R1250 RT LE Exclusive

Seawolf

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Anyone had experience of matt paint on a bike? Does it need any more care than standard paint?

I'm tempted by this special edition RT1250 LE 'Exclusive', but I've not seen it yet. The colour is matte Mineral Gray Metallic.

Attachments

• BMW R1250-RT Exclusive.jpg
    BMW R1250-RT Exclusive.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 523
Just waiting on delivery of my GS exclusive.
On recommendation from another owner Im fitting the protective film from Nippy Normans.
Apart from the pain of unavoidable finger prints I think any "chips or dinks" will be harder to repair

It does look beautiful in that colour though so hard to resist!

Had the paintwork on my GS exclusive professionally covered in 3M venture shield, 6 th bike I have had done. Can wax it and treat it like paintwork
The kit for the exclusive comes with gloss for the shiny black nits and matt finish for... well the matt bits

Apart from the pain of unavoidable finger prints I think any "chips or dinks" will be harder to repair

I think you're right and from what I've read, cleaning and protection products need to be specifically for Matt finishes, which is okay so long as you know beforehand!

Be aware that even a minor scratch cannot be polished out - it needs to be repainted.

It’s a pain in the arse on cars. If scratches bug you then Matt finishes are not for you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Be aware that even a minor scratch cannot be polished out - it needs to be repainted.

It’s a pain in the arse on cars. If scratches bug you then Matt finishes are not for you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks; scratches do bug me. I'm glad I asked

Sort of relevant, I have a Focus road bike with a Matt finish, slight scratches can be removed with very light use of 1200 grade wet and dry. Answer really is, don't get them in the first place by protecting the bike with protective film. Best to get it professionally applied otherwise it can look a right dogs dinner

Sort of relevant, I have a Focus road bike with a Matt finish, slight scratches can be removed with very light use of 1200 grade wet and dry. Answer really is, don't get them in the first place by protecting the bike with protective film. Best to get it professionally applied otherwise it can look a right dogs dinner

Thanks, HGS made a similar comment about professionally applied film. Revolution Detailing are local to me so the new RT may be worth another conversation with the Dealer.

Imo matt paints make a vehicle look “unfinished”, as if somebody pulled it out of the production line too early.

Subjectively also, it makes a lot of otherwise nice cars and fast editions of specifics models like Audi RS and BMW M series specifically, look like they have been madmaxxed and souped up. As macho, cool or mean that may sound to anyone, it usually devalues the vehicle more down the timeline.

Not sure how this applies to bikes, let alone slightly “mature” and civilised kit like an RT.
I do know of a mates unkept 07 R1200R in matt “graphitan” i rhink it was called, that 13 years on looks like an utter pile of crap. But arguably the paint is the least of its worries.

Black Storm Metallic with Night Black Matte paint

Covered in 3M Venture Shield from week one

I like the look....so much I bought one :thumb2

Attachments

• IMG-20200715-WA0008.jpg
    IMG-20200715-WA0008.jpg
    242.1 KB · Views: 299
  • IMG-20200613-WA0066.jpg
    IMG-20200613-WA0066.jpg
    234.9 KB · Views: 335

Back
Top Bottom