Auxiliary lights and the bits you need to install them

SBD

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi,

had my GS for three years, and am considering whether to fit some extra lights. Commuting through town at dusk in the rain suggests something to help the fozy duckers see me, and the high beam option for the odd evening jaunt, or indeed to wake up the ones that don’t see me first time.

I have read a number of threads on here, and would be grateful for the experiences of those who have trodden this road.

It seems that there are a couple of high end options, and some cheaper approaches, and some downright tat. Don’t want the latter, but equally, I’m not going to be crossing the Darien gap at night, so I don’t need the gold plated diamond encrusted options either. It also seems that the options are separate wiring & switches, or CAN integrated, I think the latter is the only realistic option, but that can be BMW or aftermarket.

I think I need, and would be grateful for recommendations for:

Lights ideally LED, dimmable, probably two
Light bar, probably mount under beak
CAN controller
Wiring, fuses, - I can do this but would like to know if there are any tricks, or pitfalls to avoid

do I need some kind of CAN programmer to integrate the controller & bike switches?

cheers

I was in a similar space as you awhile back. I went for a Puig pair and I’ve been happy out.

I have the ezeecan II so wired them direct to the ezeecan under the passenger seat.

They are set at 80% day and night then 100% for high beam and flashing.

It was an ok install nothing you wouldn’t do yourself with a bit of patience

Reactions: SBD
Surely you don't need a Can controller if the lights are wired via a relay?
How you would then sort out the dim option I have no idea. I assume that is the reason for you referring to "the options are separate wiring & switches".

However I came across these the other day:

Or this one:

Interestingly the high beam is white and the low beam is amber. Just connect to the appropriate headlight wiring using relays, no need for dimming.

tom

Thanks both.

You don’t need a can controller, but given the bike is designed with CAN, it seems a bit daft avoiding it, and without it, you’ve got no way of controlling brightness. Well, I guess you could arrange that the lights were in series on low beam, and in parallel on high, but it’s a bit clunky.

So Puig lights (about £136) and a Hex EasyCAN (about £185) and the opportunity to add a decent horn.

doesn't sound ridiculous.

cheers
S

There is an option with the ezeecan to allow dimming via the wheelie controller. I can’t remember exactly but it’s something light hold the wheel left for 5 seconds, the added lights flash and you wind the wheel up or down for power increase/decrease

Reactions: SBD

Back
Top Bottom