Advice on engine bars please

BDG

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I’ve been thinking about some engine bars or maybe head guards for my 1250 GS.

Problem is I’ve got long legs and big feet. The GS’s I’ve ridden with engine bars have annoyed me because I always end of knocking my shins when putting my feet down on the rear part of the engine/crash bars.

Anyone else experienced this and any type of bars that avoid this.

I’ve looked at the Winderlich ones and they may work but don’t want to spend the money if they’re as bad.

Other option is the head guards.

Any comments please?

My legs aren’t long enough to compare and I’m only a size 9 in boots, but depending where you are, I have Wunderlich upper and lower bars fitted to my 1250 and you are welcome to come and have a try, lockdown permitting and all that.

Warrington way.

My legs aren’t long enough to compare and I’m only a size 9 in boots, but depending where you are, I have Wunderlich upper and lower bars fitted to my 1250 and you are welcome to come and have a try, lockdown permitting and all that.

Warrington way.

That’s very decent thanks, I’m in Manchester, I’ll give you a shout after lock down. I’ve got size 12 feet

Started off with Touratech engine bars. Looked good, great fit, but just wanted a sleeker look so went for the Machine art engine protectors as I have no intention of using this bike off road.
Size 10 foot, average leg, 5 foot 10, never had a problem
With the engine protectors, again, great fit and these look better to me
In the summer I dropped the bike at standstill (Decided to try and get off whilst still in gear - senior moment). Couldn't save it and it hit the ground with a horrible grinding noise. No other part of the bike touched the floor other than the cylinder.
Damage to cover was a few indents into the plastic which are only visible if you bend down and look
Pros and cons for what bars or covers will do in a slide, but my main concern is a stationary or slow drop, anything fast and chance are it'll be more than the heads I'm worried about.
Wunderlich covers cover more of the frontal area but for me I wasn't sure about the metal inserts look

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFY5zwJ1IbY&feature=emb_logo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuXQs5lRrKk

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    252.7 KB · Views: 361
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    239.7 KB · Views: 345
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    272.4 KB · Views: 345
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    257 KB · Views: 329
Size 12's here, and Wunderlich bars. No problems for me.

Let’s just say I know what height boots I should wear with the scars and dents on my shins from the cylinder heads.

So tall boots a must and cylinder guards if not extreme off road and BMW (which is I think Touratech) bars if you are.

Oh...did I mention tall boots. You’ll thank me one day!

I also went wunderlich lowers and uppers and my size 13 dont interfere with the engine bars
also got the cross brace for the lowers

Bars

I bought the original bmw bars for my gs exclusive bottom bars bmw don’t do upper bars for the gs only the gsa I’m 6-2 size 12 boats and ive never had a problem and genuine bmw also hold good money if you ever want to sell on

Motoguard engine bars should do the job. Well made and a good price. See Motea web site.

Wunderlich covers in situ, fwiw.

Attachments

• IMG_2274.JPG
    IMG_2274.JPG
    105.9 KB · Views: 300
  • IMG_2276.JPG
    IMG_2276.JPG
    100.4 KB · Views: 287
Thank you very everyone, sounds like Wunderlich will get my money. Really appreciate the feedback

Back
Top Bottom