European Break Down Cover?

Try Search as this question comes up about once a month and the answers rarely change.

This from just a month ago:

https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showt...er-advice-please?highlight=European+breakdown

Make what you will of bods who reply, “I buy XYZ but I have never used it”. That’s a bit like recommending a tin of paint, that still has the lid on after three years.

Not good enough, try a bit of self help:

https://www.knowyourmoney.co.uk/bre...ArnvKKCA6NdS-4kLRA34OjngLqO8TXQYaAg1xEALw_wcB

Other comparison sites available.

Then consider if you want an annual (multi-trip) policy or one just for the duration of your one jaunt. Then consider if the vehicle is new or newish or some relic from the last millennium. Not least, ponder on whether you need the whole of Western Europe or just sufficient to get you to the B500 and back.... if you were Nutty, you’d require at least Finland, Greece and very probably Portugal.

Moved from ‘Black Forest’ section of Travel.

If I have bothered/remembered I've always used ADAC, you've probably seen their trucks and vans before.

Harley Davidson Insurance. Oh.....wait....

From a couple of months ago, ADAC will only give full cover to residents of Germany.

I took out insurance from driver guardian last year, cost £142. This years renewal is £156 including their discount. But I am due to change insurance before renewal and have sussed a policy that will include EU and UK Cover at a cost of £84, if that helps you

If the OP's bike in question qualifies for BMW's own European cover (from memory, linked to the extended warranty) I must say it is pretty good, in that they sorted me out three years ago, without too much sweat.

Similarly, the AA's European cover sorted me out, eight or nine years ago.

Touch wood, that is the two times I have called on a rescue company's services, in 10's of 1000's of miles of European riding, if not more.

Others will curse about the BMW and / or the AA packages. The reasons why they curse will be as varied as their preferences as to tents, gloves, hotels and maybe whether lager is better than beer or as to whether Marmite is poisonous. Maybe it's as simple as they regard both as a rip-off or just don't trust them because of something they read or thought they heard, so they are struck off the list in advance. So, OP, do your own research and narrow it down to the service provider you think and hope will serve you best, at a cost you find reasonable. You may be right, you may be wrong or, you may never find out.

horses for courses, I have the full European cover with RAC and found it fantastic, was out with a group of 30 or so 18 months ago and one had an accident in germany, and we were on a tour, they sorted out the bike with no issue at all. Service was top notch. Had occasion to use them my self for a broken windscreen in France last year and previously when rear drive box oil seal failed. So cant recommend them highly enough

OP, see post 6, post 12 and then read again, post 11.

PS I have RAC European cover, in addition to the BMW Assistance attached to the extended warranty for my 1600. As with the unopened (but recommended) tins of paint (see post 2) I am happy with my choices. My happiness may be built on sand or rock; hopefully I will never find out.

Now it's your turn. Spin the revolver's chamber with its one bullet and pull the trigger. It's not that dangerous.

£20 increase on my insurance renewal to include European cover with RAC. Maybe that’s an option to check out.

LV/Brotannia probably

Indeed Britannia will allow me to progress with my 18 year old bike for uk and eu cover @142. So basically the same as driver guardian, but I will be calling insurance tomorrow and sorting their breakdown cover if possible at an extra £84 or whatever. If that fails I can fall back on this. How is the OP doing with his search?

Back
Top Bottom