Guzzi 457 spotted

steve hughes

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Looks to be based on the new Aprilla engine which is being manufactured in India. 270 degree parallel twin, water cooled. Quite a departure for the Guzzista’s

Looks daft to me. He only mentioned shaft drive right at the end, but it’s very bit as important as engine layout.

Who wants to be fucking about with a chain? I know they’re light and efficient, but they’re a complete ballache too.

It’s no more a Guzzi than my Landrover is.

I think a lot of brands are looking at the mahoosive Indian mkt. At present brands like Hero RE Mahindra Bajaj TVS and Honda to a small extent have that mkt. The smaller capacity machines eg sub 125cc are being subsumed by cheap electric bikes. The 350/ 400 class is hotly contested and brands such as Triumph and even Harley D with their 440 are trying to muscle in.

KTM, H-D, Triumph & now MG it seems.

Sad, besmirching the MG name, but then we appear to have witnessed some poor QC with the V100 already, leaving me wondering why they have engine, gearbox & driveshaft casings with differing paint finishes.

My guess is they simply badge engineer & strike an agreement that the manufacturers in India/China will not compete with them directly in the UK/EU/US home markets. Whilst packing the market niches, it serves to provide easy margin for what we consider to be more premium brands.

The price of a Hero 150 in India would make 17 year olds (and their parents) cry.

INR 75 to 78 thousand.

About £750…

I suspect nothing made in Europe will be able to compete with Indian-made pricing.

Looks daft to me. He only mentioned shaft drive right at the end, but it’s very bit as important as engine layout.

Who wants to be fucking about with a chain? I know they’re light and efficient, but they’re a complete ballache too.

It’s no more a Guzzi than my Landrover is.

Moto Guzzi started producing chain driven bikes a long time ago; even before this one... :nenau

426739522_10161045398233398_5097217294751001241_n.jpg

Yeah, I know, but for most of the last forty or fifty years they stuck to shaft drive v twins.
It’s their USP, the differentiator, their specialty.

I guess you could say the same about BMW, who obviously produce non-flat-twin-shaft-drive bikes too, so perhaps it’s a non-issue, but it’s still not a Guzzi!

How about this beauty? Mandello, a couple of years back.

E5392BAD-8613-4BBD-B8E1-8668A4F746AD.jpeg

I do like the spare spark plug.

no fucking way is THAT a Guzzi .
Aprilia make the sporty bikes , Guzzi make the cruisers and tourers. that is how it is .
YES ...Aprilia have made some bikes that will tour , and Guzzi have made some sporty bikes , but the 2 brands are worlds apart.
if Guzzi make that .....i'll go to Portugal and be nice to Jose .

no fucking way is THAT a Guzzi .
Aprilia make the sporty bikes , Guzzi make the cruisers and tourers. that is how it is .
YES ...Aprilia have made some bikes that will tour , and Guzzi have made some sporty bikes , but the 2 brands are worlds apart.
if Guzzi make that .....i'll go to Portugal and be nice to Jose .
It could be Aprillia making a naked and Motobob has been fed/ guessed the wrong conclusion. Piaggio do play with “least cost manufacturing “ eg in scoots. Vespas are made in Italy ,some of the Piaggio range are made in Baramati in India. Possibly some Vespa’s too.

It just seems a strange move for MG / Piaggio to be slugging it out with RE & Triumph at 2.6 lakh ( £2500 ish ) when they are selling £8 to £12k bikes in Europe. Then again everyone was surprised when Triumph offered the new Speed 400 at £4995.

It could be Aprillia making a naked and Motobob has been fed/ guessed the wrong conclusion. Piaggio do play with “least cost manufacturing “ eg in scoots. Vespas are made in Italy ,some of the Piaggio range are made in Baramati in India. Possibly some Vespa’s too.

It just seems a strange move for MG / Piaggio to be slugging it out with RE & Triumph at 2.6 lakh ( £2500 ish ) when they are selling £8 to £12k bikes in Europe. Then again everyone was surprised when Triumph offered the new Speed 400 at £4995.
Have a look at the size of the motorcycle market in India. That’s the answer.

Only if they make them there.
Indeed, but 17,500,000 units sold in 2023. Compare that to the 109,000 in the UK.
It’s easy to see why the manufacturers are chasing that market.

I know, I used to run an automotive engineering office there…

Ah OK, so you know (better than I😁) then.

I was initially responding to the post before my first one…if that makes sense?

Back in the early 1970's during De Tomaso ownership, Guzzi produced a 250 2 stroke. a rebadged Benelli 250. So nothing new rebadging another bike, this time from the Piagio range.

Back
Top Bottom