Gs 1200,rear disc,costly replacement ?..

crumbles

C*ntry Bumpkin.
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Just had the bike MoTed at Ocean Bmw Plymouth,
One of two advisories was...Rear disc below service level..

So asked how much to replace ?

Allin price £340.....!!!!!!!!

How much just the disc please ?

.......£190..:eek:

Can someone recommend a good non Bmw replacement please :D

Cheer's Mike..

Yeah I know. I nearly fell over when I popped into Ocean to get a rear disc. I left with 5 new bolts and went straight to Sherlocks and got one for £72. Steptoe for some new pads and it took about 30 mins to change.

I have just taken the same route pretty much as RB above. Took me a bit longer than 30 mins but even if it took a mechanic sorry technician an hour with his raised working platform and all the perfect tools for the job how come Ocean wanted £150 to fit? Maybe it's a case of because they can!

I'd love to switch off that linked braking. My rear disc is less than a year old with only a few thousand miles but I can already feel the wear ridge.

I have just taken the same route pretty much as RB above. Took me a bit longer than 30 mins but even if it took a mechanic sorry technician an hour with his raised working platform and all the perfect tools for the job how come Ocean wanted £150 to fit? Maybe it's a case of because they can!

Im not sure all main dealers would charge that much. It may also have included Brembo rear pads as well. My shock was from the fact about 2 years earlier I bought two BMW front discs for about £75 each from them. so I was somewhat taken aback with the price of a single rear disc. They then said that was a dealer contribution/discount and not the actual price.
Mind you I got 5 new disc bolts for about £5.

Brembo from motorworks will do

Just had the bike MoTed at Ocean Bmw Plymouth,
One of two advisories was...Rear disc below service level..

So asked how much to replace ?

Allin price £340.....!!!!!!!!

How much just the disc please ?

.......£190..:eek:

Can someone recommend a good non Bmw replacement please :D

Cheer's Mike..

I'd love to switch off that linked braking. My rear disc is less than a year old with only a few thousand miles but I can already feel the wear ridge.

Wouldn't that just transfer the braking effort to the front - causing them to wear quicker?

As someone has come from a number of Honda's with linked braking I know what I prefer.

I got my replacement from Sherlock's (30k ago) and more than happy with the saving.

Many thank's for all the reply's..

The price was for the disc only..Rusty..

Brembo from Motorwork's it will be..

Thank's all again..:beerjug:

Wouldn't that just transfer the braking effort to the front - causing them to wear quicker?

As someone has come from a number of Honda's with linked braking I know what I prefer.

I got my replacement from Sherlock's (30k ago) and more than happy with the saving.

Its hard to tell, but every other bike I've owned could lock the back wheel yet still have minimal useful stopping ability. Looking at the brake wear rate BMW seem to apply a lot of pressure to the back brake. The question is does it really help stopping ability.

I suspect not much. Iv'e recently noticed my brakes are less effective and found that one of the fronts has some sticking pistons. When the back had the same problem I only noticed when the pads needed to be replaced.

I have almost reached the wear limit on my rear brake disc. What concerns me most is that the pads and disc are the original fit and it appears that the disc is wearing faster than the pads! Also as the rear disc is smaller diameter than the front, the speed of the disc through the pads is less than the front which are hardly worn at all.
I think there may be a material problem.

More likely an abs issue , my 2011 gsa NON ABS model has now done 15,000 miles the discs are unworn and the original pads are less than a third worn. lot to be said for basic technology

How worn is the disk? BMW will replace the disk as soon as it has 0.5mm wear.

MOT tester will normally allow wear until there is a noticable ridge (about 1.5mm).

I am quite happy to run a disk to the 1.5mm limit, and have on the last 3 disks...it's your money and your choice.

...and as for "my disks and pads last forever". I only get 6000 miles from a set of pads and about 24000 miles from a disk because all my riding is in traffic and I am either braking or accelerating.

Alex

My replaced rear disc was not new when I bought the bike with 33K on the clock. I replaced it clearly well worn at 50K. It was not cracking anywhere so passed every mot.
If we suppose the original was replaced at 25K it did ok.

My replaced rear disc was not new when I bought the bike with 33K on the clock. I replaced it clearly well worn at 50K. It was not cracking anywhere so passed every mot.
If we suppose the original was replaced at 25K it did ok.

I may be wrong but believe MOT testers are only are to check performance, not whether it is below the specified limit/cracks etc.

I may be wrong but believe MOT testers are only are to check performance, not whether it is below the specified limit/cracks etc.

Come to think about it I've never seen a tester with a set of vernier calipers

MoT checks brake performance and integrity so cracks from ventilation holes or binding caliper will fail the test.

Back
Top Bottom