Fuel tank repair kit

Deise

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Has anyone here used POR15 Fuel Tank Repair Kit from Motoworks ?

i have a G/S 32ltr tank that was on bike that was unused for 9 years and has some corrosion.

would love to know if anyone has tried this kit.

Probably the best liner on the market is Caswells. I know the guy who created it, he's an industrial chemist. One of the few totally resistant to ethanol.

Curious myself as i must do the Guzzi tank sometime*.

*a nebulous vague version of "roundtuit" :rolleyes:

Has anyone here used POR15 Fuel Tank Repair Kit from Motoworks ?

i have a G/S 32ltr tank that was on bike that was unused for 9 years and has some corrosion.

would love to know if anyone has tried this kit.
Is it perforated?
Are you wanting to save the paint?
If no to both I’d get it acid dipped and see how it comes out,
Then pressure tested,as long as it’s not like a teabag it can be repaired.
Cannot say I’m a big fan of the liner kits.
If you use one and it fails you’ll end up back at square one getting it acid dipped to get the stuff out.

I’m with Mike on this one.
My neighbour had the tank from his Douglas Dragonfly professionally painted outside and lined inside ready for a group memorial ride to Flanders, but not long after he put fuel into the tank the liner started to break up, it looked like a massive problem to sort out, as some of the chunks were far too big to get out through the filler cap.
He could only ride about 3 miles and then his carb and or in-line filter was blocked up.
I don’t know if he ever did manage to sort it out, I did get him the address of a petrol tank repairer who said that he had some extremely aggressive solvents that might clear it, but as I say I don’t know how it ended up.

Just be careful and make sure it is done by someone who knows what they are doing and who is using the best available product.

thanks to NeilDD, abrasion, Ogmios and batman1 for input / suggestions

Is it perforated?
Are you wanting to save the paint?
If no to both I’d get it acid dipped and see how it comes out,
Then pressure tested,as long as it’s not like a teabag it can be repaired.
Cannot say I’m a big fan of the liner kits.
If you use one and it fails you’ll end up back at square one getting it acid dipped to get the stuff out.

Not perforated and driving without any issues.

i would like to save paint as i believe it has original signature of Gaston Rahier (RIP), even tho this too is damaged . perhaps by petrol or polishing.

thanks

Attachments

• 20201117_081837.jpg
    20201117_081837.jpg
    276.1 KB · Views: 165
  • 20201117_081757.jpg
    20201117_081757.jpg
    263 KB · Views: 164
Gallon of paraffin,
Some nuts and bolts,maybe some chopped up stainless steel pan scrubbers,
seal it up and put it in the boot of your car for a month or so.
drive like a bus driver:barf
Turning regularly.:thumb
Internal scrub,
Clean ,fit filters job done

Or do what one of my friends did.
Got an old cement mixer with a shot drum.
Made an adapter and bolted the tank to it.
2 days later and the tank was perfect inside, ready for coating.

PS
Forgot about the Caswell kit

I’m with Mike on this one.
My neighbour had the tank from his Douglas Dragonfly professionally painted outside and lined inside ready for a group memorial ride to Flanders, but not long after he put fuel into the tank the liner started to break up, it looked like a massive problem to sort out, as some of the chunks were far too big to get out through the filler cap.
He could only ride about 3 miles and then his carb and or in-line filter was blocked up.
I don’t know if he ever did manage to sort it out, I did get him the address of a petrol tank repairer who said that he had some extremely aggressive solvents that might clear it, but as I say I don’t know how it ended up.

Just be careful and make sure it is done by someone who knows what they are doing and who is using the best available product.
That sounds just like the product "Petseal".
Which did exactly that in my old - now replaced Guzzi tank. :rolleyes::mad: .
No matter how much of the lumps of muck i managed to remove from the tank, it still got into the carbs and jam the slides open! :eek:
The manufacturer gave no joy on the phone. Basically blaming me for preparing the mix wrong.
As i have a lot of experience in using similar catalytic sealants on floors, mixing them and knowing the signs that it's hardening - this honestly is unlikely.
I had got two lots as the Cali tank is large and i wanted good coverage. I think one of the two had already gone off before i started using it.
In the end the supplier simply wouldn't answer my calls. I think he recognised my number.

So i cant say as i'd recommend that.

Gallon of paraffin,
Some nuts and bolts,maybe some chopped up stainless steel pan scrubbers,
seal it up and put it in the boot of your car for a month or so.
drive like a bus driver:barf
Turning regularly.:thumb
Internal scrub,
Clean ,fit filters job done

just about matches my technical ability . thanks again. as soon as lockdown is over ........

That sounds just like the product "Petseal".
Which did exactly that in my old - now replaced Guzzi tank. :rolleyes::mad: .
No matter how much of the lumps of muck i managed to remove from the tank, it still got into the carbs and jam the slides open! :eek:
The manufacturer gave no joy on the phone. Basically blaming me for preparing the mix wrong.
As i have a lot of experience in using similar catalytic sealants on floors, mixing them and knowing the signs that it's hardening - this honestly is unlikely.
I had got two lots as the Cali tank is large and i wanted good coverage. I think one of the two had already gone off before i started using it.
In the end the supplier simply wouldn't answer my calls. I think he recognised my number.

So i cant say as i'd recommend that.

thank you

On Tanks.

As a R100GsPD newbie, I hope I’m right in assuming the plastic stock tank is Ethanol proof..Please say it is..😢

Back
Top Bottom