Throttle cable question

stovesy

Reaction score
I'm finding my way around a new to me GS 1150 Adventure and as part of the fettling I've come to renew a non working idle up (choke) lever.

Having bought it in the summer I've not had a need to start it with the idle lever in use. Taking the idle lever off, it's dead. The metal spring steel and ball bearing are chunks of rust.

I've also taken this opportunity to remove and clean the Bowden cable mixing box etc but have come across an issue.

When refitting the throttle cable back into the assembly, the throttle cable seems too tight. To the point where pulling the idle cable by hand does not affect (turn) the mixing wheel in the assembly.
There is no adjustment on the throttle cable at the handle bar end as it's wound in all the way.

I'd expect that on a closed throttle the mixing wheel is on or close to a stop, and also the slider on the idle up lever should, when pulled affect the mixing wheel slightly. This doesn't happen on my setup.

I can only conclude that the throttle cable is around a 1/4 inch too short !?

I'd appreciate any comments or suggestions.
Thanks in advance for your time.

Where did you get the cable from?

I've recently replaced the cables on my Rockster (R1150R), bought from Motorworks, and the cable was "exactly" the right length: ie it needed ALL the slack adjustments wound right down to nothing but then it was exactly right - obviously this is to allow the cable to stretch a little over time and still be usable: ie it lengthens the working-life of the cable.

Also - be absolutely sure that you've routed the cables correctly - if the outer sheath is taut anywhere it will reduce the working length of the inner: only by a tiny amount - but enough to make a difference when the cable is new.

Where did you get the cable from?

I've recently replaced the cables on my Rockster (R1150R), bought from Motorworks, and the cable was "exactly" the right length: ie it needed ALL the slack adjustments wound right down to nothing but then it was exactly right - obviously this is to allow the cable to stretch a little over time and still be usable: ie it lengthens the working-life of the cable.

Also - be absolutely sure that you've routed the cables correctly - if the outer sheath is taut anywhere it will reduce the working length of the inner: only by a tiny amount - but enough to make a difference when the cable is new.
That was my experience too - no problems

Back
Top Bottom