Saddle not releasing on GS Adventure

vee5

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
2010GSA with standard separate seats. Of late the seat has become difficult to release when turning the key (the key itself turns fine) and then yesterday it took several minutes of jiggling, general faffing & swearing to get the riders seat off. There's nothing getting in the way of the mechanism and nothing beyond an age commensurate amount of dust/dirt on the mechanism. I've applied an Exxon Valdez lube treatment to the mechanism which feels like it's improved things but time will tell.

Just wondering if anyone has had a similar issue?

Same year bike as mine - I have Russell day long rider and pillion seats on. I tend to have to press down on the seat whilst unlocking to make it easier. Every now and again I put a blob of grease on the mechanism, but the downward pressure is the key to release for me

Sent from out there somewhere

I would recommend inspecting the eccentric pin on the end of the key barrel for damage, and also make sure that the two latches are not bent inwards/outwards.

As mentioned - it will release easier if you are either sitting on the seat or pressing down hard on the rear edge when you are trying to release it.

I would also recommend, on the Right side - to get a long black cable tie, and tighten it on the Right hand latch and feed it rearwards threading it out the lower part of the pillion seat. Chop it off about an inch from where it protrudes. It will give you an emergency seat release if you have probs in the future. Sure, it is a security defeat, but I doubt if any thief will notice it.

All of my past (and current) hexhead's have required a downward tap while holding a little pressure on the key for the key to turn all the way and the seat to release.

Not sure if it helps, but I had a nightmare with the seats on my 2016 GS (not Advenutre). You can see how it got sorted here, but in a nutshell it seems the plastic components can get dislodged.

All of my past (and current) hexhead's have required a downward tap while holding a little pressure on the key for the key to turn all the way and the seat to release.

+1
Turn key with right hand, beat rear of seat sharply with left fist whilst thinking of ABS failure, pump controller, fuel strip, FD bearings etc. to teach it a lesson. Ping! Off it comes so you can remove the battery and deal with all the above. Simples!

As Blackal has mentioned check the latches under the seat to see if they have become slightly bent inwards or outwards. I had the same problem and that was the cause.

Back
Top Bottom