Ex-Call Centre Chimp’s holiday 2024

Ex-Call Centre Chimp

I don't belong here, I don't belong anywhere.
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I'm watching

THIS THREAD

with interest as I'm thinking of going away on the bike next year.

The firm plan is to head to Europe or Ireland and head in a direction when I get off the boat*. I'm going to allow myself some days to get somewhere and am wondering whether to base myself there for 2, 3 or 4 nights or move on somewhere else in a direction. I like the idea of basing myself somewhere while not staying in the same place at any point.

I'd be very grateful for any tips on things to see and places to stay based on my plans please.**

As ever thanks in advance Comrades.

* Not P & O though thanks.

**Not Austria though, thanks.

=================

I have started you a fresh thread, so as not to distract from Doc’s holiday, which might well run to pages.

Richard

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm watching

THIS THREAD

with interest as I'm thinking of going away on the bike next year.

The firm plan is to head to Europe or Ireland and head in a direction when I get off the boat*. I'm going to allow myself some days to get somewhere and am wondering whether to base myself there for 2, 3 or 4 nights or move on somewhere else in a direction. I like the idea of basing myself somewhere while not staying in the same place at any point.

I'd be very grateful for any tips on things to see and places to stay based on my plans please.**

As ever thanks in advance Comrades.

* Not P & O though thanks.

**Not Austria though, thanks.

=================

I have started you a fresh thread, so as not to distract from Doc’s holiday, which WILL run to pages and pages

Richard

Good idea. 👍

I'm thinking of going away on the bike next year

That’s a great place to start from.

The firm plan is to head to Europe or Ireland

Firmly with an… or….

and head in a direction when I get off the boat

Another great start

I like the idea of basing myself somewhere while not staying in the same place at any point.

It might help to expand on this one a bit…..

PS Good piss-take, comrade 👍

Hmmm, After seeing your tactical awesome steed, I’d think along the lines of across at Folkstone. Down to the Alsace for a few days. Then across to the Black Forest for a few more. Take 2 days to travel each way.
just to start things off I’ll throw in ….for the Alsace, stay in Obernai,

and for the Black Forest perhaps bad peterstal.

Hmmm, After seeing your tactical awesome steed, I’d think along the lines of across at Folkstone. Down to the Alsace for a few days. Then across to the Black Forest for a few more. Take 2 days to travel each way.
just to start things off I’ll throw in ….for the Alsace, stay in Obernai,

and for the Black Forest perhaps bad peterstal.

Food for thought, thanks.

Having just looked, it seems La Dilligence has now been taken over and is expensive so look at others……OR Le Howald is a nice village with a couple of nice places to stay.

I think it is more the case that what you are seeing is now the going rate for hotels that have a bit of character, in a popular location in France.
I'm seeing £114 a night for mid May, which you can pay for a city centre Ibis. There are some cheaper places around £70 but they are small places in back streets with no parking options.

I think it is more the case that what you are seeing is now the going rate for hotels that have a bit of character, in a popular location in France.
I'm seeing £114 a night for mid May, which you can pay for a city centre Ibis. There are some cheaper places around £70 but they are small places in back streets with no parking options.
Which booking app are you using ?
on my trip in October I didn’t pay more than about 80 euros a night.

Which booking app are you using ?
on my trip in October I didn’t pay more than about 80 euros a night.

I would suggest October is less "in season" than Mid May and not after 2024 price rises

I do my initial screening using Google Maps as it aggregates many booking sites. The £114 is being offered direct to the hotel and at booking.com - that's a double room no brekkie. If I click through to the hotel, I am offered a range of prices. A double room for single occupancy with breakfast and with free late cancellation is 149 euro

I would suggest October is less "in season" than Mid May and not after 2024 price rises

I do my initial screening using Google Maps as it aggregates many booking sites. The £114 is being offered direct to the hotel and at booking.com - that's a double room no brekkie. If I click through to the hotel, I am offered a range of prices. A double room for single occupancy with breakfast and with free late cancellation is 149 euro
I use logis de France in France, and booking.com elsewhere. Looking at next years trips I’m not looking at paying anything like that. I only book single rooms though.
soon be booking a hotel I like in Thonon le bains in June at 104 euros a night inc breakfast. The rest of the 10 days are all around the 90 euro mark.
Incidentally, I agree with you about October, but with temps in the high 20’s every day when I went, it could be the new cheap dates to go away

I use logis de France in France, and booking.com elsewhere. Looking at next years trips I’m not looking at paying anything like that. I only book single rooms though.
soon be booking a hotel I like in Thonon le bains in June at 104 euros a night inc breakfast. The rest of the 10 days are all around the 90 euro mark.
Incidentally, I agree with you about October, but with temps in the high 20’s every day when I went, it could be the new cheap dates to go away

I use Logis as well. Many of these are well over 120 euros a night now. I try to avoid booking.com (and their sister brands) due to the recent exposé about their business practices, not paying hotel & apartment owners and the obscene commissions they charge.

I was in Spain in early October. It was great, although very much end of season with many bars & restaurants not opening on weekday evenings. You had to remember to take a jumper when going out for dinner as it was quite chilly by the time you emerged from dining at 10pm once north of Burgos.

Back
Top Bottom