Tall old guy gets his test ride

Yes its Coopers, now Vertu. The Rallye as it comes from BMW has the Rallye bench seat, low screen and no Centre stand. Vertu Do the Rallye with 2 piece seat, centre stand and normal screen. They do that as the BMW Rallye is not a good seller.

Once again, they may do that by choice for the bikes they get in for stock but if you sit down with the salesman you can order one with the rally seat as standard

Me - age 67, six foot five, current bike, Africa Twin Adventure Sports 1000 manual, 920mm seat height
Test bike - 1250 GS Adventure TE, Rallye, with two piece seat, normal screen and Akraprovic

THE GOOD
Engine power and torgue
Low speed smoothness
Lack of vibration
Great brakes
Great handling
Exhaust not loud and looks good
TFT screen lovely
Gearbox slick

THE NOT SO GOOD
The two damping modes seemed to be either side of just right for me. Its ironic that electronic adjustment gives you just two settings and manual adjustment is fully variable. I am not sure how the 'Dynamic' part of the ESA works - ie how it responds to road shocks
The screen was just OK, flapped about a bit and the adjustment mech wasnt exactly luxury. A screen is so important - its always in your eyeline
The footrests felt setback and legs felt cramped. I felt my hips were being tilted forward. Its as though I needed to slide back on a flatter seat. The one piece seat would be the answer as others have said on another thread. It seems I would need to buy the bike with two piece seat then get a second one piece seat , either a tall one , or get it modified.
The AT is so tall and roomy that everything else is a compromise

Did you adjust the seat to be in the high position at the front and low at the back? It stops that tipped forward feeling.

The pillion seat can be fitted in a forward or backwards positions.

That 2cm can allow you to sit further back.

Did you adjust the seat to be in the high position at the front and low at the back? It stops that tipped forward feeling.

No I didnt do that. I left it high/high. My mate who has just bought a 1250 GSA did what you suggested. He has a lowered suspension GS but was feeling scrunched up in that important area ! He levelled the seat as you suggested and it has cured his problem. I didnt do it as I was focussed on a high seat due to 36 inch legs. I am almost ready to order the GSA and it will either have a high riders seat which seems to lose the seat tip forward due to the extra foam, ie it looks level, or a High Rallye seat which dosnt seem to have that slight depression that the low rallye seat has, ie its flatter. Third option is a custom seat made locally. Finally lowered pegs

The pillion seat can be fitted in a forward or backwards positions.

That 2cm can allow you to sit further back.

Oh I didnt know the pillion seat moved back and forth ! Yes that would allow a slide back, dont know how the gap would work though,

Back
Top Bottom