Fitting a tube

daylyons

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Afternoon.
I've given up trying to clean the front rim on my 1991 GS enough to stop the rather fast loss of air, so it looks like a tube will have to be inserted. Any advice (size etc.) would be appreciated. And will any bikeshop take this on I wonder. I am in north Kingston/Surrey.

This is just one job in what may well be a lengthy process en route to getting the bike back out there.

grateful

day lyons

You are ...

... very close to the GSshop run by our very own Steptoe; paying him a visit will doubtless enhance your chances of road going sooner rather than later :thumb2

Good tubes are not hard to find - most dirt bikes have 21" wheels and they mostly have the same size tire as the GS.

I use extra heavy duty Metzler off road tubes, the best can buy, and I have never had a puncture with them.

The conventional wisdom is that a tire with a tube will run hotter than one without, but I find the opposite.

My theory is that the heavy tube conducts more heat round to the rim and the heat is lost from there.

My dealer also fits a neat little collar with an O ring to the the valve stem - the theory is that if you do get a puncture it wont deflate as fast - but I have never had to check it out.

Kingston motorcycle centre - They are a motorcycle tyre business. Unit 5, Hampden Rd, kingston, KT1 3LG.

Tel ;020 8549 5335

Ask for Dave. He has some magic rubber sealer he'll paint onto the inner rims and stop the air leaks. :thumb

Kingston motorcycle centre - They are a motorcycle tyre business. Unit 5, Hampden Rd, kingston, KT1 3LG.

Tel ;020 8549 5335

Ask for Dave. He has some magic rubber sealer he'll paint onto the inner rims and stop the air leaks. :thumb

Yeh! Fec the pain in the ass tube, glue the bugger on :JB

There's allways a way round a niggling little problem.:thumb2 It starts with a really clean rim and ends with a really good sealent.

BTW this is one I leant form Steptoe. Clean up the valve hole too :blast

Val.

Leaky rim

Thanks Paul, Mr T from Aus, Val and Mr Steptoe. I will try the local shop first, as recommended by Steptoe (got a feeling I will be paying this gent a call at some point, seems you have to be heading west on the A3 to do this).

What a great owners website this is, to be sure.

Apologies for all the things I have said about Australians in the past.

dave

Back
Top Bottom