Compo, Clegg & Foggy ride again ....

Micky

Never knowingly understood
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Motorcycling's own 'Last of the Summer Wine' trio set forth on another 'adventure' ....

John Sprigg aka 'Clegg' (1200GS-A) Tom Birtwistle aka 'Foggy' (1200GS-A)and me Micky as 'Compo' set of for our first trip of the season, to Ireland, Thursday 23rd February. First night, prior to catching the ferry Cairnryan to Larne we would normally stay at the Kelvin House Hotel at Glenluce, just a short hop to the ferry the next day. Great place indeed and a warm welcome ... however we decided to try somewhere else and opted for the Blue Peter Hotel at Kirkcolm just north of Stranraer. It was OK, also a warm welcome, cramped rooms but otherwise cheerful enough. We all agreed that the Kelvin House Hotel was the better though and so will revert there for the next trip. We had arrived at the Blue Peter in the dark, in the drizzle, so soon were to be found propping the bar up :thumb

The diet was gonna get hell this week :(

John and Tom at Cairnryan ...

L1000220-L.jpg

..... and 'Compo'

L1000222-L.jpg

Ol' Tom knows Ireland probably better than most and led us across to t'other side from Larne to Ardara by a tortuous devious back road route probably more suited to tractors and trail bikes .... but hey, we're on GS's :thumb

Nicely into the Nesbitt Arms, Ardara, we're here for two nights, we found our rooms, but not before sampling the delights ...

L1000240-L.jpg

We've used the Nesbitt Arms many times. The welcome is always friendly, the food good. Kegs were quickly placed to reserve our very own parking bay

L1000225-L.jpg

Of course Ardara has maybe some of the best bars in Ireland ...

Tom feeling at home in Nancy's Bar

L1000256-L.jpg

John in contemplation mood in The Corner Bar ...

L1000244-L.jpg

John, and his beautiful wife Jean, had been coming on foreign jaunts and tours for many years. Following a long illness Jean died shortly after getting home from my Black Forest Tour in 2010 She had refused to give in and accompanied John on their trips and tours to the very end. We had a few Guinness's that night ... and the diet went to hell!

One of the last piccies taken of John and Jean in the Black Forest...

John-Jean-2-L.jpg

John knocks another one back ... by gum the Guinness was lovely :beer:

L1000238-L.jpg

Just a couple of shots of the scenery, to maybe whet the appetite of those thinking about going to the west coast of Ireland

P1000031-L.jpg

L1000279-L.jpg

Then we headed further south to Westport and another favourite, the Mill Times Hotel, formerly the Westport Inn, in Co. Mayo

We had arranged a deal, rather Tom had. Three nights (mid week) bed and breakfast with one full four course evening meal for €109.00 Anyone that has stayed at the Mill Times will know how good the food and accommodation is, how warm the welcome. With its underground car park it's virtually in the town centre ... a totally unspoilt small town surrounded by great motorcycling territory.

Decky and Stephen (UKGSer's Dec and Somclan) rode up from Cork to have a couple of days with us. Two great riders and great company. The Last of the Summer Wine was now the 'Famous Five' :eek:

Lunch halt at the excellent Lavelles Bar on Achill Island

L1000268-L.jpg

Decky now in contemplation mode

L1000273-L.jpg

Stephen with his usual grin

L1000272-L.jpg

Finally, on the final run in back to the hotel, John's 1200 runs out of petrol even though it showed 20+ miles left to do :eek:

L1000282-L.jpg

Soon sorted, a small petrol station six miles away lent us a plastic can and the 1200 burst in to life as without a care.

Wednesday 29th the Last of the Summer Wine trio set forth for Dublin Port and an overnight in Holyhead before John and myself having a cracking ride over the tops back to Yorkshire the following day. Tom heading north for his home near Morecambe.

Thank you lads for a great few days :thumb

Now a couple of 'on board' camera shots. Quality on uTube not as good as my originals. taken with a GoPro set on Resolution 3. There are higher resolutions that can be used but of course take up much more memory.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/1Hv_rYkq6xs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/TytCFX5SMnc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Adios Amigos and thanks for looking in

IMG1193-L.jpg

:beerjug:

Hopefully sorted JB .... why aren't you out on ya 'bike ;)

Better now, Mick

Lovely pic of Jean and John, she was a complete star - a lovely, lovely woman who we all miss a lot

John-Jean-2-L.jpg

She was such good fun, always had a smile despite her poor health, great fun touring with Jean around

Better now, Mick

Lovely pic of Jean and John, she was a complete star - a lovely, lovely woman who we all miss a lot

She was such good fun, always had a smile despite her poor health, great fun touring with Jean around

Cheers for that John. She never slowed John down at all, just sat there and never complained, always good for a laugh. She went on that last Black Forest trip to prove to herself she couldn't do it any more ... she went to prove to herself she couldn't do it. I ask ya .... anyone else just wouldn't have gone.

To Jean :beer:

Hey, d'ya remember this one ;)

Attachments

• John and Jean.jpg
    John and Jean.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 495
Micky, what a fantastic thread, you look as though you had a great time. I just wish that I'd have joined you all. John is going to get some stick for running out of fuel, he'll never live this down
And a wonderful tribute to Jean, we all miss her.
Malc:beerjug:

Cheers for that John. She never slowed John down at all, just sat there and never complained, always good for a laugh. She went on that last Black Forest trip to prove to herself she couldn't do it any more ... she went to prove to herself she couldn't do it. I ask ya .... anyone else just wouldn't have gone.

To Jean :beer:

Hey, d'ya remember this one ;)

Slovenia 2006?

On the Russian gravelled roads?

Was it Kranska Gora I think in Slovenia?
So sorry to hear about Jean, she was such a sweet lady.

Nice write up and photies, Mick

:thumb
Thanks for that Micky :clap :clap :clap

Thanks mick, the girls though it was a lovely tribute to their mum. i thought it was very fitting too, thanks again and thanks to all of you who have made lovely comments too. John

Ps Yes I have had help to get on here, thanks Rach.

Thanks mick, the girls though it was a lovely tribute to their mum. i thought it was very fitting too, thanks again and thanks to all of you who have made lovely comments too. John

Aye up.........................glad to see you've landed:clap

Plenty of Trials stuff here too:thumb

"Mr Smooth" where the hell didya drag that one up from John ;)

Great to see you on here ... welcome to the 21st Century :)

Welcome too to UKGSer land .... you're amongst friends :thumb

Enjoyed reading that, cheers Micky. :thumb2

Back
Top Bottom