Did I miss the memo? FD oil

They only reduced the quantity of oil down from what the original amount specified due to not having a breather and the seals were blowing or leaking. So instead of blowing seals and leaks you got premature bearing failure. Cue a rethink from BMW, let’s fit a breather and we can increase the oil capacity = no leaking seals, no premature bearing failure :D

Neil, I kind of get that, but the fill plug is the limiting factor if you go by the book. As is the capacity at 180cc so how did we get to 225cc? What am I missing?

It was 220ml .. so how did they manage to put that amount in ?

...........Don't tempt me.

I saw that lovely 30th Anniversary twin cam GSA for sale on here a few days ago and had to sit on my hands rather than commit. I'm no fan of vario luggage but that could be easily changed. If I had a buyer in line for my 1250GSA I probably would have jumped at it.

I don't get why I feel no love for my 1250. Its a fine bike and on paper it should be so much better than my old Hexhead, but it isn't.
That’s why I went back from my 1200 LC GSA to a TC….no regrets at all….much more character.

Neil, I kind of get that, but the fill plug is the limiting factor if you go by the book. As is the capacity at 180cc so how did we get to 225cc? What am I missing?
I've always filled mine using a syringe and tube into the abs sensor hole. 😁

That’s why I went back from my 1200 LC GSA to a TC….no regrets at all….much more character.

Me too..l got a 30th Anniversary GS, Love it, a chap,on the docks at Ouistreham had a 1250 but asked if I’d like to sell my TC, He didn’t really like his LC.

Me too..l got a 30th Anniversary GS, Love it, a chap,on the docks at Ouistreham had a 1250 but asked if I’d like to sell my TC, He didn’t really like his LC.
Yup, got shot of my 2016 Lc.
Way too fussy and unreliabe. When it worked 50% of the time it was great and for the other 50% it was a very expensive doorstop

Picked up a low mileage
2011 triple Black Gs. Smiles per miles 😎

Do you not mean the filler plug hole? Or maybe your FD doesn't have one?

Sent from my SM-S908B using Tapatalk
I drop the final drive down to drain it. No drain plug on mine. You have to remove the sensor to drop it down so I just fill it up from there once bolted back in position. . I've got a 60ml syringe so 3 shots does it. I can regrease the splines too whilst it's down too.

I drop the final drive down to drain it. No drain plug on mine. You have to remove the sensor to drop it down so I just fill it up from there once bolted back in position. . I've got a 60ml syringe so 3 shots does it. I can regrease the splines too whilst it's down too.
Yep, that’s what I do on the FD’s that don’t have lower drain plugs or breathers :thumb. Why would you do otherwise :D

So we can pop the breather cap off and refill from there, that will save some faffing around removing the rear wheel every time to get at the refill plug.

Ah. So you have the model that was sealed for life. I think you might have blown the warranty by changing the oil

Sent from my SM-S908B using Tapatalk

So we can pop the breather cap off and refill from there, that will save some faffing around removing the rear wheel every time to get at the refill plug.
Yes :thumb I use a large syringe with appropriate sized rubber pipe attached

Back
Top Bottom