The Trots.

Went to Morocco for three weeks with Timolgra and a few other residents of this forum quite a few years ago. I agree on the bottled water, Tim sent back some bottles that hadn't been opened in front of us. But to allay any fears, we ate Tagine, a couple of us (me included) ate salad, we had street food, restaurant food, petrol station food (usually omelette), mint tea, beers where available, and none of us got the trots. Maybe we were just lucky, but we did have a fantastic trip, hope you have the same!
Mark

3am. In a tent in Marrakech. 10 years ago on the last scoots ride.

Why am I wake?

Oh no! Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck!

Getting out of a mummy sleeping bag and an unfamiliar tent, in the dark, with a dose of the squits is no fun at all! And that was just from wearing a helmet and gloves from one of the other guys who was also stricken!

So hand gel, local yoghurt, sealed water, whatever it takes! Anything to avoid that eyes open in the middle of the night moment!

Immodium? Nope. Flush it through and drink plenty of safe water. Mango juice is good for recovery too. I learned that from a spell of Delhi Belly in India which also taught me to go veggie and certainly no chicken, ever!

Sent from me

I went to Egypt end of last year n a business trip and after flying Egypt (shit) Air just about lost my entire world out my back end the next day. First time I really thought I wasn't going to make it to the bathroom. Had to run down the corridor to my hotel room and then my entire world fell out my arse. Imodium did the trick though! Wont go anywhere without it now. So yes, let it all out first BEFORE you take the Imodium. Imodium acts like a big cork!
Enjoy the food, be sensible and maybe avoid anything that looks dodgy but resign yourself to the fact that your going to get the shits. Water indeed is the main one for me.

DSCF0070-X2.jpg

Almost exactly 20 years ago, a group of us headed off for a Moroccan raid - report (including my account of Bakerman's projectile diarrhoea) link here. Bakes spent several days holed up (hole down?) in a Marbella hotel recovering.

We were blessed to have the late Dr Mark Dilloway on our trip who was able to dispense some professional advice on how best to deal with a dose of the shits. His advice, however, did not reach the ears of Silverfish - Mike also having a degree of bowel looseness.

Whilst riding north in Spain, he signalled to me that he needed to stop. Unbeknown to me at the time, he'd actually shat his pants. He headed off down a small road where, he told us later, he found a closed petrol garage. Around the back of the garage, he cleaned himself up but deposited his laden trollies in the middle of the garage yard before riding off and rejoining the group.

I've never felt able to return to that part of Spain!

:D

Stay hydrated. That’s just as big a cause of the trots as poorly prepared food. I took some powdered electrolytes to add to my Camelbak, didn’t suffer the dreaded shits

An use your own judgement, too. Travelling around India donkeys years ago, the accepted wisdom was that eating street food meant instant D&V.

The reality is that a lot of street food is cooked right before you in very hot oil in 'woks'. That's actually a pretty good way to kill off lots of nasties.

Not sure about the best course of action if you do contract it, but I do know that you should try not to sneeze.

if we're getting into stories of being caught short; in 2021 we headed down to the Black Forest and my riding buddy stopped suddenly in a layby up in the mountains. Apparently also about to shit himself asked if I had any paper towels or even old newspaper. I had my cleaning cloth for the windscreen which refused to give him but I did have some standard household wipes which I use to clean the flies off the screen. He took the latter and despite managing to let lose, regretted his decision to use the wipes as the harsh cleaning compound in the towels made is ring sting dreadfully till we could find a chemist and get some savlon or the like for his ass.

Never had any bother in Morocco, always ate in busy places. Working near Ashington last year however....

Good advice about eating local yoghurt. I've been ill twice having travelled there six or seven times and it wasn't pleasant. As much as I like tagines I think they were the cause.

I once lost 48 hours in India through a combination of diarrhoea, vomiting and then complete unconsciousness thanks to a Subway sandwich - I still baulk when I walk past a Subway shop in England if I get a whiff of their produce.
It was a work trip and when I went back to the office 3 days later and asked why no-one had checked on me they said they hadn't realised I was missing.

Thanks for all the advice guys I've ordered some charcoal tablets.
I'm sure it'll be right.

There's two types of accredited drinking water in Morocco, town water and water from a well or spring source that has a filter fitted. As you ride along you might see some light blue 'pipeline covers' at the side of the road. This is the town water pipeline distribution system. Morocco has some 100,000 people working in its water industry and exports its know-how to other countries in Africa. The point is, town water is safe.

But if you are the sort of person who lives in Nottingham and gets the squits from drinking Sheffield tap water, this might not help much. Being bikers of course you may not remember the last time you drank water without hops.

Coffee is a diuretic, so when you order a coffee in Morocco (ask for 'nus nus') you will invariably also be given either a glass or bottle of water. The bottle will be town water that's been stored in the fridge, and this is where earthmover's comment about Timolgra sending back 'opened' bottles might have come from. They were likely free bottles of refilled and chilled town water that you don't get charged for...

Forget about avoiding salads (rarely washed anyway), forget about cleaning your teeth with bottled water. Town water varies across the country, in some places it has a faint smell of chlorine, which is another reason for sticking a bottle in the fridge and letting the chlorine dissipate. Mostly though it's fine and the sweetest water I have ever tasted anywhere is from Taroudannt.

Bottled water can be fairly dangerous. Sidi Harazem has so many minerals in it, its main use should be to clean dentures. Coca Cola's Ciel is tap water (!) with added chlorine—so much chlorine it made my son-in-law ill. Sidi Ali is OK, so is Ain Ifrane.

I tend to eat where the locals eat. After all if their local restaurant gave them the shits every day, they wouldn't be going there. But most importantly, as your mother always told you... WASH YOUR HANDS before eating anything. This is especially true when eating the delicious Moroccan bread, the 20 dh note you handled five minutes earlier might have been carrying all sorts of nasties. EVERY eating establishment from the lowliest cafe upwards will have a wash hand basin in the corner. Use it.

Twenty years ago I was one of a party of 16 on a fortnight trekking with mules adventure in Morocco. I was the only one who didn't end up 'praying to the china god from both ends' and I had to make up bulk supplies of rehydration sugar/salt liquid to treat my ungrateful fellow trekkers.

And talking about hydration, when you arrive at some hotels you may be greeted with awfully sweet mint tea and a bowl of the delicious dry roasted salted peanuts. This is deliberate as the sugar and salt are the essential components of rehydration solution.

If after all this you still get the runs, try to avoid using imodium and the like, as it's akin to sticking a cork up your bum. Let nature play its part in ejecting what it identifies as poison in your gut, drink loads of liquid and only use imodium if you really have to travel.

I'm reminded of a hilarious bit out of Charley and Ewan's first adventure when the visit the Aladdin's cave of Touratech in Germany and come away with a waterproof toilet roll bag. Top tip: take wet wipes instead which can be used for an additional variety of uses.

Back
Top Bottom