Cooling vests

grantmac

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Anyone got one or tried one? Last trip to Germany was well over 25 degrees and even with my mesh suit I found it very warm. Doenst help that I ride with an airbag vest as well. Be interested in understanding how they work and if they are any good. Many available and prices vary too.

have a look at https://bikergirllife.com/best-motorcycle-cooling-vests/

not sure any of the evaporative ones will work if placed under an airbag vest. You would be blocking the escape route for the vapour.

the ones you put ice packs into would be difficult to use on a trip as where are you going to refreeze the packs after the first day?

do those ones with a fan you put on the rear seat still exist?

If you haven't done so already, get some lightweight/breathable t-shirts to wear. These will help a lot in allowing the body to breath, and sweat to release heat.

I was fine in those & my Klim Marrakesh in the 30's in Italy/Germany during June.

If you haven't done so already, get some lightweight/breathable t-shirts to wear. These will help a lot in allowing the body to breath, and sweat to release heat.

I was fine in those & my Klim Marrakesh in the 30's in Italy/Germany during June.
yes, I use these when in Spain etc, but they will struggle to wick away sweat with the airbag over the top

the isocool ones from https://www.mountainwarehouse.com/endurance-mens-t-shirt-p12580.aspx/navy/ are good and they have a 20% code for the BH weekend

Its one of the reasons i stopped wearing an airbag vest. It blocked too much passing air that keeps you cool which resulted in higher dehydration over a shorter time period.

I've just come back from 2 weeks in Spain and France ,the temperature was 31+ every day. I was wearing an air vest under a mesh jacket. I had initially wore a wick away t -shirt which I soaked in the sink before leaving and it kept me cool for an hour or so before having to re soak. Halfway through the trip I changed to a full cotton t-shirt, this stayed wet and kept me cooler for twice to three times the length of time.
Hope this info is of use ,enjoy the trip and ride safe

I’ve got an evaporation vest in the garage, fill it up with water in the morning and it seems to work pretty well for a whole day. I was probably wearing a mesh jacket on top though. Takes a while to fill as only one filling point and you have to sort of squeeze the water around the vest.

Anyone got one or tried one? Last trip to Germany was well over 25 degrees and even with my mesh suit I found it very warm. Doenst help that I ride with an airbag vest as well. Be interested in understanding how they work and if they are any good. Many available and prices vary too.
Happy to post you mine to try.

I have a Macna vest, it works well under a Klim Badlands jacket and Helite Turtle AirVest. The air enters the jacket via the front vents and exits via the rear vents after passing around the vest.

I can’t see any reason why a mesh jacket wouldn’t allow the same.

+1 with a Macna vest. Half ltr water, scrunch it up for a bit, will be effective for about 8hrs. Been riding in 35c heat, and the vest makes it bearable.
I wear it under a normal jacket with all the vents open.

Happy to post you mine to try.
Thats really very kind of you! Thanks. Let me see what's available on the market. Probably if I am going to take the plunge and go for one, might just as well buy one. I do like the sound of the Macna vest especailly what @jefformston was saying which seems to be exactly what I have. I have a rukka mesh jacket & troos and the Helite airbag over that. If the Macna works fine with all that clobber on then it should do me fine. Obviously not expecting it to work that same as if I were not wearing the airbag - that does restrict some airflow - but seems to the best bet.

Am in a bit of pickle....
I am in London Canary Wharf until Thursday midday. I just missed the courier from MotoLegends to buy a Macna cool vest and get free delivery by tomorrow. I need it latest by tomorrow evening 1700. Saturday off to France for 10 days...Any advice or am i proper f****d? Short of getting on a train myself......

I've got a BMW cool down vest, the type you soak, and uses evaporative cooling, it works well for me, under a Klim Marrakesh. If I don't go the whole cooling vest route, I have a couple of cooling scarfs which work way better than they should do, and are cheap enough for a punt.

There's loads on Amazon, and they really do work LINKY

missed the ''last courier'' option from Motolegends on Tuesday so took the tube, train and bus to get to them today from Cannnnnary Wharf. First time at their shop in Guildford. Pretty helpful staff, manager I think had a South African accent and they soon had me on my way with my new vest. Glad I tried it on as the sizes are a bit strange.... and they had all sizes in stock for me. So +1 for Motolegends.
A bit of a pain to get to by bus from Guildford station as its on an out-of-town industrial estate not easy to find. Got a bollocking from the bus driver for not 'ringing the bell'' to get off. Funny, when I boarded I did ask the driver if they could point me when I had to get off as I was unfamiliar with the area..... kind of spoilt my visit to Guildford for a few hours. Hey ho - off back to NL in a few hours again....

Where abouts in NL are you heading back to? I know you are sorted now, but the Louis mega store in Tilburg had an offer on with the latest Macna's when I was in there a few weeks ago.

Really, I must say I did not check. I am in The Hague. Anyway, I got one now and will take it on our trip to France on Saturday

A big plus for the Macna vest. On our recent France tour which had temperatures above 35 degrees, this vest really did work. Just don't overfill or it wont deliver the right level of cooling!

I have the BMW cool vest, and rode in +40’ in Namibia, it would give you 1-2 hrs relief, before it became ineffective, so I would say yes they are good. I’ve started wearing a KLIM airbag vest and as mentioned above I doubt they will be compatible together.

Back
Top Bottom