R90S Review

EKIMYRF

And on with the show
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
The Drizzle Gang are back with a bike that some of you may know and its a cracker

I desperately wanted one back in the day. All I could afford was my Mk3 Commando. Now that I've been able to afford one for several years, I've never really wanted one.

Watched that first thing this morning, another great video Mike.

Some great background info' from Dave - stuff that I didn't know - He is one lucky bloke owning all those lovely bikes.

From the video the R90S seemed to run along just like any modern bike, a really usable classic.

ANOTHER bike that I can clearly remember where and when I saw my first one. Watkinsons Motorcycles Scarborough. Straight out of the crate in fabulous Daytona orange. What a bloody eyeful, and a jaw dropping price, to a young apprentice earning fifteen quid a week.

Great stuff..:thumb2

Enjoyed that thanks. I had one back 1977 and it was a very reliable bike, I travelled widely with it. Fond memories led me to buy another from this site last year and after major surgery by MickyBoy it now runs as it should and is a pleasure to ride. Definitely a practical classic.

First BM I ever rode and a quantum leap beyond every other bike I'd tried up to that point! Paint quality, the smoothness of that engine once it got into its stride, the comfort of the ride and those great gobs of torque when you opened up those pumper carbs. :D :D :D

Watched the vid : the M in BMW is for Munich!!!! :eek: Still a good vid though. Ta for posting.

Watched the vid : the M in BMW is for Munich!!!! :eek: Still a good vid though. Ta for posting.

Thanks for watching - I picked him up on that in the subtitles ,
its amazing how easy it is to make simple mistakes on camera I am doing a Morini one at the moment I watched my bit back and I am talking a load of bollocks so had to redo

A well put together video. Thanks for posting. It’s strange that the bike has not been kept as standard on some obvious items but if the price was right, who cares?!

Great video and thanks for posting. :beerjug:
I did have a laugh when the speedo was blurred out when overtaking the car :thumby:

That was a built in feature of the speedo :)

Believe it or not I have had comments re reckless riding (mainly from our colonial chums) and how scary the ride bit is of the video FFS, I had one guy telling me our roads in the UK are dangerous and the same size as their driveways in the US

It reminds me of the time I went out with a mate on a Bikesafe run.
The police bike is behind me observing and we come across a line of cars, doing about 5mph less than the speed limit.
I gunned it and overtook the six cars, looked in my mirror that there was the police bike right behind me.
I was clearly over the speed limit.
When we got back to the starting point, my mate was " bloody hell what got into you, overtaking with a cop behind you"
My response was that if I didn't ride like i normally would then the policeman wouldn't be able to give me constructive advice.
The policeman never even mentioned it :D
Point being that if you are going to do a review, then it needs to be in the real world.

Once again, thank you :beerjug:

Believe it or not I have had comments re reckless riding (mainly from our colonial chums) and how scary the ride bit is of the video FFS, I had one guy telling me our roads in the UK are dangerous and the same size as their driveways in the US

Thats what we try and do with these tests make them as real world as possible and try and bring the whole experience owning, maintaining, riding etc, we dont always get it right but at leas I get to ride bikes I have dreamed of owning

Enjoyed the riding video, quite normal, safe riding IMHO. Tricky subject but >5000 motorcyclists die per year in USA compared with <400 UK. Population is 5x greater. So go figure.:nenau

First BM I ever rode and a quantum leap beyond every other bike I'd tried up to that point! Paint quality, the smoothness of that engine once it got into its stride, the comfort of the ride and those great gobs of torque when you opened up those pumper carbs. :D :D :D

I took mine out this afternoon for a wee spin - first time since I got legal number plate!
When you're next up north you'd be very welcome to come and visit me and give me the benefit of your knowledge,
I'll assume you won't have had your tea as the kettle will be on!

Great video,I enjoyed that and thanks for posting it.Have always liked the R90S since they first came out,a friend of mine in Cambridge had one ( could never work out how he could afford it ) and he changed the wheels to cast Lesters he got from the States.Think he also modded the airbox by drilling holes in it,a known mod at the time.It was absolutely immaculate and I sometimes wonder if it is still around somewhere.

Unfortunately, as with a lot of bikes like this from that era, the prices have gone way out of what I can afford.

Kimbo

I took mine out this afternoon for a wee spin - first time since I got legal number plate!
When you're next up north you'd be very welcome to come and visit me and give me the benefit of your knowledge,
I'll assume you won't have had your tea as the kettle will be on!

I'll take you up on that sometime Iain. I'd completely forgotten you had an R90S and a proper one - smoked silver. Not that terribly garish, nouveau riche Daytona Orange! :D

My knowledge is limited to that test ride and stuff I picked up over the years of airhead ownership. The 90s is a lovely beast but really it's a design exercise: an airhead in drag! :D Then again, as Ray Davies wrote, some drag stars can be VERY desireable!!!

Readers of this thread might be interested to know that Ian Falloon is doing a 2nd edition of his book on the R90S. He's going to be doing it with input from Herr Muth himself, so it should include interesting stuff not in the first edition. A wee google should bring up more info?

Readers of this thread might be interested to know that Ian Falloon is doing a 2nd edition of his book on the R90S. He's going to be doing it with input from Herr Muth himself, so it should include interesting stuff not in the first edition. A wee google should bring up more info?

I could only find a 2nd edition of the BMW Story via google?

Back
Top Bottom