Locks, re coding

kwallace21

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi folks.
I have a pair of BMW Ally panniers and I'm trying to code the locks to my key.
I managed to pop all 6 cylinders out fine and dandy. Popped my key in to identify the wafers that need to be chaw but buggered of I can get the wafers out. Even pulling with needle nose pliers won't get them.
It must be codeable locks as they were previously coded to another members ignition key.
All the videos show them almost falling out.
Am I doing something daft?
Answers on a postcard please.

AFAIKR, you remove them with the key out, remove the key and they should fall out in fact jump out as they are under tension from the small springs.

IMHO there are two sets of locks around, one is the OEM that comes from the factory and has a small brass pin to stop the wafers coming out, and the other is the fully re-codable version.

The are the same apart from the pin. If your keen on swapping the wafers from the factory unit, you need to prise off the stainless steel key cover which is held in with three punch marks, and then watch the small plastic key closers don’t ping off and the brass pin can come out.

The plate is a bugger to get on and off again, I used some small chisels to get the indented plate off and on again.

See you said they had been recoded, so pull the key out and the wafers should come out

IMHO there are two sets of locks around, one is the OEM that comes from the factory and has a small brass pin to stop the wafers coming out, and the other is the fully re-codable version.

The are the same apart from the pin. If your keen on swapping the wafers from the factory unit, you need to prise off the stainless steel key cover which is held in with three punch marks, and then watch the small plastic key closers don’t ping off and the brass pin can come out.

The plate is a bugger to get on and off again, I used some small chisels to get the indented plate off and on again.

See you said they had been recoded, so pull the key out and the wafers should come out

Wafers are not for coming out.
Locked in.
Don't fancy trying to get the cover off. I'll destroy them if I try that.

You need to put the lock barrel in a vice, with the silver disc at the top, and leave a couple of mm between the jaw and the disc. Prise the disc off with a screwdriver-- you need to get the screwdriver close to the indent and it will just pop off. The silver disc is strongest near the indent. If you put the screwdriver in no-mans land between the indents you will bend the disc.
Once you've got the disc off, carefully remove the barrel from the vice and bang it keyhole downwards onto a hard surface. When you bang it down don't let it bounce up again.
The two little black plastic bits and their springs will have popped out. The brass pin that passes inside the barrel and holds the wafers in place will have moved out slightly and you should be able to get a finger nail under the tiny head and slide it out.
The wafers will slide out for recording.
I'll do them for you if you want to send them to me.

I realise that kwallace21 is now sorted and that this is an old thread, but for anyone else wishing to remove the locking pin on lock barrels that are supplied from the factory it is worth looking at this thread in which steadysteve gave me lots of great info with pictures (to which I've added to) on how to do this.

I did ask that the thread above be moved from the 'Wanted' section to somewhere more relevant (when it turned from a 'Wanted' thread to a 'How to' one), but I was advised there were already sufficient threads addressing this problem. I'm sure there are, but I could only find this thread which discusses the issue of removing the factory fitted locking pin that is fitted to some locks, and another that touches on the locking pins.

I have more info to share and rather than put them on my original thread (which is in a non-relevant section) I thought I add my comments to the end of this thread.

I successfully removed my locking pins and subsequently re-coded all 8 of my locks. However, when I came to fit them I found I had an issue. There is a raised area on the body of the lock, just behind the chrome cap, this is on the same side as the locking wafer (see first picture below, blue arrow points to the raised area I refer to). This raised area allows the barrel to only rotate through the 90 degrees from locked to unlocked positions.

(On lock barrels that are supplied for the user to re-code this raised area is on the other side of the lock barrel (i.e. 180 degrees).)

As a result, when the barrel is in the unlocked position there is nothing to hold the locking wafer in position and it could vibrate out and then the lock barrel could also fall out (see my second picture). In the picture you can see there is nothing to stop the locking wafer sliding out. Looking at the lock from the rear, in the locked position this locking wafer will be in a position 90 degrees anticlockwise from where it is shown, in the locked position it is held in place by the raised plastic surround of the lock housing.

On lock barrels that can be re-coded the locking wafer will be 180 degrees round from where it is shown in my picture (because the raised area will be on the opposite side of barrel) and held in place by the raised plastic surround, when moved through 90 degrees to the locked position it is still behind the plastic surround but it can be seen and accessed to remove the barrel. Therefore, these barrels are securely held in place, there is no way the locking wafer can fall out.

It is possible that with barrels such as mine the wafer would not spring out, but I wasn't prepared to risk it.

Fortunately, I had kept all 8 factory fitted locking pins so I decided to strip the barrels down again and refit the pins. These pins securely hold the locking wafer in place so it can't fall out.
It was fairly straight forward to do. As I'd already removed the pins I knew what I was doing and the refitting process was much quicker, but it still took most of the day, taking about a half to 3/4 hour per lock. (On the ones that took longer I'd re-secured the cap too well making it much harder to remove! :rolleyes:)

If I ever change bikes and want to re-code these barrels again I'd probably just buy a new set of 8 re-codeable ones (at a cost of about £180 from BMW, or there's a seller on eBay selling rip off locks for about £120).

Note, in this post I am referring to locks for aluminium luggage from a 2014 LC GSA, the problem of the locking wafer not being secure may not be an issue with other luggage.

Attachments

• InkedMy BMW Lock_LI.jpg
    InkedMy BMW Lock_LI.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 390
  • Latch Mechanism and lock.jpg
    Latch Mechanism and lock.jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 371
Need some No2 and No3 Wafers to recode a set of pannier locks

Need some No2 and No3 Wafers to recode a set of pannier locks, has anybody got any spares lying around? Willingly pay for beers and the postage.

Need some No2 and No3 Wafers to recode a set of pannier locks, has anybody got any spares lying around? Willingly pay for beers and the postage.

I have plenty of 1 and 2 but only a few 3 for alloy pannier locks. How many do you need?

I ran into needing some extra also, ended up filing down the ones that didnt fit to make them fit. If im not mistaken you can also just leave them out.

I ran into needing some extra also, ended up filing down the ones that didnt fit to make them fit. If im not mistaken you can also just leave them out.

You can leave the odd one or two out but this makes the lock less secure.
When it’s locked and the key is removed the wafers push outwards and prevent the lock barrel turning.

Back
Top Bottom