Reinforcing Rear Subframe On An 1150 GS

Udders

A Needy Twat
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I’m planning on doing an Iceland big bike tour next year ( one organised on here ) and like my creature comforts as in big comfy air bed, warm sleeping bag, big tent for myself etc.....
Now, I’m also putting bigger metal panniers on rather than the standard plastic ones cos I’m going to drop it more than once and want the extra strength / protection they offer. Am I going to need to strengthen the rear subframe? I’m never taking a passenger ( single seat ) so is it necessary? Would it help? :nenau

No need - I've ridden tens of thousands of kilometers on bad roads with all my camping gear and the fragrant Mrs Three Dawg on the back of my 1100, and my subframe is fine.

You might want to consider a slightly heavier spring if you've ditched the original shock, and soft panniers if you forsee dropping the bike as soft panniers may transmit less force to the subframe in an off.

There were commercially available brackets to support the rear rack, i think by Wunderlich (?) and you may find some pre-loved ones for sale; maybe try a Wanted ad on here. They were essentially a bracket that utilised the two rearmost mounting holes for the plastic OEM panniers and extended backwards to come up under the rear rack rail. Quite simple for a basic metalwork shop to reproduce i suspect.
A fractured rack was not uncommon on the 1150, usually caused by overweight top boxes :augie

There were commercially available brackets to support the rear rack, i think by Wunderlich (?) and you may find some pre-loved ones for sale; maybe try a Wanted ad on here. They were essentially a bracket that utilised the two rearmost mounting holes for the plastic OEM panniers and extended backwards to come up under the rear rack rail. Quite simple for a basic metalwork shop to reproduce i suspect.
A fractured rack was not uncommon on the 1150, usually caused by overweight top boxes :augie

Look for Givi top box support brackets

Ah yes, fractured racks can happen. Because I have a rack extension (Rugged Roads) and can now carry more than a tiny bag on the rack I reinforced that area with a couple of plates from Caribou Racing in the States. If you're not using the rear seat I wouldn't bother because anything heavy should go directly behind you, not hanging off the back.

I have a pic of the plates somewhere, will try to post later.

These are the Caribou ones on my bike - I had to get the aluminium bracket machined up so I could mount the Rugged Roads plate and the supports.Don't think it would take much to fabricate a pair. Worth doing, the o/e rack is truly one of the most patheic things ever fitted to a bike.

Pile it on! It's only a problem when you have to pick the bastard up.:D

I’m planning on doing an Iceland big bike tour next year ( one organised on here ) and like my creature comforts as in big comfy air bed, warm sleeping bag, big tent for myself etc.....
Now, I’m also putting bigger metal panniers on rather than the standard plastic ones cos I’m going to drop it more than once and want the extra strength / protection they offer. Am I going to need to strengthen the rear subframe? I’m never taking a passenger ( single seat ) so is it necessary? Would it help? :nenau

I would say this.
You should be thinking how can I carry less weight and enjoy my trip much more rather than how do I make my already strong and heavy bike capable of carrying even more than it was designed to.
Hope that makes sense :)

Keep the weight forward as much as you can, otherwise the front of your GS will feel vague and unmanageable.
It's one reason why on all my 1150adv the seat was converted to allow a heavy bag to sit in the pillion location....just like Fritz at BMW hoped. :)

Attachments

• P1000232-01.jpg
    P1000232-01.jpg
    260.4 KB · Views: 232
Yes, I know what you’re saying. :thumb2 I have already got a single seat conversion going on. :thumb
I already have a metal cover over the tool tray to put a big waterproof Givi roll top bag on.
Don’t get me wrong, I’m not wanting to bring everything including the kitchen sink but don’t want something like the rear subframe to cause a problem with what I will bring. On a normal road trip it wouldn’t even cross my mind but with the extra stress / bouncing about being off road the majority of the trip I’m trying to eliminate any possible problems.
If you think the subframe is already strong enough for a rough ride then that’s all I’m asking and I’ll leave it alone. :thumb2
This was about 8 years ago on my way to do the Stella. I’ll probably lose the tank bag and have metal panniers too now.

Attachments

• E20B4DDC-6206-4D9E-9DFE-506631A49ACA.jpg
    E20B4DDC-6206-4D9E-9DFE-506631A49ACA.jpg
    245.7 KB · Views: 214
Oh, and don’t worry, with me on the bike the weight will certainly be over the front! :p

My new ( second hand ) Ohlins rear shock is currently being rebuilt at MCT so will get that built to suit the trip / luggage etc.
Can’t seem to locate a front Ohlins at the moment so will probably just buy a brand new one from Motorworks and get that supplied to the right spec too. :thumb2

Then I just need Mikeyboy to service it, new clutch and a few other bits and jobs a good un. :thumb2

Somewhere in my garage I have a plate which clips into the pillion seat receivers........it's fitted with a Givi plate as well.

Any help to anyone?

Yes, I know what you’re saying. :thumb2 I have already got a single seat conversion going on. :thumb
I already have a metal cover over the tool tray to put a big waterproof Givi roll top bag on.
Don’t get me wrong, I’m not wanting to bring everything including the kitchen sink but don’t want something like the rear subframe to cause a problem with what I will bring. On a normal road trip it wouldn’t even cross my mind but with the extra stress / bouncing about being off road the majority of the trip I’m trying to eliminate any possible problems.
If you think the subframe is already strong enough for a rough ride then that’s all I’m asking and I’ll leave it alone. :thumb2
This was about 8 years ago on my way to do the Stella. I’ll probably lose the tank bag and have metal panniers too now.

Lose that mahoosive top box and keep the tank bag - the bike will be much easier to handle on dirt roads if you do. If you need more than a tank bag, two 35 litre panniers and a 40 litre roll bag on the seat travelling solo you got too much shit.:D

tell me there were 2 people on the above picture.

Yup, two up on the road for the thick end of three months camping. The black bag on the top is light - only contains our (synthetic) sleeping bags, could have done with something lighter and down filled.

I don't mean to be rude but........ :D

Listen to the advise and your subframe will be fine.
Don't listen to it, load any bike like that and you won't be fine. Trust me :)

Go on...be rude.....you know you want to....:D

Some people who I've done trips with in Iceland, Morocco etc will recall my diplomatic chats about all the shite I convinced them to dump from their bikes before setting off :D

I don't mean to be rude but........ :D

Listen to the advise and your subframe will be fine.
Don't listen to it, load any bike like that and you won't be fine. Trust me :)
Which is exactly what I’ll do. How is someone who’s not been on one of these trips supposed to know what’s what without asking? Like the tyre question, I have absolutely no idea what the terrain is like so asked. Got a straight answer. Perfect.
Does the subframe need strengthening? No is the answer. I’ll leave it alone. Sorted.

Back
Top Bottom