'm sorry:

I've got a 2013 hexhead, which will be Canbus, and am going to change the stock spots to after-market LEDs. I intend cutting the existing loom and replacing stock with LEDs and using the existing switch. I expect a fault error to appear which I hope to, somehow, fix with my GS911 (which I've never used but hope it will work).
Does this make sense to those with more experience (especially of a GS911) or am I missing something?

TIA.

No words of wisdom from the experienced?

I'll just have to "wing it" then!

As I'll have to do this summer / autumn it appears.

It's been a gorgeous day up here today and all my bikes are still tucked away cosy!

No wind (unusual up here) and perfect riding weather - bastards!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe it wont throw a fault, even if it does i think if you soldered in a resister inline it wouldn't. But im no expert, so dont take my word for it. LED lights use so little current the circuit thinks there is a fault, by adding a resistor it create's a "load" and fools the circuit into thinking all is well. Bit like LED indicators i think. I agree, beautiful weather today, i wheeled bike out of its winter slumber and was very tempted but i resisted. Mind you i met a bike or two earlier on this morning when i was doing my blood bike group thing.

No words of wisdom from the experienced?

I'll just have to "wing it" then!

As I'll have to do this summer / autumn it appears.

It's been a gorgeous day up here today and all my bikes are still tucked away cosy!

No wind (unusual up here) and perfect riding weather - bastards!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It will work. I don't expect any error message from the aux lights. (At least, my -15 GSA did not throw a fault message when the lights where disconnected.

However, while you are on it, connecting your new lights to the OEM loom severely limits your options compared to what you would achieve by getting an EZcan or an equivalent controller.
The stock control will switch your lights on or of. The 'other' controller will allow you to dim the lights as well as allow them to flash along with the signal lights + more (as described by your chosen controller)

Maybe it wont throw a fault, even if it does i think if you soldered in a resister inline it wouldn't. But im no expert, so dont take my word for it. LED lights use so little current the circuit thinks there is a fault, by adding a resistor it create's a "load" and fools the circuit into thinking all is well. Bit like LED indicators i think. I agree, beautiful weather today, i wheeled bike out of its winter slumber and was very tempted but i resisted. Mind you i met a bike or two earlier on this morning when i was doing my blood bike group thing.

I know of the resistor trick so, if I have to, I'll do that.

It will work. I don't expect any error message from the aux lights. (At least, my -15 GSA did not throw a fault message when the lights where disconnected.

However, while you are on it, connecting your new lights to the OEM loom severely limits your options compared to what you would achieve by getting an EZcan or an equivalent controller.
The stock control will switch your lights on or of. The 'other' controller will allow you to dim the lights as well as allow them to flash along with the signal lights + more (as described by your chosen controller)

I'll give it a try and see if it works. I'll have to find a couple of male connectors to fit the wiring loom plugs and make a cable from them to my new cables - any ideas where you can buy these? I'll look on realoem first. If not, I'll make something up.
I only want them to go on and off so I'm happy with a plain switch.

Thank you both for your feedback.

Fitted my after-market LEDs this afternoon and they're so much brighter than the OEM halogens - WOW!
Also, no alarms came up so that's great! I had to make up a loom mod from the new connector to a H11 / flying lead I had so out with the soldering iron and some heat shrink sleeving.
Tomorrow I'll rplace an old spot light switch with a new (better) one (this for my additional low level spots which are old PIAAs I took off my Harley but still bloody bright after 20 years of use)!

I need to visit your country again; I haven't been since 2006 when Liv gave such great help on your roads and places to go.

Thanks again for your feedback.

Back
Top Bottom