Keyless to Non-Keyless Conversion

Although I can't answer your specific questions, as an owner of a keyless GS, I'd have absolutely chosen non-keyless if this option was available. :D

KISS - AKA "keep it simple stupid" is IMHO a mantra which many manufactures (apart from Royal Enfield) are seemingly ignoring their customers at their peril.

Although I can't answer your specific questions, as an owner of a keyless GS, I'd have absolutely chosen non-keyless if this option was available. :D

KISS - AKA "keep it simple stupid" is IMHO a mantra which many manufactures (apart from Royal Enfield) are seemingly ignoring their customers at their peril.

Same here. I've had very weary problems with both of my GSs keyless ignitions and had two replacements. I'm hoping this latest one will see me through the summer at least. Anyway, a mate of mine wants to buy a new 1250 TE and wonders if he can do the conversion because it's the only feature of the TE pack that he definitely doesn't want. Even with the problems I've had I'd be wary of all the potential money and faff involved. It might just be better to just hope he doesn't have the same problems I've had. He doesn't commute so at least he doesn't have that pressure to keep a bike on the road.

I know it's each to their own but i'm not getting it, what's wrong with keyless?

Surely the OP is asking whether a conversion is possible, rather than resurrect an old chestnut where those that like keyless say so, and those that don't, say so. Surely plenty of other threads to go round this subject again.

Depends on the model year

Keyless is just a module to replace the lock & switch section of the old keyed part, and the relevant ECU to know it has keyless etc

if you bike was offered as keyed / keyless then it may be possible

if it was a key only model then i doubt it could be done cheaply

give us the model / year and month of production, then we may be able to help

If nothing goes wrong, nothing I suppose.

I get that, if you've had continuous problems it makes sense to change it to something more reliable. If you can. like Santa said, if there's a version of the same bike that has a key (Which there is) its got to be possible.

If you could switch from keyless to key, when you switched off (with the key) would the petrol cap unlock or would you need a keyed petrol cap as well?

Sounds far too complicated and expensive to me

Mike

Not easily I imagine as ISTA doesn't show it as a option to remove it on this bike that has it

ACtC-3fAjxtLZT9nBthANCPm-aeN4jZ_GUcFnjOexWLKDdewj6smqRpzEqb0Cwuew0HRRALwY4gj8OZN-7P5wlS6SnpRO-LExP2oUZbemcoSYRJgFOvfxEu2IgVtMbGhJf606tdQUcgqmYYP7XZOdOpGnfkgpg=w1023-h800-no

You hav't told us what year & month of manufacture

that way we can at least give you an idea of what your looking at, and oops i did forget the locking FFF

I have keyless on my current bike, and wife has it on her car. I was paranoid about it for a while, having read the odd horror story, but take it for granted now.

You hav't told us what year & month of manufacture

that way we can at least give you an idea of what your looking at, and oops i did forget the locking FFF

Hi, thank you for your offer but rather then inconvenience anyone on here, I've passed it back to my mate who can ring a dealer. I'm sticking with it on my bike whether it can be done or not as I can't be faffed changing it.

Hi, thank you for your offer but rather then inconvenience anyone on here, I've passed it back to my mate who can ring a dealer. I'm sticking with it on my bike whether it can be done or not as I can't be faffed changing it.

One thing to remember about keyless, if the dash ever shows a ABS and traction control error (caused by front wheel speed sensor) you need to hold the ignition button for about 5 seconds to turn it off

I had grief with my keyless RT, eating batteries, bike struggling to read it etc. As a last resort before ordering a new key, I opened it up and squirted WD40 inside. Its been fine ever since. As spraying WD40 is the only bit of electronics repair I'm capable of, I have no idea how or why this worked, it just did.

I have a keyless bike and twice now have left the keys in my topbox lock, last time I did it the key was hanging out ready to fall out. But then I am a fuckwit!

I always keep my 'keyless key' in the zipped inside pocket of my riding jacket

For all other locks, sat nav holding bracket, seat etc I have a non coded, ordinary key obtained from my dealer

Mike

I always keep my 'keyless key' in the zipped inside pocket of my riding jacket

For all other locks, sat nav holding bracket, seat etc I have a non coded, ordinary key obtained from my dealer

Mike

I do a similar thing but keep mine in my trouser pocket so if anyone nicks my jacket when I'm away from the bike and don't have it on they don't get the key. On recommendation from other tossers I used this bloke for my non coded key

https://www.key2code.co.uk/#/

Absolutely brilliant service, grear price and the key arrived in the post in a couple of days

Back
Top Bottom