Advanced Riding

A closed throttle (or not open enough).

A bike in this condition compresses the forks (and tyre for that matter) as the weight is moved onto the front wheel.
The ideal condition is enough throttle to give even weight distribution front and rear. You generally get this when there is enough throttle to drive the bike through the corner. A little too much throttle is better than a too little.

I thing I got your point

slowing down before the turn and progresive turning of the throttle while turning

I also like to highlight that you have never experienced the teaching experience by Mike so you really don't know what it is like. So you are as blinkered as I am. :aidan
a) How do you know what I have or haven't experienced? :confused:

b) What have I said about MW that is blinkered? :nenau

c) What have I said about MW at all? :nenau

d) Don't let the facts get in the way of your having a go at me fella. ;)

I thing I got your point

slowing down before the turn and progresive turning of the throttle while turning
Yep.
If you aren't already doing that (as I suspect) you should find the bike feels much more planted when you do.

a) How do you know what I have or haven't experienced? :confused:

b) What have I said about MW that is blinkered? :nenau

c) What have I said about MW at all? :nenau

d) Don't let the facts get in the way of your having a go at me fella. ;)

I don't .. I assumed as I am blinkered :aidan

Having a go? Thought it was the same tone as I was getting? Just banter ;)

cutting corners instead of following the road when you can see that no one else will need that bit of road. Danny

you see, this is the issue I have with ROSPA type stuff - the point of a bike is to go ROUND the corner, enjoy leaning the bike, NOT straight line them!!

yep, if wanting to ride really fast or track or chasing a suspect ;) fine...its the same as riding way on to the opposite side wide into left handers...personally, I like to carry lots of corner speed and lean angle coz that is fun :D

I don't .. I assumed as I am blinkered :aidan

Having a go? Thought it was the same tone as I was getting? Just banter ;)

Fair play.
My initial point that you took the wrong way, was that MW is probably one of the best instructors in the UK, not definitely the best. Being but a human I am fairly certain there are others equally good. There may even be others better (who choose not to shout about themselves - not everyone instructs for profit). The simple fact is without trying them all none of us know.

That's no slight of MW tho.

As is not the thread I linked to, it was just as a matter of interest.

you see, this is the issue I have with ROSPA type stuff - the point of a bike is to go ROUND the corner, enjoy leaning the bike, NOT straight line them!!

yep, if wanting to ride really fast or track or chasing a suspect ;) fine...its the same as riding way on to the opposite side wide into left handers...personally, I like to carry lots of corner speed and lean angle coz that is fun :D

I think you might have this round the wrong way....RoSPA teaches you to follow the outside edge of the corner so you get the maximum view around the bend, rather than straighten them out.....unless of course you have a cear view of the road ahead and then you would probably be encouraged to take the route of least deviation.

I did my RoSPA as a method of training after passing my test and to be honest it made me a faster rider than I ever imagined....:D It obviously all depends on your experience and ability, but I found it really enjoyable and would highly recommend it.

Which is fine, but that's not the purpose of advanced training.
It's purpose (allegedly at least) is to teach you the safest way of doing things.
Whether you then choose to use those tools afterwards (at all or just some of the time) is totally up to you. It's just getting those tools into your tool box so you can if you choose.

I certainly don't ride or drive all the time as I would on a demonstration run, but I do use all of those skills when I think they are appropriate, and straight lining IS appropriate sometimes (think empty wet greasy roundabouts) so it's a tool worth having in the box.
I always say first thing to anyone I take out for the day that I will teach what I believe to be the safest method for a given situation. It might not be the one they would choose, or even the one I would, but it will be the safest.
Its up to them to think about their riding and move on from that with a bit of risk assessment.
It's the same with IAM and RoSPA etc. But they can't officially tell you to do as you please afterwards as they are road safety organisations so have to be seen to "do the right thing".

I think you might have this round the wrong way....RoSPA teaches you to follow the outside edge of the corner so you get the maximum view around the bend, rather than straighten them out.....unless of course you have a cear view of the road ahead and then you would probably be encouraged to take the route of least deviation.

I think thats what they meant by straightening it out chap.
Whereas he would rather go around the S bend, even tho he can see it is clear to take the route that is more stable.
No real biggy, as long as grip and stability isn't already compromised..

I think thats what they meant by straightening it out chap.
Whereas he would rather go around the S bend, even tho he can see it is clear to take the route that is more stable.
No real biggy, as long as grip and stability isn't already compromised..

yep - exactly what I meant :thumb2

take the point re conditions, and I would hope common sense would pick most of that up (eg roundabout) and like most training; its a guide not a hard fast rule I guess

I have been accused of finding corners on a straight road :augie :jibber

I would hope common sense would pick most of that up
It probably would for you. Unfortunately common sense is a fairly rare commodity so advance training tends to account for the lowest common denominator.

like most training; its a guide not a hard fast rule I guess
Aye. There's a few hard and fast rules its a good idea to stick to (stop before you hit the stationary object, that kind of thing;)), but a truly advanced rider will choose the course of action most appropriate for the situation. Regardless of whether its in a blue book or not. :)

I have been accused of finding corners on a straight road :augie :jibber
Straights are sooooo boring.:thumb

oh yes !!! it does and when you look at it believe me, it's scary !!!

This can also happen if the tyre profiles are mismatched.

In an ideal world you will be able to just take the rear tyre to the edge but still have some to go on the front. Happening the other way around is NOT good :eek

Andres

I too would be happy to assist

Hi there,

I am a current class 1 advanced traffic police motorcyclist............one that has a sense of humour, doesn't take things too seriously and only work in the job cos it houses and feeds my lot......just about.
Last year I joined the IAM by sending them copies of my qualifications, went and met my local IAM group where I was asked if I would become a senior observer. I went out for a check ride with their "top" guys and was so disappointed and embarrased that I never returned as I didn't want to waste my time as I don't get much time to myself as it is.

I would be happy to have a ride out or chat or whatever really, just helping people to ride safely and making good progress whenever possible..........it really isnt rocket science, just confidence and ability which both come with practice etc etc,

All best regards,

Dunnie:aidan:Motomartin

I am a current class 1 advanced traffic police motorcyclist............one that has a sense of humour, doesn't take things too seriously and only work in the job cos it houses and feeds my lot......just about...

....it really isnt rocket science, just confidence and ability which both come with practice etc etc,

All best regards,

Dunnie:aidan:Motomartin
Fresh air. Breath of.
Most traffic motorcyclists I have met although actually nice blokes once I got to know them either thought they were riding gods, or at the very least gods gift to riding and truly believed they were something special.
Nice to see some live in the real world.:thumb2

This can also happen if the tyre profiles are mismatched.

In an ideal world you will be able to just take the rear tyre to the edge but still have some to go on the front. Happening the other way around is NOT good :eek

Andres

Adam is right..... Andres

there is no mismatch case here
I thought, the first time I saw the front tyre "ended" that there was something wrong with it (the tyre store is in business for 25 years..no chance to be something like that)
After cross checking many opinions, Adam is the 5th, i have to concure that it is my driving technique that need fixing and not the tyre.

The thing is that I've never had to consider my turning after 22 year on 2 wheels....never toooooooo late to do so though!!!!

corners difficulty...

you'll be needing a trackday sir

advice on pipe and slipper selection

you'll be needing IAM sir :hide

...only joking before someone shoots me down

Back
Top Bottom