Anyone owned a Norge?

RJT_Berlin

Reaction score
Currently not biking, but planning a tour with a mate next year. Need a bike that is suitable for touring but fun. Was on a thread yesterday about a V-Strom (which appears a good bike) but after looking on ebay, i saw a nice Guzzi Norge for sale. Granted more money than the equivalent v-strom but appears a nice bike. Anyone have one? the one i was looking at was the 4V and i believe these have less issues?? Appreciate any feedback and advice you can offer - thanks!

I had the old two valve 1200. A great engine with plenty of grunt and no reliability issues. Apperently
more reliable than the four valve model.
It was very planted as speed and the fairing was one of the best I've sat behind. A real mile muncher.
The seating position was a bit cramped if you have a 32" leg like me.
You need good inner bags with the luggage as the panniers leak a little and the top box isn't a
positive fit. I found this out on my return home one day without it. It detached somewhere between
Southport and St.Helens.:blast

I'd research the 2V against the 4V. Some of the 4V ones had cam issues which was later sorted by the factory.

2 valve is less hastle than the 4 valve.
Unless the a 4 valve has had the cam follower issue sorted...

2012 onwards I believe we're sorted..

Otherwise a good four figure fix..

I have the 1100 Breva which share the same frame & most cycle parts bar the fairing..
Loving it so far..
I have dropped the footrests to make it better for distance riding...

I think it is the 2V model then as it is from 2006. My understanding was it is a 4 valve that were later replaced by the 8 valve but maybe that is incorrect. Looks a tidy bike though....... Just wondering if anything specific to look out for? Am coming from various bikes over time, last bike was an XR, before that a LC GS and have had various beemers over time, plus several others...... Like the look of a Guzzi though!

I had the naked Breva 1100. It was very nice but it didn’t have the character of the older Guzzis. The wife gave it the thumbs up for pillion comfort. Being an owner of a 650 VStrom I would recommend the Suzuki if you want peace of mind.

think Wrinklieowlie might have had one for a few years?

Search on his moniker.

I looked at a few a couple of years ago. Test rode and sat on some too. I concur that it felt a little cramped (i'm only 5"7 at best with 30 inside leg). Also seemed to think the clutch pull was quite heavy. It rode nicely and felt well planted and had enough Guzzi beat to it. Styling was cool and dash was just lovely.

think Wrinklieowlie might have had one for a few years?

Search on his moniker.

Don't think I've ever had a bike in my life for 'a few years':D I've had a couple or three 1100 Breva's but never a Norge. I've never really been into faired bikes. But it's more or less the same bike as the Breva, just with a fairing and the Breva's I've had have all been lovely bikes. I never really noticed them being cramped in the leg department but I only have a 29" inside leg. As with many Guzzi's they can feel a little agricultural at first, but once you get used to them they really are lovely.
I think the Norge is cracking value for money at the moment with some lovely bikes out there for not a lot of money....Mmmmmmm..got me thinking now.

Just to clarify the engine situation and what to look out for. Some folks call the 4 valve per cylinder 1200 engine, the 4 valve engine, as did Guzzi in the early days of the 1200 and some call it the 8 valve, as did Guzzi later on. Which ever it is the 1200 are all 4 valve per cylinder engines. The 1100 was never effected by any valve wear issues. On the early 1200's the hardened cam lobes would ride on a softer faced tappet. The tappets had a special coating which in time could wear out in turn wearing the softer tappets.
Late in 2012 Guzzi started to replace the cam lobes with a roller type system which cured the problem. The issue was never a recall but Guzzi did convert the flat tappet bikes to rollers if they failed. I believe to this day they will supply the conversion kit (I believe there are 3 different kits depending on engine number) you pay the labour, but this is only available for bikes with a full Guzzi service history. A lot will depend on the quality of the dealer.
There's loads of info out there on the Guzzi 1200 tappet problem. It's very easy to tell if the bikes been converted. Take off a valve cover (no need to replace the rubber gasket) and it's clear to see if it has Flat or roller tappets.
The information out there would suggest that flat tappets will give up the ghost eventually. Personally I would only buy a 13 on bike or one that has been converted, having said that, given the choice I'd probably go for an 1100, not quite as powerful or smooth, but looks a whole lot better than the 1200 lump.

the one I am looking at is one of the first Norge models from 2006 - so if i understand correctly, this could be subject then to the tappet issues? I thought it was only on later bikes?

the one I am looking at is one of the first Norge models from 2006 - so if i understand correctly, this could be subject then to the tappet issues? I thought it was only on later bikes?

Sorry I didn't really make myself clear. The very early 1200's are still the 2 valve motor which is absolutely fine and has had no issues. 2006 should be a 2 valve 1200. An easy way to tell is, the early 4/8 valve 1200 motors had a black plastic cover which covered half of the valve cover. I think the earliest incarnation of this motor was 2008.

If you can post a pick I can tell you which engine it is. But if it's a 2006 1200, I'd be almost certain it's a 2 valve model which is a cracking lump with no known issues.

Thanks for confirming! I did a little research too and it would appear like this model is fine. Still in two minds what to do. Bike is generally in good condition but has some wear and tear (as you would expect aged 14!) Am guessing a good V Strom will be less maintenance, but i do like the idea of a guzzi

Thanks for confirming! I did a little research too and it would appear like this model is fine. Still in two minds what to do. Bike is generally in good condition but has some wear and tear (as you would expect aged 14!) Am guessing a good V Strom will be less maintenance, but i do like the idea of a guzzi

Most Guzzi's are an absolute piece of cake to service.

but i have absolutely no mechanical ambitions so is always done by a trained mechanic

That looks like a well sorted low mileage bike...low owners...low mileage...appears to have good history. This is definitely the 2 valve 1200 and should present no problems. If you don't like it, I doubt you'd have much trouble getting very near to your money back. (depending on what you give of course) But do be warned. If you get Guzzi's they really get under your skin.

i am on a really tight budget. I saw another nice one on ebay too but that is listed at £4299 but is a 2011 (tappets done) My only issue with this one (and he was very honest) were a few small bad bits, paint on wheels bubbling a little, small crack in fairing, exhaust a little discoloured, issue with plastic petrol tank (when you have to remove it) - i guess wear and tear but not sure i want to buy a bike knowing it cold get worse. Guess I cant expect anything else for a 14 year old bike though.....

Back
Top Bottom