Seized engine mount 1150gsa

well done ;)

What he says :thumb

Now! When you put it back in?? Use Aluminium Anti Seize or just a good slather of ordinary grease!

NOT Coppaslip!! Never Again CoppaSlip

Trust me on this!! 12 years ago I freed up a bolt and put it back with a good slather of coppaslip move forward to the last year On and Off I have tried to remove said bolt after cutting the spacers and lifting the engine out!

AND pretty much fucked the Block! But I am not finished yet :rob

I have never ever seen anything so welded into a block before in my life, all the way through!!! I can only presume some sort of electrolytic reaction has taken place as It was a dry weather bike when the other owner had it and I never rode it in winter as unsalted roads where I live and those dinky wee RS bars just don;t go well together

What he says :thumb

Now! When you put it back in?? Use Aluminium Anti Seize or just a good slather of ordinary grease!

NOT Coppaslip!! Never Again CoppaSlip

Trust me on this!! 12 years ago I freed up a bolt and put it back with a good slather of coppaslip move forward to the last year On and Off I have tried to remove said bolt after cutting the spacers and lifting the engine out!

AND pretty much fucked the Block! But I am not finished yet :rob

I have never ever seen anything so welded into a block before in my life, all the way through!!! I can only presume some sort of electrolytic reaction has taken place as It was a dry weather bike when the other owner had it and I never rode it in winter as unsalted roads where I live and those dinky wee RS bars just don;t go well together
Jesus that sounds hellish. Is copaslip just a brand of copper grease? I haven't come across it. I thought copper grease was the go to for antiseize.

I'll have a look for aluminium anti seize. Thanks for the tip.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Jesus that sounds hellish. Is copaslip just a brand of copper grease? I haven't come across it. I thought copper grease was the go to for antiseize.

I'll have a look for aluminium anti seize. Thanks for the tip.

Holy shit you're right, I just looked it up. Apparently putting copper grease between steel and aluminium can cause Galvaic corrosion, never heard of it.
Why isn't this better known. Great tip.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galvanic_corrosion

I thought I should finish this thread up by showing the end or near end result looks like and what I did to fix the engine case.
As it happens, the piece I cracked was at the top and not weight bearing. There was no damage to anywhere else thank god. I confirmed this by filling the cavity with Kroil as I already had some in there anyway. If there was even the smallest of cracks it would have seeped through. I left it a week to be sure. I used the borescope to confirm. I then drained the cavity with a pump and used a long magnetic screwdriver to remove the swarf from drilling out the drift.
Once I had the battery box off I was able to assess the damage fully. I was surprised at how thin the cast aluminium wall was. Clearly not meant to be weight bearing.
I degreased the area throughly and when dry I carefully filled the gaps with JB weld and gently tapped the displaced aluminium pieces back into place.
Once in place I secured them with a screwdriver and a ratchet tiedown until set.
Now that the JBW has dried it's almost like it never happened.

Apart from the initial trauma :)
ec3bc059f827f3050d645784021b644e.jpg
8aac2a8b8410cc17bc5661ebcbbc33b4.jpg
c6ad7b89849c5a74e6a769fb53834eab.jpg
28da9846d204700d54c50c2ab87b8db6.jpg
e948ef2e509484f086764f42ff76cd58.jpg
f72a115d3ff49e5df485721faf774c6f.jpg
735d4d739eaf5b9065cb285808a62a4f.jpg
5bac51b0f358338be78450bc4273676f.jpg
a955716ce79c1daece01aeadf91e756a.jpg

Back