Fuel strip for 2009 R1200GSA availability?

lagauk

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Something that seems to be rarer than hens teeth is a fuel strip for a 2009 GSA.

Anyone know of any main dealers or independent garages that might have a fuel strip in stock?

Lind Motorrad in Welwyn don't have one and neither does BMW Park Lane and both have no idea when they will be getting any in as apparently they are on back order from the supplier.

Cheers

Lag

Something that seems to be rarer than hens teeth is a fuel strip for a 2009 GSA.

Anyone know of any main dealers or independent garages that might have a fuel strip in stock?

Lind Motorrad in Welwyn don't have one and neither does BMW Park Lane and both have no idea when they will be getting any in as apparently they are on back order from the supplier.

Cheers

Lag

Given that it's an OEM part, it would be highly unlikley that an indie would have one one the shelf, given that they were last fitted 10 years ago,

if there on back order, could be for any reasons

One - They are waiting for a restock of parts,

Two - There waiting for enough orders to tell the supplier to produce the minimum build quantity

they released a new part number earlier this year allegedly for a more durable unit - not surprised they have run out - its probably worse and the supplier probably didn't realise he needs to make a few million of them in a 4 month window

if you have ESA you can swap to a different more reliable design of float sensor - it only works with ESA bikes as the ZFE is different and it contains the logic for either sensor type - there's massive post on this forum on what to do - the float is much cheaper to buy

they released a new part number earlier this year allegedly for a more durable unit - not surprised they have run out - its probably worse and the supplier probably didn't realise he needs to make a few million of them in a 4 month window

if you have ESA you can swap to a different more reliable design of float sensor - it only works with ESA bikes as the ZFE is different and it contains the logic for either sensor type - there's massive post on this forum on what to do - the float is much cheaper to buy

Not strictly true,

The 06 had a float fitted and that didnt have ESA

its been covered before, you need to have the correct ZFE that has the option to run float and strip , as you have to pin swap and code the float

its in the fuel strip conversion thread

Pretty sure its the Basic & low ZFE's which the option can be enabled in

Thank for the comments Santa. I'm sure there are many reasons but I was asking if anyone knew of anywhere that had one in stock.

I was let down yesterday by Lind in Welwyn even though I had booked my bike in with them five weeks ago to get the fuel strip replace yesterday. I left the bike with them around 9am yesterday morning to replace the fuel strip and seeing as they said it would be an all day job I also asked them to do an oil and oil filter change while they had the bike. They called me at 4.30pm to say the work had been done and there's me thinking happy days....but...and here's the rub....they couldn't do the fuel strip as they didn't have the part in stock :blast.

So basically they are having staffing issues in various areas and in fact two of the guys behind the desk were from a Harley Davidson dealership helping them out. That's fine and understandable but why the fuck did they wait till 4.30pm to tell me they don't have the fuel strip? If they had informed me before hand or even on the morning I wouldn't have left the bike with them and I could have done the oil change myself.

They knew the bike was going in for the fuel strip replacement and they have all my contact details so it was the lack of communication from them that pissed me off plus I had to take a day off work for no reason in the end.

Thanks for the info on the float conversion I'll check it out. I can do some basic spannering but not sure about doing that myself.

Happy to have a chat with anyone that has done the float conversion on a hexhead 1200GSA.

Cheers

You could try contacting Denz0 on this forum as he posted the original details on swapping the fuel strip for a float .
Denz0 lives down your end of the country and may know of someone who would do the conversion for you or help you.
He is a very nice chap and also a wizard with suspension.

You could try contacting Denz0 on this forum as he posted the original details on swapping the fuel strip for a float .
Denz0 lives down your end of the country and may know of someone who would do the conversion for you or help you.
He is a very nice chap and also a wizard with suspension.

+ 1 Denzo started the fuel strip conversion thread, loads of data in there which is very helpful

the first GS had a float - but I believe the whole idea was different and the Trip computer we get today wasn't out with all the bits they have now

the ZFE HIGH (which came with ESA) is the ONLY one that can work with the float on bikes after 2007

Not strictly true,

The 06 had a float fitted and that didnt have ESA

its been covered before, you need to have the correct ZFE that has the option to run float and strip , as you have to pin swap and code the float

its in the fuel strip conversion thread

Pretty sure its the Basic & low ZFE's which the option can be enabled in

My 06 has had 11 fuel strips now. Just saying.

Back
Top Bottom