Did I miss the memo? FD oil

mpgscott

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
So this is a new to me 2011 GS that I’m going through and servicing all the usuals that I like to do.

With this FD, so drained it and there was 225ml came out. Now it was last serviced by a very reputable garage so I’m wondering had something changed in the last year as I’ve always taken it to be 180ml in the twin cam final drives.

This isn’t the first time, also bloody oil filter was well beyond the 10nm recommended, it took a hell of a force to remove.

Three broken bolts due to being over tightened all sorted now. Makes you wonder how much attention these supposed good garages are.

Kinda glad I do it myself hence one of the reasons to go back to a twin cam.

I wouldn't get to het up with the oil in the FD. I've lived through various phases of paranoia

I've told myself that LESS than 180ml is probably not good... More than 220ml is probably not good either.

So I refill with 190-200ml

So anything in between should be ok. This is where I'm at. But please note, the paranoia remains. I change it twice a year

Sent from my SM-S908B using Tapatalk

I went back to an air oil twincam from an LC
Lc was nice, but reliability was shite

...........Don't tempt me.

I saw that lovely 30th Anniversary twin cam GSA for sale on here a few days ago and had to sit on my hands rather than commit. I'm no fan of vario luggage but that could be easily changed. If I had a buyer in line for my 1250GSA I probably would have jumped at it.

I don't get why I feel no love for my 1250. Its a fine bike and on paper it should be so much better than my old Hexhead, but it isn't.

I don't get why I feel no love for my 1250. Its a fine bike and on paper it should be so much better than my old Hexhead, but it isn't.

they added toys and bling - but the basics went backwards

just read this - https://www.mcnews.com.au/bmw-r-1300-gs-pure-review/ - where unlike UK mags he claims the new suspension is a vast improvement - I think we ALL need to realise as 3 year old ruin absolutely everything (as just brain dead gamers with no education and common sense has been completely bred out), we must also see this change has impacted the drivel the journalists put on paper. Some comments in Car and most bikes mags are becoming so pathetic we are at the point where UK mags shouldn't be read.

I saw that lovely 30th Anniversary twin cam GSA for sale on here a few days ago and had to sit on my hands rather than commit. I'm no fan of vario luggage but that could be easily changed. If I had a buyer in line for my 1250GSA I probably would have jumped at it.

In one, there is no no connection with the LC, the Hexheads / TC's have something you cant put your finger on, but it's there

I went back to an air oil twincam from an LC
Lc was nice, but reliability was shite

Did the same here,I liked the TC GS that much that I sold my 1250RT and bought a TC one too. Just lovely bikes to ride and so easy to maintain.
I got both for the sale price of the LC.

So this is a new to me 2011 GS that I’m going through and servicing all the usuals that I like to do.

With this FD, so drained it and there was 225ml came out. Now it was last serviced by a very reputable garage so I’m wondering had something changed in the last year as I’ve always taken it to be 180ml in the twin cam final drives.

This isn’t the first time, also bloody oil filter was well beyond the 10nm recommended, it took a hell of a force to remove.

Three broken bolts due to being over tightened all sorted now. Makes you wonder how much attention these supposed good garages are.

Kinda glad I do it myself hence one of the reasons to go back to a twin cam.
if your final drive has a breather put in 225ml of oil. If it doesn’t have a breather 180ml.

In one, there is no no connection with the LC, the Hexheads / TC's have something you cant put your finger on, but it's there
I think it’s the ride by wire throttle I don’t like.

I somehow feel disconnected from the engine, it’s dull and anodyne in use compared to the cable and return spring feel of the Hexhead, which to me feels more natural.

I will go and do some digging to tell if there is a breather or not. Hadnt heard of that before so i will do some investigating..

Thanks for the heads up..
The rubber breather cap/bulb is by the rear brake caliper.

Thankyou sir..

Yes, mine looks to have the breather on it. Is it recommended to up this to 220ml as its 180 i have filled with.
They reduced the quantity because the seals were leaking due to high pressure when the FD got hot. The breather stops the pressure building up hence why the higher quantity of oil,

Is that the right way round? Mine has the breather (post April 2010) BMW service manual gives 180 specifically for that model.
Does the fill plug allow for 225?
Mine has the breather and when I drained it there was 225 came out and it definitely wasn’t leaking.

I’m going to add in some extra.

Is that the right way round? Mine has the breather (post April 2010) BMW service manual gives 180 specifically for that model.
Does the fill plug allow for 225?
Pull the rubber breather bulb off, fill through the breather hole ( I use a large syringe with a rubber tube) replace breather bulb. :D

Cheers….I got that….but…why are we “overfilling” ? I was always taught not to do that.
They only reduced the quantity of oil down from what the original amount specified due to not having a breather and the seals were blowing or leaking. So instead of blowing seals and leaks you got premature bearing failure. Cue a rethink from BMW, let’s fit a breather and we can increase the oil capacity = no leaking seals, no premature bearing failure :D

I think it’s the ride by wire throttle I don’t like.

I somehow feel disconnected from the engine, it’s dull and anodyne in use compared to the cable and return spring feel of the Hexhead, which to me feels more natural.
not tried with GS911

but on motoscan - two weird throttle calibration things - when both complete in what feels like a strange waste of time, with a seemingly doing nothing procedure (hold of full throttle for 4 mins till a bar chart says happy then wind slowly back to closed), the throttle comes back like a normal bike - without that it was a vile dangerous mess of incompetence - and magically after three incompetent visits to two dealers where their software updates made the k1600 ride like a moped - full power came back to life when I did it !!!

Back
Top Bottom