Fuel strip / gauge fail! Cost of replacement?

LBJ GSA

Reaction score
So, it looks like the fuel strip / gauge has failed on my 08 GS, just a couple of weeks after reading about this very common problem on the forum! :)
I've seen the other post on conversion to float. Looks like a good idea, but beyond my capabilities! What does a replacement strip cost usually (including workshop labour)? Do they last?
Doesn't appear to be a trip meter on the 08 GS, so I guess it's a case of noting the total mileage on fuelling up until it's fixed!

200 to 220 quid at a dealers. You will get a 2 year warranty on the new one if dealer fitted,
I need to take mine back for what I think will be it's 10th strip now as it's failed again. Still under warranty from the last one I paid for though.

2 trip logs are as described above. Total mileage. Press button gets trip one. Press again gets trip two. Press and hold to reset.

Many thanks chaps. Will find the trip meter in the first instance to avoid running out of fuel. :) Sounds like the strips just keep on failing, so relying upon it, even under warranty would be sketchy, although the clue I guess is seeing 'range 256 miles' or something after riding for an hour! Presumably, the 04 'mark 1' GS has a float rather than strip, as I didn't have this problem on the earlier GS which I had for over 10 years.

At the obvious risk of tempting fate, they don’t all have issues. I’ve had my 08 GS from new, and the fuel gauge is still working and accurate.

With the doom and gloom about strips I do always set the trip for belt and braces anyway though.

I think i was fairly lucky the strip in my bike lasted about 5 years only failing when the pump was replaced on a recall. The next one lasted about 3 years so im on my third in almost 10 years.

I have used the trip meter for around 6 months but i hated the constant warning light so replaced the strip. Next time though will try the conversion to float.

Back
Top Bottom