Advice on buying please

they just did 2 updates on the motoscan app (far cheaper - although not offered it to me yet !) it does enough to keep on top of normal issues with the bike. https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&u=https://www.motoscan.de/changelog/

AF-Xieds I wouldn't even hesitate... I'd put them on before you ever started it. Bikes have to run emission regs that make them gutless, hard to ride and keep wanting to stall - its all OK in a car with rubber mounted everything (engine, suspension) a fly wheel with 20kg of lead to keep it going round, and 4 wheels so you don't fall off when it coughs. Yes you can ride a GS without fixing the fault, but its far safer !!! far faster and far more fun once sorted.

I get the dash bit.... (you can even turn on tyre temps with motoscan app too !) I got the vx800 on the road the other day, only took 5 years to get round to getting it registered.... stalled it as I had to manually change to reserve, can't see outside temp, can't see tyre temps or pressure, no idea what's in the tank, what gear its in or even what time it is... all a bit disappointing (its just basic info that nice to have to hand). Still at least it hasn't got a retarded flashing star telling me its cold like the KTM does - what a pointless addition that is... can't get tyre temp on the dash - but it can notice its cold - As if the frost bite and wind chill hadn't done that already !!!!

As for suspension, fitting better stuff comes with the responsibility to set it up so you gain, I was reading NicD's points, and it made me think about 40 years back and the koni dampers we put on my brothers 400 four. It was worse after we fitted them !!! Far too soft and no damping. Same with the standard / recco spring on my white power 3 way damping shock on the back of the GS.

What they seem to do is think their dampers are so much better one can run a lighter spring. This is all very well if you are 20 kg lighter than the 75kg total load a jap bike was set up for originally and or you want to ride in plush comfort more slowly. If your are adult sized and ride like a quicker marc marques that set up is no use.

On the 400 four with the springs off and the damper compressed you got 4 damper settings.... we started with 2, and the stock koni springs... ended up on 4, with the much stiffer original springs and my brother was not impressed with his purchase. And they we shorter when you need 15 mm longer.

With a road tyre and my whitepower shock, I set it up 8 mm longer (adjustable - but the tyre touches using the centre stand if you go too long) and the separate high / low speed compression damping is brilliant... with 175nm spring its a squishy pillow of total control. It makes for comfortable, safe progress, with an average some 30 mph higher than the near death experience you get with the stock "thing". As standard it mostly means the rear wheel is continually skipping 2 foot sideways, this way and that over sharp bumps. I don't really mind the two foot of additional wayward fun, but it is slower, and my passenger has a melt down about it

I you have a choice go with the GS911 it is in a different league to the motoscan app.
I spent a long time trying to log real time data with the Motoscan and OBDLINK-MX+ , I could not figure it out so contacted the developer.
The reply was "This app will not record or log real time data" So a full throttle run whilst trying to examine real time data !!!.
About as much use as a chocolate fire guard.
From experience the 2009 bike will benefit from the AF-XIED`s.
I now use Wilbers suspension but found the stock suspension adequate on the 2009 bike, I did have the compression damping increased when I had the rear shock rebuilt but that was for touring with pillion and luggage.

I you have a choice go with the GS911 it is in a different league to the motoscan app.
I spent a long time trying to log real time data with the Motoscan and OBDLINK-MX+ , I could not figure it out so contacted the developer.
The reply was "This app will not record or log real time data" So a full throttle run whilst trying to examine real time data !!!.
About as much use as a chocolate fire guard.
From experience the 2009 bike will benefit from the AF-XIED`s.
I now use Wilbers suspension but found the stock suspension adequate on the 2009 bike, I did have the compression damping increased when I had the rear shock rebuilt but that was for touring with pillion and luggage.

I found the Wibers too hard in there stock settings,

They gave me a headache, as they passed the road vibrations back through the bike. backing the settings of 2 or 3 clicks front and rear was a revelation,

Super smooth :)

doesn't this depend how you feel about paying out an extra £300 just so a chinese guy can illegally reverse engineer BMW's own ISTA (when you can after all get an [illegal] working copy of that for free?)

I found the Wibers too hard in there stock settings,

They gave me a headache, as they passed the road vibrations back through the bike. backing the settings of 2 or 3 clicks front and rear was a revelation,

Super smooth :)

yes, the front wilbers I've got is very harsh - I'm not sure its better than the stock one. I sent for a service and he claimed he tweaked the shim stack to make it more supple - I didn't notice, but I guess since I run 3 clicks more than I had.

doesn't this depend how you feel about paying out an extra £300 just so a chinese guy can illegally reverse engineer BMW's own ISTA (when you can after all get an [illegal] working copy of that for free?)

Enlighten us then ? where can we get it for free?

I thought the company that build the GS911 (Hexcode) were in South Africa not China.
When they introduced the device there were no other options available.
I have had mine for 10 years with free updates and customer support, I did have to upgrade it to unlimited vin numbers when it got to 10 but I have certainly had my moneys worth out of it.
The way that it works compared to the bodged up options is night and day.
The free software that you put a link to implies that you need to purchase their hardware to go with it. That is if it were not out of stock.

I disagree with this. And note the tyre life you get will be affected by whether the suspension is working properly, and set up properly
I'm on the same page as you. Duff suspension will directly affect tyre wear...

Regarding the OEM shocks, I've just had mine (ESA) serviced by Denz0. The bike is transformed. To say I'm loving it even more is an understatement! (thank you Denz0 ).

But they're OEM... I know little about suspension to be honest. But I just can't imagine BMW would spec a bike with duff suspension - sure, one size fits all doesn't necessarily work, but within an average 'zone' of weight and rider ability, I think they know what they're doing, albeit increasing their margin by choice of supplier and materials - but within a spec. That shouldn't affect the performance for riders in that 'zone'?

In short. Serviced OEM shocks should be fine for most - unless perhaps your proper tosser size and travel 2 up most of the time. I'm my view anyway.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

The 08 bike is under-sprung for those who are heavier, who ride a lot with luggage (or a lot of luggage), or who take a passenger. The damping is ok but not great with the front having only preload. The newer bikes have stiffer springs, but i think in the earlier models bmw was selecting springs to cover some off road too. More recently they may have focused on road performance. If you are a fast rider you have to increase damping on the rear.

Aftermarket shocks allow you to spec the springs you want and to get more adjustability. Mine are Nitrons and are more softly sprung than my other bikes while being slightly stiffer than stock (allows me to ride hard pack dirt roads comfortably too). The main thing is that the rear has separate rebound and compression and the front has a combined damping adjuster. At speed the bike rides way better than the stock shocks.

All good info re the shocks. I think the immediate need is to get the original to Denz0 and take it from there.

Prob will fit the AF-Xied but will try it for a few weeks to establish a base line.

Had the pleasure of trying to sort appropriate insurance to cover both bikes for the overlap before I sell the 05, what a palaver!
It’s not the cost that winds me up, because it’s not a massive amount (due to my age etc) but every option or path is biased against the client and in favour of the broker. I realise it’s a business but having never had to cover more than one bike at any time, it came as a nasty sharp slap of reality. Anyway all sorted now.

Might suggest sharing a GS911 with a few mates but they tend not to be tinkerers like me.
I realise to most on here that my new bike is from a long gone era but I can’t deny that I am a little excited!

Pictures coming if anyone’s still interested

I thought the company that build the GS911 (Hexcode) were in South Africa not China.

I already posted where in a recent post. Somerset West 25 mins from CPT, but all the hard work is done in china (they seem to spend lots of time in china - importing covid-19 I expect). They were having a melt down last time I was there about currency and x rates. So I wonder if they moved most of the operation to the UK? or if its just a base to sell from?

there are two issues

1) RSA has gone down the pan, the road from their site to the airport is exceptionally dangerous. I was advised not to stop at any cost. In the morning commute they sit on the walls wait for the traffic to stop then empty all the laptops, phones and valuables from any vehicle (and shoot you if you mention its wrong)... Police do not get involved (probably paid in laptops not to interfere with the thriving economic boom)

2) 3 years ago they felt we got the GS911 for free in the UK. In SA the issue is they remember till 1975 the x rate was R3 to the £1 and think we got rich, it's wobbled around R13 to £1 for last 15 years, (they don't understand most UK workers haven't seen pay change in 20 years). As of 2 years ago they decided to get round their collapsing Rand by selling ALL products via the UK... a good move as its been at R23 to £1 for the last year and will only get far worse - Sadly the country has taken the Zimbabwe route to success, but have accelerated the curve two fold.

The product may be good but pricing is outrageous £575 plus VAT ! for a ten quid bit of Chinese electronic trash and 40 quid's worth of software they didn't even write...

Yeah, but it works ! First time everytime, thats the difference. As for £575 + VAT well mine was nowhere near that price, £325 IIRC and its the WI-FI model. Bought from the HEX site in Ireland. :thumb

https://www.hexinnovate.com/product/gs-911wifi-with-obd-ii-connector/

GS-911wifi with OBD-II Connector £575.00 ex VAT

should be £100 or £120 including VAT for the unlimited version, and even then they are just robbing you blind, with the scale I saw I bet they are paying £25 each for them including the software development

I've only had a few times where the motoscan app didn't do what I wanted
1) the nasty adapter we had wouldn't talk to the DWA to do the TPMS coding, bought the adaptor he recos, no issues since that was 4 years ago
2) when new models come out and they have modules that weren't on older bikes. That issue will be the same on a 911

adapter issues are strongly driven by fake FTDI chipsets puked out in there billions every second by china. this is the issue most car boys have as well.... here's three of latest updates to the motoscan app (no idea what the last point means....)

◾Good, bad and unknown adapters are marked accordingly in the Bluetooth adapter list.
◾New models added: F 900 R (K83), F 900 XR (K84), S 1000 RR (K67), S 1000 XR (K69), C 400 X (K09), C 400 GT (K08), C evolution (K17 )
◾Real-time data for the newer generations completely revised

My GS911 was about £180 on ebay second hand. Works really well

My GS911 was about £180 on ebay second hand. Works really well

and can you get the updates to get the new features and fixes? if its a red one, that updates that's a good deal...

Thanks for all the comments chaps.
Tyres changed to Trailriders
Shock on its way to Denzo
Itching to get it all back together
GS 911 bought , now studying how to use it (when it arrives)
Thanks again

Back
Top Bottom