1150 GS Prop stand

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soptastic

Reaction score
My 1150 GS leans over so much it is sometimes difficult to get back upright and if the camber of the parking area is such, it is in danger of self toppling over. I have replaced the bush at the pivot point - no difference - looks a poor design there. I have added some shims to the Big foot - not much better.
Anyone tried cutting and re-welding the bracket at a steeper angle? Lengthening the stand would mean it would interfere with the rear foot pegs.

Suggestions Ta?

Best is an ice hockey puck. I fixed a piece of hard nylon to the foot of my stand about 12mm thick and it was a bit of a PITA on a long tour (fully loaded) riding in countries where they drive on the right, because of the camber of the road if you need to stop by a kerb - stand was then effectively too long unkess you park nearly at a right abgle to the kerb.

Took a lot of filing before both stands could be used too - might be different on an 1150. Worked well on flat ground and would be fine if you don't go abroud..

48372228211_66898e218e_b.jpg

Trouble is, unless you have someone to pick up the puck for you, it can be a pain too.

Puck on a bit of string.

35898317015_d4d3497344_b.jpg

I just used a piece of Hard Wood, put it on about 6 years ago, you can get the angle just right with various thickness. Counter Sink the wood so the Bolts heads go flush. :okay

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    260.1 KB · Views: 274
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    231.3 KB · Views: 280
As suggested, I've used an ice hockey puck on 1150s for the last 20 years with no issues but with one of my other bikes of been playing with suspension heights so made an adjustable side stand.

Attachments

• 20180829_141101-01.jpg
    20180829_141101-01.jpg
    250.4 KB · Views: 264
Hi ,

I had a similar situation with my 2003 R 1150 GS upon inspection it turned out to be the bracket that mounts to the frame had a crack along the length of the bracket , well worth having a look as mine was almost close to giving way totally . Hope this helps and good luck.

Steve

Some good ideas here. Thanks. I've made a couple of prototypes to see how they work, but I'll definitely be investigating the bracket for cracks.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

The Adventure stand fits ....just.... Without interfering with the standard gs centre stand, alternately extend the gs stand. I did it on a couple using a stepped length of solid bar that slipped inside the original and was then welded up.
The foot was then rewelded onto the extension piece

I investigated the bracket which was in good health, thankfully. Pics of prototypes and finished job. I needed the extension to be long and the mock-up using a puck and spacers was too heavy. I ended up with a nice piece of oak which I had to remove a groove at the rear to clear the main-stand. Still looks a bit of a bodge but it works very well.

Attachments

• Puck 2.jpg
    Puck 2.jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 142
  • wood prototype.jpg
    wood prototype.jpg
    184.6 KB · Views: 133
  • wood.jpg
    wood.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 136
Status
Not open for further replies.