Carb question

Mad Hatter

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Can anyone enlighten me regarding whether the enrichening device on a bing carb is supposed to be easy to rotate, or is slightly stiff the norm? I’m having a problem with a high idle when hot on my new to me basic and I’ve spotted that the enricheners are not fully closing to their stops when the choke lever is released and the cable is slack. I wondered if this is the problem so I pulled one of the carbs and I’m surprised how stiff the action is on the enrichener shaft. I can just about turn it with my fingers without the lever arm fitted, but I would have expected it to be looser than this. I removed the enrichener from the carb (it was fitted the right way round) and there doesn’t seem anything wrong with it other than more friction than I would have expected. I’m not familiar with bing carbs though.

Any advice appreciated.

Probably needs news springs to help them close, if you push the lever where the choke cable attaches and the choke closes fully, then put new springs on.
Pm me with an email address and I will send you some stuff over...ian

Ps it’s number 16 in the diagram

Can anyone enlighten me regarding whether the enrichening device on a bing carb is supposed to be easy to rotate, or is slightly stiff the norm? I’m having a problem with a high idle when hot on my new to me basic and I’ve spotted that the enricheners are not fully closing to their stops when the choke lever is released and the cable is slack. I wondered if this is the problem so I pulled one of the carbs and I’m surprised how stiff the action is on the enrichener shaft. I can just about turn it with my fingers without the lever arm fitted, but I would have expected it to be looser than this. I removed the enrichener from the carb (it was fitted the right way round) and there doesn’t seem anything wrong with it other than more friction than I would have expected. I’m not familiar with bing carbs though.

Any advice appreciated.

My enrichers were sticket,just cleaned them . Suppose the way to jusdge is if the return has enough force to overcome the friction.This latest bike i am doing hasnt been ridden for a long time and any grease has become very stickey or in some places like hardened glue.

Any advice appreciated.

My enrichers were stickey,just cleaned them . Suppose the way to judge is if the return spring has enough force to overcome the friction.This latest bike i am doing hasnt been ridden for a long time and any grease has become very stickey or in some places like hardened glue.

Back
Top Bottom