One thing after another!

Orbit

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
R1200GS LC 2017, I put fog/spot lights on and they illuminate. Symbol on dash. 3 miles later they turn themselves off??? Everyday this week.

Any ideas?

To add to the above, once they go off you can't turn them on again. When you stop and turn the bike off and on again, press the switch and they come back on.... For 3 miles before going off again.

From where did you hook up the power to them?
Sounds like the canbus may be causing the fuse to trip?
The fuses employed are ‘poly fuses’ which reset when they cool down after the excessive current through them has stopped.

From where did you hook up the power to them?
Sounds like the canbus may be causing the fuse to trip?
The fuses employed are ‘poly fuses’ which reset when they cool down after the excessive current through them has stopped.

Standard BMW spots. Seems to be similar amount of time every time.

Sounds familiar. Even if they're connected to the propper OEM plug for AUX lights, it has to be programmed at the dealer because CANBUS is sensing more load on that line then it's allowed. The same thing is with people installing one extra horn in parallel with existing horn. It works few times then when you need it the most, it doesn't work because CANBUS switched it off.
For all those reasons I use EzCan that I program the way I want.

Sounds familiar. Even if they're connected to the propper OEM plug for AUX lights, it has to be programmed at the dealer because CANBUS is sensing more load on that line then it's allowed. The same thing is with people installing one extra horn in parallel with existing horn. It works few times then when you need it the most, it doesn't work because CANBUS switched it off.
For all those reasons I use EzCan that I program the way I want.

These are not additional lights. They're standard fitment BMW lights.

These are not additional lights. They're standard fitment BMW lights.

I understood that but were they installed by the dealer? Did they come with the bike from factory? If yes, then you have to go there and ask to check programming. If you or somebody else installed them without reprogramming then you may have a problem.

No fitted at factory. Standard equipment. Standard shit equipment!

R1200GS LC 2017, I put fog/spot lights on and they illuminate. Symbol on dash. 3 miles later they turn themselves off??? Everyday this week.

Any ideas?

The clocks have gone forward to British summertime, the bikes light controller knows this and is turning the lights off because they aren’t needed in daylight.

The clocks have gone forward to British summertime, the bikes light controller knows this and is turning the lights off because they aren’t needed in daylight.

:D:D:D Can't sleep? Closing time?:D:D

Any ideas?

How long have they been doing this?

Set-up may be different but when the OEM spot lights on. my 850 started switching on and off at random the fault was a control unit in the headlight. Needed a new headlight to fix a problem with the spots. Just what you need in the wilds on Namibia - a dud, sealed-unit headlight.

Then they wonder why bods favour old bikes for travel beyond Tesco...

How long have they been doing this?

Set-up may be different but when the OEM spot lights on. my 850 started switching on and off at random the fault was a control unit in the headlight. Needed a new headlight to fix a problem with the spots. Just what you need in the wilds on Namibia - a dud, sealed-unit headlight.

Then they wonder why bods favour old bikes for travel beyond Tesco...

I think @richardbd is on to something. And his assumption makes perfectly sense, as both lights are powered from the same source, thus, it only takes one of the lights to devolop a fault that will shut them both down.

Easiest way to identify the faulty lights is to disconnect one at a time and see if the other one will remain powered.

The chance is of course that the one faulty light will draw less than double of 'normal' power, so both of them will work if only operated one at a time.
If this is the case, the faulty light out to develop more heat than the healthy one, and this will probably be felt by merely touching the lamp housing.

Well it turns out that when you have your lights on the automatic setting it's also connected to the spots. Which is why I can't turn them on again as the bike knows it's not dark enough.

I can’t quite get my head around the bike deciding that you shouldn’t have your lights on. I’m all in favour of technological assistance, but an E-nanny, no ta.

That doesn’t happen with my 2020 1250, it’s got OEM fog lights and I can have them on with just the DRL and no headlight. With headlight on auto.

Back
Top Bottom