2005 GS1200 rear light warning

HarrisBikeNut

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Fitted an LED rear light to my 05 GS12 some time ago. Very occasionally the warning light on the dash would come on but then go out of its own accord. Just recently it came back on and stays on. Using my GS911, I can clear the fault but it then reappears immediately. Light works fine including brake light. Any thoughts? I have seen a wiring part on EBay that is listed as the "cure" for this but £11????

Bob

The bike was built for a filament bulb. Probably the ECU is seeing the LEDs low current as a fault. An inline resistor may sort it.

I had exactly the same fault on mine after replacing the OEM filament light with an OEM LED one . Tried the inline resistor to no avail - quick trip to the main dealer and 10 mins coding and the fault was no more . Mine was a 2005 model as well .

Fitted an LED rear light to my 05 GS12 some time ago. Very occasionally the warning light on the dash would come on but then go out of its own accord. Just recently it came back on and stays on. Using my GS911, I can clear the fault but it then reappears immediately. Light works fine including brake light. Any thoughts? I have seen a wiring part on EBay that is listed as the "cure" for this but £11????

Bob

It is possible either the running light or the brake light is not working as, unless I am missremembering, the bike will see this and warn you on the dash, but use the other light instead - e.g apply less power to the brake light to make it look like a running light. I'd suggest pulling the light and applying 12v directly to each pin on the bulb connector to confirm the LEDs are working for both brake and running lights.

I had exactly the same fault on mine after replacing the OEM filament light with an OEM LED one . Tried the inline resistor to no avail - quick trip to the main dealer and 10 mins coding and the fault was no more . Mine was a 2005 model as well .

Sounds like the LED and bulb versions use different CanBus routines

Back
Top Bottom