a very slight mist

Onahi

The Equalizer
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Just cleaning my bike for my first trip abroad Friday and noticed a very slight mist of oil, at the front of the rocker cover, where the plastic spark plug cover sits. I took this off and there was a tiny amount of oil in there. I tried to tighten the rocker cover fasteners. They turned a little.... Deep down I know this is nothing, but I've never seen oil here before on any of my R bikes. :nenau

I checked the spines before I polished the TFT screen....
But maybe ....... Just maybe ......

Funny, but every time i do a “tour” i spend ages getting the bike ready. I make sure i have everything i need, Service the bike, take everything possible i might need, make lists etc.
The other tossers in the group do nothing and everything is always ok for them..
Some of us worry too much - me included.
I wish i was more laid back ........

I dont normally worry, and I've been to some pretty remote places knowing id have little to no assistance. And on an older machine. I think its more as the warranty has just expired !:D

Not a BMW I know, or a bike LOL, but my Wife's Corsa had engine oil around the plugs when I changed them (first plug change). It's the joint between the cam carrier and the head that can leak a bit (are the LC's the same now?). Strange thing is, the oil looked like new. So must of leaked a bit when the car was running in, then nothing thereafter so had sealed itself?
Quite common I'm told.... sure it will be fine :)

It may even be a tiny bit of oil left over from the last service ?

Just cleaning my bike for my first trip abroad Friday and noticed a very slight mist of oil, at the front of the rocker cover, where the plastic spark plug cover sits. I took this off and there was a tiny amount of oil in there. I tried to tighten the rocker cover fasteners. They turned a little.... Deep down I know this is nothing, but I've never seen oil here before on any of my R bikes. :nenau

Make sure you take your driving license with you as the hire car company will need to see it before they stick you in a 3 Series to get you back to Blighty :augie

you should not be able to "tighten" down the rocker cover fasteners because they are made to bottom out and apply the correct amount of pressure (very little) on the sealing rubber gasket. If you could actually tighten any of them down , they were loose and not done up properly from the last time they were opened up.

That's the issue. The one (top right) was loose. The other two I couldn't get to because of the crash bar.
It's a tiny amount. I'm sure it will be fine until next service !

Big Hammer and Breakdown cover and you should be fine :D Have a nice time.

Sight glass looks a little full anyhow, so losing some will be fine:D

Booked in with the dealers.
Told me it could take up to two weeks for it to be done.
But received a phone call 24 hours later to tell me its ready for collection.
So, it was leaking oil on the left Hand side rocker cover. On inspection, it turns out, that during the last service the rocker was refitted, but had caught the plug wire and hadn't sealed correctly. Thus leaking oil. What was a puzzle was the fact that it had only started to leak recently, and not instantly from the service.... Oh well, all done, And although out of warranty, FOC .

Back
Top Bottom