eye opening - tyres on GSA - just WOW !

A41's "dangerous"? Utter cobblers, to put it in the Yorkshire vernacular.

I had some on my GSA and could ride that bike carving up B roads at ridiculous lean angles. Never once had a moment on them. Good in the wet and dry, received rave reviews when launched and fitted as OE for a while. To come onto a forum and describe them as "dangerous" as a fact without a shred of actual evidence when what I suspect you mean is that on your bike, riding with the pressures you inflated them to on a bike that you've not racked up a whole heap of experience on, respectfully, might suggest that the problem, lies elsewhere. Have you checked suspension linkages? are the front and rear wheels actually in alignment? I simply refuse to believe when so many of us have used them with 100% confidence, wet or dry and whilst maintaining "rapid progress", that there's even a hint of evidence suggesting the problem lays with the tyre.

yes………………..twat 😉
i may be going here , Whittington Cricket Club, Whittington, nr Oswestry, Shropshire, SY11 4PQ, on sat 09/09/23 . you could come and have a go.... maybe arriving friday night or sat midday , leaving sunday am.

come on, get yer finger out , you know you want to .

or i'll just come on the RT.

Last edited:
My best mate is on his 3rd set of A41s on his R12GS and he’s happy as Larry with them. He can run rings around me on the road when he wants to ……..even on really dangerous , lethal , shit tyres. Ergo my riding must be even more shit than A41s.

We are spending 6 days riding around Scotland this weekend so we’ll see if the excellent Meridian’s make up for my really shit riding .
Don't think you will be disappointed with the Dunlops.
I just put a second one on the rear of my CT........fantastic tyre.

Sent by an Android

i may be going here , Whittington Cricket Club, Whittington, nr Oswestry, Shropshire, SY11 4PQ, on sat 09/09/23 . you could come and have a go.... maybe arriving friday night or sat midday , leaving sunday am.

come on, get yer finger out , you know you want to .

or i'll just come on the RT.
Sorry , I’ve been away so only just seen this sent you a PM 😎

Oh look !!!!

BMW fixed the fork flex from an inadequate top yoke by fitting a real one on the new bike
and adding the flex needed from the telelever to the steering stem - but what would I know !

The actual upper fork bridge is pivotally and rotatably connected via a radial swivel bearing to a sturdy steering shaft tube, which in turn is guided in the main frame via a cylindrical roller bearing at the top and a deep groove ball bearing at the bottom. BMW claim that this sophisticated construction creates significantly greater rigidity and noticeably increased ride stability.The simultaneous addition of an extra roller bearing for the ball joint in the lower fork bridge is also claimed to ensure excellent steering precision due to the lower bearing friction. The diameter of the new lighter quick-release axle has been increased by 5 mm to 25 mm, thereby further increasing the stiffness of the front wheel guide.

2024-BMW-R1300GS-Dash-1.jpg

2024-BMW-R1300GS-Beak-2.jpg

Last edited:
Do you realise that setup has existed before (HP2, 1200RS)? Just the bars are solid with the top yoke on those two models and they change angle as the suspension work. Being road bikes with limited suspension travel it's barely noticeable though.

Last edited:
Wow! I followed this thread hoping to get some advice on my next tyre choice! I have A41’s at present, which were there when i bought the bike, and they seem fine.quite fancy some Conti AT3’s after comments on here by wiser, more experienced Gs’ers.
i have had lots of fast bikes over the last 20 years, and on every bike its easy to get yourself tied up in knots about suspensions, grip, settings etc, but its rare for the front end to wash out unless you do something wrong. ( in my opinion). Although there was that one time at Druids, and i really loved that 954RR 😭

In Scuba Diving, we call this tendency ‘perceptual narrowing’, where you cant focus on anything else and become so aware of one issue, that it quickly becomes a problem. Perhaps its this?

K60 Scout

All the tyre you’ll ever need

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

K60 Scout

All the tyre you’ll ever need
Funny you say that, a group of us went to the Swiss Alps a few summers ago. 3 hexhead GSAs, a new LC GSA and an 18 yr old 1150 GS. The 1150 was shod with K60s. On one of the wet days, the 1150 led and the rest of only just managed to stay with him. We chatted about it during the day. A real mix of tyres on the other bikes. A great tyre.

Love them. Great wear, more grip than I have talent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think my friend, the problem is you ;)

I had an 06 Hexhead, came with Metzeler Karoo 3's fitted, noisy and very stiff, no flex from the carcass at all

Having run Metzelers previously in road guise tyres, I know that they favour stiffness and are very hard wearing

So they were removed, and Avon Trail riders fitted, Night and day is the expression, gone was the noise lol, but you could feel the road, and the softer carcass and tread pattern, gave far more confidence

than the Karoo, bear in mind this was a brand new brand of tyre on a new bike as well

The Trail riders eventually wore out, and due to the success of the Trail rider, stocks were like rocking horse shit, Only tyres available - Metzeler Tourance

Hello stiff carcass and hard rubber!, Once again the Metzelers were true to form, and any confidence gained via the Avon's took a step back as I had to relearn the Metzelers , they are buggers when new

They take ages to bed in, 200 miles for the Avon's, double if not treble it for the Metzelers, they were skittish in the dry and not very grippy in the wet, a few squeaky bum moments !!

And then they came alive, super grippy in the dry, and equally as grippy in the wet. As good as the Avon's

Then came the LC, Bike came fitted with Tourance Next's, absolutely bloody awful, so much so they only got two trips , once home, and once to have them changed to Trail riders.. and normal service was resumed

The Trail riders in the LC sizes offer the same levels of grip and performance wet or dry .. many a time I've thrown the bike into a roundabout only to think, its a 1200 not a 125 lol

Then I had a extended loan 1250 Rallye, no crash bars (eek) and fitted with Bridgestone road biased tyre's. Hmm should be fun

It was , I went right up to western Scotland, mid winter, through some horrendous rain , snow, ice, & fully loaded, with panniers and a big bag on the back, with temps little above freezing

The tyres never gave me any cause for concern, big grippy hoops of rubber, as good as the Trail rider and Tourance. in the dry and wet.

Tyres are subjective, that's true, but 90% of the problem is confidence, and if you don't trust the tyre you never will

Change them , and put a brand on you have used before, then suddenly your new tyre will be the muts nuts :)
+1 for the Avons. I had them on a Yamaha xtz1200 S10, and a R100gs. An excellent versatile tyre for just about all road conditions, very good wet grip and decent for easy green lanes. Shame the factory is/has closed, I was considering them for my V85tt when the Anakees wear out.
Afraid I can't comment on 120mph changes of direction as I only ride on public roads.

Last edited:
I have only ever put original tourances on my GSA except for TKC 80's and a set of kenda big blocks for trips away doing serious off road (Iceland)
8-10,000 miles from a set. Superb grip wet or dry.
I have never felt that I have needed anything else that would grip better.
I did fit a pair of K60 scouts on my old XL500r and they are great on that.

This thread really is comedy gold. No such thing as a crap tyre these days but many obsess about it. When it's dry, how many of us can outperform our tyres? And when it's wet you adapt your riding accordingly. Anyone who thinks their tyres are the problem needs to look at themselves first. Yeah Botus ya clown I'm looking at you 😁 you and boxerlust should be locked in a room together

So true seahorse, I had some doubts in my mind regarding the A41s fitted to my 1250GSA when it was delivered. My previous TC had Road 5s, so maybe I was fecked either way :). I just ride the bike rain or shine, no issues what so ever - or if there are issues with the A41s, Bridgstone development department and the testers need the sack, or Bridgstone could go back to making motorcycles :D.

One thing this thread has done has given me more ideas for replacement tyres!

My 1250 is going in for 12k service next month and will require a new front A41 and the tyre i have asked to replace it with is......................

.........another A41!

🤡

This thread really is comedy gold. No such thing as a crap tyre these days but many obsess about it. When it's dry, how many of us can outperform our tyres? And when it's wet you adapt your riding accordingly. Anyone who thinks their tyres are the problem needs to look at themselves first. Yeah Botus ya clown I'm looking at you 😁 you and boxerlust should be locked in a room together
I agree more or less, but the Indian Ceat tyres on my RE 650 Interceptor don't inspire much confidence, particularly on a wet road.

Back
Top Bottom