For ALL Swiss and other countries’ motorway vignette / sticker things

EVskij

Hand-crafting clients' ideas in real time
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I HAVE CUT THIS POST AND THREAD FROM A TRIP REPORT

Richard

===========

I have been to Switzerland now three times. The first time was back in 2016, the group of us purchased vignettes at the border upon entry.

Now, I’ve learned this upon return home in 2016, and seeing as most bikers go to, or transit through Switzerland, to ride popular roads over the mountain passes, it certainly does seem pointless to spend £40 on a sticker that you will not be utilising.
From my understanding you only need a vignette, if you are going to be driving on Swiss motorways or Expressways. Bearing in mind that some motorways essentially become dual carriageways or are they Expressways? (open to non vignette holders?) around big cities, then return to being classified as motorway beyond city limits.

Here is what I have found on the gov.uk, as-well as official Swiss websites.

IMG_9529.jpeg

IMG_9530.jpeg

Having since traveled twice in Switzerland without a vignette, I simply kept of the motorways and have not had any problems with the law.

I have further discovered more on this subject here. Scroll down to “Driving in Switzerland without the vignette

Happy to corrected by anybody with a clearer knowledge on this subject.

Last edited by a moderator:
Having since traveled twice in Switzerland without a vignette, I simply kept of the motorways and have not had any problems with the law.

Happy to corrected by anybody with a clearer knowledge on this subject.

You are right that you do not need a Vignette in CH if you do not use toll roads.

Toll roads in CH are not necessarily dual carriageways. You need to look for the green road signs. See this junction in Interlaken https://goo.gl/maps/QWeJiuQXgbJiuVHj8

This shows an arrow ahead in green meaning you will join a toll road. If you have no vignette, you need to turn right and go onto non-toll roads shown in blue. Typical of the Swiss that they reverse the colour convention used in Germany, UK, France & Spain.

Go forward a bit on the Streetview and you see this green square sign with a car. This is the entry point to the toll section. See https://goo.gl/maps/vJE8BmZsueqM7czi6 - note it remains single carriageway

You are right that you do not need a Vignette in CH if you do not use toll roads.

Toll roads in CH are not necessarily dual carriageways. You need to look for the green road signs. See this junction in Interlaken https://goo.gl/maps/QWeJiuQXgbJiuVHj8

This shows an arrow ahead in green meaning you will join a toll road. If you have no vignette, you need to turn right and go onto non-toll roads shown in blue. Typical of the Swiss that they reverse the colour convention used in Germany, UK, France & Spain.

Go forward a bit on the Streetview and you see this green square sign with a car. This is the entry point to the toll section. See https://goo.gl/maps/vJE8BmZsueqM7czi6 - note it remains single carriageway
Thank you for this explanation Wessie. I have since edited my previous reply to OP, having found similar explanation to yours on another website.

I think allot of folk, waste their money on a sticker they potentially do not need. They just act on a hear/say from somebody who hadn’t done their research, a bit like I did on my first trip to Switzerland in 2016.

Thank you for this explanation Wessie. I have since edited my previous reply to OP, having found similar explanation to yours on another website.

I think allot of folk, waste their money on a sticker they potentially do not need. They just act on a hear/say from somebody who hadn’t done their research, a bit like I did on my first trip to Switzerland in 2016.

Yes, last time I rode in CH I went from Lake Como to Landeck via St Moritz and then followed the River Inn. No tolls and one of the best routes in the Alps.

I note that on Google maps, the toll roads in CH have a number with a red background.

Yes, last time I rode in CH I went from Lake Como to Landeck via St Moritz and then followed the River Inn. No tolls and one of the best routes in the Alps.

I note that on Google maps, the toll roads in CH have a number with a red background.
Perhaps @Wapping can make a sticky thread on this matter. As I do strongly believe that too many people do waste allot of beer tokens on an unnecessary sticker.

Correct, the Vignette is to pay the motorway only, as like most European (geographical) countries they are toll roads.

Yes you can avoid the motorways and not pay the vignette, but (my two cents):

It costs 40 Swiss Francs. That is about 35 quid in total. Not a massive amount of money considering the cost of traveling on the road through Europe.
If you are crossing between several section of Switzerland, or going across it (I did a million times) while getting in and out doing some mountain passes... avoiding motorways is shooting yourselves in the foot, as progress on normal roads at the bottom of the valleys in Switzerland will be fairly slow, and higher chances in sudden speed cameras, while those are more predictable on the motorways.

Hope the point of view helps.

(waps, you can blast this post into orbit if you want :) )

Yeah, and having a vignette on your bike does offer bragging rights….

Easier (and makes less glue damage to the screens) to fix it on the bike, but under the seat.
I have a few on the filter box of my GS.

Last edited:
There used to be quite an active secondhand market for the Swiss vignettes, here on UKGSer. For some unknown reason it has all but died out. I can only assume that bods write the country off, as they have read that it’s all a rip-off?

Yeah, and having a vignette on your bike does offer bragging rights….
Ahh you must be part of the Globetrotting "look at me and where I have been" Brigade :). Anybody can buy a bunch of stickers on Amazon or Ebay.

I hate stickers at best of times. Following the vote by a majority of British public in favour of B*****, I have had to over come my OCD, and slap a dainty silver on black UK identifier oval. It looks shite, no matter the colour, but simply couldn't bring myself up, to having a full on (as per laws and regulations) 4" black on white one.

"Keep it simple, Keep it OEM, Keep it Real" is my moto.

There used to be quite an active secondhand market for the Swiss vignettes, here on UKGSer. For some unknown reason it has all but died out. I can only assume that bods write the country off, as they have read that it’s all a rip-off?
Not least that it is illegal and is equivalent to driving/riding without one. Penalty is 200CHF + Cost of Vignette 40CHF.

Image 05-09-2023 at 14.14.jpg

Like speeding, it’s only illegal if you get caught :D

PS I have always bought one, as they don’t break the bank. It’s not much more than a coffee in some places.

Just be careful.

Under the seat I meant in a fixed part of the bike, not under the seat itself.
Swiss border control would sometimes suggest to place them there on on the bike's fork.

I had the screen damaged by the sticker's glue years ago, been sticking them on the airbox since then.

vignette.png

(no I'm not worried to ruin the paint on my tatty GS... it happened on another bike, but it's an habit now :D )

Indeed... Currently sat in worried anticipation from my Sunday jaunt.
Having entered a village just a tad too hot (potentially) about 37mph into 30. rolling downhill downshifting and applying gentle braking input. Next thing I know, is a bloke standing (a bit out of place, I thought to myself) whist dressed in civies, he's looking in my direction, next thing I see, is plod some 50m down the road, wandering about a junction leading to a residential road. Beyond the junction is a his sidekick lady with the speed gun. not been waved in to pullover, but this does't meany a thing. The could've had a ANPR on the tripod too... So next few weeks might be a bit sketchy.

I have never been on this road before, and village is after a slight bend, with the sign being downhill, so it just jumps out at you at the last minute.
Correction: Just been on Street View, the 30 limit sign is is just before the bit where the bloke was stood. I must've missed it being focused on him, being a bit out of place. By then I was slowing down anyway...

Can collective please cross your fingers and toes for us...

TA muchly.

Last edited:

PS I have always bought one, as they don’t break the bank. It’s not much more than a coffee in some places.
..and if you get caught the fine is swingeing....worth the money IMHO (then I am half Swiss )

...on a more political point, I don't mind paying a bit for roads that are properly maintained, which generally seems to be the case with Swiss and French motorways... Unlike the UK where only around 12.5% of our road tax is spent on the roads (found out after writing to my MP and asking the question)... Just saying

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

..and if you get caught the fine is swingeing....worth the money IMHO (then I am half Swiss )

...on a more political point, I don't mind paying a bit for roads that are properly maintained, which generally seems to be the case with Swiss and French motorways... Unlike the UK where only around 12.5% of our road tax is spent on the roads (found out after writing to my MP and asking the question)... Just saying

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
That is indeed a nice thing with French, Swiss and Germans road keeping.
The grass verges are always well kept and trimmed, so you actually can see where the road is going to be wearing off to, unlike here in Britain, where you haven't a clue where the road might be leading you to, because farmers hedge is more overgrown than pensioners m***e. Mind you, Belgians aren't much better.

Indeed... Currently sat in worried anticipation from my Sunday jaunt.
Having entered a village just a tad too hot (potentially) about 37mph into 30. rolling downhill downshifting and applying gentle braking input. Next thing I know, is a bloke standing (a bit out of place, I thought to myself) whist dressed in civies, he's looking in my direction, next thing I see, is plod some 50m down the road, wandering about a junction leading to a residential road. Beyond the junction is a his sidekick lady with the speed gun. not been waved in to pullover, but this does't meany a thing. The could've had a ANPR on the tripod too... So next few weeks might be a bit sketchy.

I have never been on this road before, and village is after a slight bend, with the sign being downhill, so it just jumps out at you at the last minute.
Correction: Just been on Street View, the 30 limit sign is is just before the bit where the bloke was stood. I must've missed it being focused on him, being a bit out of place. By then I was slowing down anyway...

Can collective please cross your fingers and toes for us...

TA muchly.
BAN HIM! Bloody foreigners coming over here speeding everywhere! How dare they! :D
We wouldn’t dream of doing that in foreign lands! :augie

Back
Top Bottom