Final drive oil leak with ABS pump failure

Cornwallis

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Six miles into the first ride after a full service on my 06 1200GS (52k miles), I called round to a friends for a brew. An hour later I returned to the bike to discover the rear tyre/wheel/disc/pads covered in final drive oil that had come from the speed sensor that's used to fill it. Having returned the bike to the company that did the service, I was told that the speed sensor o ring had been damaged during the service and they would make good and clean-up the contamination. I was then told that when they did a test ride they discovered a fault with the ABS pump that, after a number of attempts to resolve, needs to be replaced at the usual astronomical cost.

They say that the two issues are unrelated, but can I ask the fonts of wisdom if the oil leak and ABS pump failure might be related or is it just bad luck? I had no issues with the brake warning light before the service.

Thanks

Six miles into the first ride after a full service on my 06 1200GS (52k miles), I called round to a friends for a brew. An hour later I returned to the bike to discover the rear tyre/wheel/disc/pads covered in final drive oil that had come from the speed sensor that's used to fill it. Having returned the bike to the company that did the service, I was told that the speed sensor o ring had been damaged during the service and they would make good and clean-up the contamination. I was then told that when they did a test ride they discovered a fault with the ABS pump that, after a number of attempts to resolve, needs to be replaced at the usual astronomical cost.

They say that the two issues are unrelated, but can I ask the fonts of wisdom if the oil leak and ABS pump failure might be related or is it just bad luck? I had no issues with the brake warning light before the service.

Thanks

My guess is that the ABS light is on and they don't know why..

Your ABS won't work without the speed sensor working correctly. The speed sensor won't work without the correct clearance of the sensor and the ring (which is inside the bevel drive).

You don't even fill the bevel drive though the speed sensor hole. But you can... If you don't know better. You must have visited a workshop with ZERO knowledge of BMWs. This is why I wouldn't trust them when they say your pump is faulty.

You can't damage the pump with messing with the speed sensor. So I'm guessing that they haven't cleaned or replaced the speed sensor correctly or they have damaged the speed sensor by fitting it incorrectly and it maybe its been jamming up somehow. I've seen it happen a few times (Im a time served BMW tech).

Get this bike away from them ASAP and take it a BMW workshop. Independent or franchise.

FYI, a new speed sensor is about £100. Send them the bill.

You can test that the speed sensor is working with BMW diagnostic equipment. Motoscan etc. I'm assuming the hack shop you visited doesn't have this ?

(I was told that the speed sensor o ring had been damaged during the service) :eek::eek: and they let you ride it away !!!!!

I would be having words with who ever is in charge of that company.

(I was told that the speed sensor o ring had been damaged during the service) :eek::eek: and they let you ride it away !!!!!

I would be having words with who ever is in charge of that company.

I would assume they discovered this when he took it back.

Many thanks for your very helpful reply. It's much appreciated.

They do have BMW diagnostic equipment and I'd like to assume (trying to be optimistic here) that they checked the speed sensor. But I will ask them if they're sure they have the correct clearance.

Back
Top Bottom