98' fatboy

big fella

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hello all,
I am going to look at a 1998 Fatboy this weekend. Its done about 30k miles.
Is there anything I should pay special attention to. Any issues with these.
Afaik its a 1350cc carb model and is a 95th anniversary model.

Cheers
Bf.

The 1340 was a lovely motor. Through personal experience I would take it for a run and then check the base gaskets for any blowing. Other than that I would (and did) trust it to go anywhere...:)

Edit - A really nice, old world, dead simple motorbike. As said above, if you like it then buy it.

Make sure the engine is started from cold with you present and get it fully warmed up and check for any oil leaks. It’s quite low mileage for its age so probably has not had much use.

My 1990 FB was very under used and I had to have various seals and gaskets replaced (dried out and cracked due to age) as it was leaking oil from under the primary.

I also had the carb refreshed and fuel line replaced as it was cracked and leaking. Otherwise the old Evo engine is pretty robust.

Looks like a nice bike. :thumb2

30k is low miles, see what service history there is and have a look at the belt ... for delamination or cracks..

Check the clutch for smoothness and see how easy it Snik’s in neutral... she’s good adjustment/maintenance..

Dip the oil when cold..

And if you do buy it... let it warm up before over reving it..

What tyres are on it?

OEM Dunlop’s are made from concrete.... watch in the wet..

Most ( apart from tricky) prefer Avon’s....if you run Avon’s run em 4-5psi over book

And don’t pay much of a premium for a 95th..... no real additional value..

Thanks for the info Gents. I didn't realise that the gaskets could let go if not ridden often. The owner says his mate that works for HD used to service it. I was curious about the anniversary status regarding value. That aspect wouldn't make me buy it. Just looking for a nice easy machine for the good weather rides. The road king I had last year was a bugger to shift about the garage. How would the Fatboy compare weight wise. Looking at the air breather and screaming eagle seems to be embossed. Would this mean there maybe a bit of tuning done or just a screaming eagle air filter fitted.
Cheers.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

What tyres are on it?

OEM Dunlop’s are made from concrete.... watch in the wet..

Most ( apart from tricky) prefer Avon’s....if you run Avon’s run em 4-5psi over book

OEM Dunlop’s are fine (including in the wet). Check them out for yourself and change if they don’t suit your riding. It’s no big deal.

I actually run the OEM Dunlop’s about 2psi below the recommended on my FB and that makes a difference IMO. :thumb2

The road king I had last year was a bugger to shift about the garage. How would the Fatboy compare weight wise. Looking at the air breather and screaming eagle seems to be embossed. Would this mean there maybe a bit of tuning done or just a screaming eagle air filter fitted.
Cheers.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Weight wise. Not a lot of difference although the FB will be slightly easier to move around than a RK with panniers etc

It’s a carb model so it will have been re jetted for a stage one pipes and filter.

certinally looks ok in the pictures and has not been negletted in any way. If his mate has serviced it, check the service history book .

Good luck

That’s a stock Evo air filter cover - with an SE sticker - maybe the filter is SE - almost certainly jetted.

They suffer from carb icing quite bad..

About the only issue really

Check out my Evo picture- same housing

Back
Top Bottom