Lifetime cover as long you service your KTM at authorised dealers

Sounds like a really good scheme, especially if it really does cover pre-owned bikes, I do wonder how old the pre-owned bikes can be though.

Sounds like a really good scheme, especially if it really does cover pre-owned bikes, I do wonder how old the pre-owned bikes can be though.

6 years /60,000 miles for singles or 8 years/80,000 miles for multi cylinder bikes.

Mine goes in before Easter, so good to get this thrown in for the year.

Good to know, wondering if to do service myself this year as bike is now just over 4 years old and therefore no chance of any KTM "goodwill" if it just exploded, but this may sway me a bit towards keeping the dealer stamps.

Likely to keep it until 6+ years now anyway as post Covid / Having a kid I am not clocking up the miles anywhere near as quick, having dropped from 7-8k a year to about 3k.

Also very interested in how the 890 / 990 SMT stuff turns out, or if KTM decide on a 1290 SMT which is what I would really fancy.

My 7 year & 8 month old 1290 SA-T was serviced yesterday at Jim Aims, Braintree....& I was presented with a 12 month breakdown/recovery policy FOC :DD.

And checking the itemised bill, the only item that had gone up vs. the same service last year was the labour rate per hour (par for the course); filters, oil, etc were all the same price.

So it's pretty much free breakdown as long as you spend on average £300 a year servicing your bike with a main dealer.

Last time I checked, AA membership was a lot cheaper than that.

So it's pretty much free breakdown as long as you spend on average £300 a year servicing your bike with a main dealer.

Reading through the article this seems to be all it is, just jazzed up with fancy words. It’s not extended warranty, just means they either fix you at the roadside like any other recovery service will try to or recover you back to a main dealer rather than a local workshop of some sort, and provide onward transport or maybe overnight accommodation as per pretty much any breakdown policy. So where’s the gain? Well my guess is they get your bike in a main dealer. Whole things designed to bring business into their dealer network. Ok if your under warranty, expensive if your not.

Yep

I have Europ-Assistance with my French bike insurance, it’s about 30 euros a year extra and covers me all over Europe

started getting it a couple of years after the manufacturers garantie & assistance ran out, I do most of my servicing myself

£300 has got to be a minimum for an LC8 service and well over double that for the 18K.

I think I'll carry on doing it all myself.

Many people pay the main dealer every year regardless, or have to go there because it needs the mothership to sort out a load of error codes.

Gonna buy another Super Tenere when I retire and just chuck the odd oil change at it, even the bloody Tracer has electronic suspension and radar cruise now - FFS!!!

Many people pay the main dealer every year regardless, or have to go there because it needs the mothership to sort out a load of error codes.

Gonna buy another Super Tenere when I retire and just chuck the odd oil change at it, even the bloody Tracer has electronic suspension and radar cruise now - FFS!!!
Can't remember having any error codes on mine (890) ....... sorry.

Or my previous 1190 R's

Or my previous 990's (56,000 miles in 12 months on one of them without a single problem).

....... :D :D :D

Had "General failure" intermittenltly on the 1090 when the Mrs was riding it in the Alps, this cleared itself prior to returning home and dealer could not find anything, it never came back.

1290 had a pre-load failute that needed clearing ("my fault" as I moved the bike a few feet whilst the pre-load was adjusting - brain fart moment, but they really ought to be able to reset themselves)

Lastly, bloody MTC failure caused by low battery - battery was charged, but 1st ride of year to MOT on a cold morning, it slowly cranked and screen went blank, but carried on slowly cranking and started, with engine running the TFT went through the startup screen and got all confused. I understand this in not uncommon and sometimes bike will enter limp-mode, I was lucky and it runs fine, but why on earth can this not auto-reset?

That's about 40,000 miles / 7 years worth across 3 bikes, 3 codes and 2 needing dealer tool to reset a simple error the bike should be able to auto-resolve.

The newer the model the more chances of this, was the 990 even fly-by-wire, it certainly did not have semi-active suspension, cruise control, traction control, phone connectivity etc etc

I have probably had 3 codes come up in my cars in about 400,000 miles and 15 years

Reading through the article this seems to be all it is, just jazzed up with fancy words. It’s not extended warranty, just means they either fix you at the roadside like any other recovery service will try to or recover you back to a main dealer rather than a local workshop of some sort, and provide onward transport or maybe overnight accommodation as per pretty much any breakdown policy. So where’s the gain? Well my guess is they get your bike in a main dealer. Whole things designed to bring business into their dealer network. Ok if your under warranty, expensive if your not.
KTM told me they just want the bikes serviced properly with the correct parts and fluids.
They are equipped to do the job, so why would they want to lose out to the railway arches cowboys.
It's just an incentive, something for nothing, try not to read any deeper than that.
When you're stuck at the roadside you want all the options at your disposal - This is just another!

Back
Top Bottom