Daily Mileage?

Ruadh08

Reaction score
Just back from a trip from Scotland to Majorca and back. On the way round Spain, I was usually doing a comfortable 150 to 250 miles per day, but on the way back up through France, I did west of Toulouse to London in a oner (650 miles) followed by London to Scotand in 7 hours ( 458 miles).
I was amazed at just how comfortable the GSA was with the big daily mileage, albeit with a sergeant seat. Nice weather helps as well!

Interested to hear from others about daily mileage experiences.

Paul G

On my 3 month solo trip to Mongolia and Siberia it varied depending on weather, road conditions, where I'd slept, where I was sleeping that night and how often I stopped for pictures or nosebag.

It was usually anything from about 250-600 miles a day. I found that when I stayed in hostels or hotels I would leave later and invariably do less miles. However, I predominantly wild camped for a week or so at a time and because I'd generally be asleep not long after dark I would be up early, usually before sunrise, so I'd be on the road early too. As a result I'd have done a couple hundred miles before brekkie.

I'd generally stop a couple of hours before sunset to find a nice spot and set up camp, eat and do other personal admin before setting down. Hostels were a treat and were usually rest days and I liked to arrive mid afternoon early enough to give me plenty of time to find it and, if it was full, to find an alternative.

Sometimes, when I was really in the zone I would ride almost from sun up to sun down, but when the roads or weather were really bad I'd inevitably be traveling much slower, stop more often and pitch camp sooner, simply from exhaustion.

I did a dash round Alps in July from Scotland, over one week, and averaged just short of 400 miles a day. My first and last days were the 'biggies' and tiring ones, at almost 700, but I set out early and knew I had a hotel with a shower at the end of it. I really squeezed a 2 week trip into one, and whilst I was more than comfortable on my standard seated GS, when I return to Alps I will definitely take longer and spread it out more.

On my Alaska trips, we will do 400 on quite a few days which is pretty easy on good roads with no traffic and in good weather:thumb This surprises a lot of folk who wouldn't dream of doing that here. On one of the days, we do 500 coming down the Dalton Hwy which takes between 12 and 14 hours and is very challenging but do-able with the right attitude:thumb

I did 962 miles in a day once and the last 100 or so were feckin hard work and not enjoyable at all.

Mileage

I wouldn't recommend this but I did Venice to Sunderland via Dover in one go on my 1150rt this year, I started 9am from Venice all day all night the ferry to dove 5-30am then back to Sunderland for 2 pm on the bike 29 hours the mileage came in at 1270 ish, I actually got the ferry from Corfu to Venice but I slept on the ferry so that bit doesn't count

my personal best

john o'grouts 0600 start , lands end 2145 then home to cheam in london 0400hrs , total mileage just shy of 1200 miles , taking , going round brum the wrong way , and ofshoots for food and fuel . could hardly walk when a got off . done on a m-g cali jackal .

Many years ago I was getting on the ferry at Cherbourg & saw a cramped bloke barely able to stand. Poor soul looked tortured with some horrific disability.
Turned out he'd ridden straight to Cherbourg from Antibes in the one day.

On an 850 Le Mans. :blast

Mind I once rode from Lincoln to Bideford & back in one day on my Fireblade (600 miles or so).

I had done a deal to part ex the 'Blade for a Pan & was really looking forward to the relaxed ride back. All done through tinterweb, photos exchanged etc etc etc...When I got there the dealer tried to knock another £200 off the value of my 'Blade. "Well you're not going to turm round & ride all that way back on a Fireblade for the sake of £200 are you?", he said.

Wrong.

Back in 1980 I rode my Z1 from Cannes to Taunton in one hit, stopping only for fuel, a smoke and a sandwich (and the ferry of course). Recorded 1015 miles that trip. Set off at 6.00am and arrived hme at 2.00 am the next morning. My arse was very sore but my G/F's was even worse. I never saw her again. :D

700 miles from Stuttgart to Calais/Dover to near Poole (Dorset)

Start 09:00 finish 22:30

BMW F650 Funduro

quite often, go Dusseldorf to Newcastle, and Luxembourg to Newcastle, over 600 i think, and Basel to Newcastle maybe another 200 on top (Versys)

While we're bragging..I rode from Bordeaux to Cherbourg, got the ferry to Poole then rode to Putney, London in 1 go. Left Bordeaux at 08:00 and arrived at home at 02:30. Knackered!1052 km

I'd rather take more time off work than have to rush around... What do you actually see and enjoy on the trip with these sort of miles???
Any fool can do stupid milage but there is no enjoyment in it:augie

I hear you. I prefer to not do stupid mileages either. Problem was I dropped the Mrs off at the airport and it was delayed. So I was delayed and did not get past Bordeaux the 200 km I had planned. Also got lost and had to dash for Ferry,. Then arrived at 00:30 in Poole and it was tipping down badly with f all to do in that place so had no choice but to carry on home! Otherwise I prefer a slow countryside drive!

Just back from a trip from Scotland to Majorca and back. On the way round Spain, I was usually doing a comfortable 150 to 250 miles per day, but on the way back up through France, I did west of Toulouse to London in a oner (650 miles) followed by London to Scotand in 7 hours ( 458 miles).
I was amazed at just how comfortable the GSA was with the big daily mileage, albeit with a sergeant seat. Nice weather helps as well!

Interested to hear from others about daily mileage experiences.

Paul G

every day commute = 160
biggest day in the saddle = Prague to London 850 miles

Day 1) london to Bayonne. 650ish miles
Day 2) Bayonne to Algerciras. 875ish miles
Day 3, 4 and 5) - across to morocco and a figure of eight around morocco.
Day 7 and 8) - back to london.

Total mileage door to door 4550 miles. James Burton and Forry, both from the N/E ended up doing 5500 door to door. :D

Done the same trip a few times but coming back different routes and ended up covering more miles in the same time scale. .

And not forgetting the bastard ride from hell nearly three years ago.

London to St Raphael in one hit. Overnight in a cheapo dive. Then back home.
On a bastard Motoguzzi Griso. Lovely to look at, shit to ride any distance.

Too often I hear men boast of miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen- Louis L'Amour.

Too often I hear men boast of miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen- Louis L'Amour.

Different days mean different things.
Some days lots of miles, some days a bimble.
Some days you see things, other days you achieve things.

Variety is the spice of life. :D

And lets face it, Loius L'Amour didn't have much choice in his day.

“Destiny guides our fortunes more favorably than we could have expected. Look there, Sancho Panza, my friend, and see those thirty or so wild giants, with whom I intend to do battle and kill each and all of them, so with their stolen booty we can begin to enrich ourselves. This is nobel, righteous warfare, for it is wonderfully useful to God to have such an evil race wiped from the face of the earth."
"What giants?" Asked Sancho Panza.
"The ones you can see over there," answered his master, "with the huge arms, some of which are very nearly two leagues long."
"Now look, your grace," said Sancho, "what you see over there aren't giants, but windmills, and what seems to be arms are just their sails, that go around in the wind and turn the millstone."
"Obviously," replied Don Quijote, "you don't know much about adventures.”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote

Back
Top Bottom