Interchangability

Bear

Reaction score
It seems to be accepted wisdom that the Zumo 590, Zumo 595, NAV V and NAV VI take the same mount. I've just found out, at some cost that this is not true. The NAV V and NAV VI are the same size according to BMW and the 590 and 595 are, according to Garmin, the same. The problem is that the Zumo is significantly larger in all dimensions.The killer is the height: it won't go into a BMW mount and the only way to fit the Zumo mount into the BMW cradle involves a hacksaw and losing the locking mechanism. The part numbers I can find on the BMW cradle are correct according to RealOem so it's not a dealer or factory error. Is there a pragmatic solution to the problem given that the 595 was bought privately and returnig it is problematic?

Hi bear , am just checking if you got a solution for this conundrum as have run into the same issue. Have a 595 but it does not fit the BMW navigation prepped hardware on.

As far as I can tell no Zumo mounting cradle will fit instead of the NAV cradle so what I did, initially for a Zumo 350, was buy a 12" strip of 2" x 3/8" aluminium and make an adapter by cutting two lengths, sticking them together with double-sided tape and spotting through the Zumo cradle (4mm hol;;es x 4). I then separated the two parts and bolted them together with washers between them to space them slightly apart. I then went up from 4mm to 12mm drills in 2mm increments. It helps to have a pillar drill and machine vice. I've attached a photo. The Zumo 595 has a bigger cradle and the mounting holes go east to west rather than north to south so I cut and spotted through as before then found it wouldn't fit the vice for the final drilling so I ordered one of these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/hz/mobile/...di_ci_mcx_mi_ci-mcx-ksf1_0&crid=296W5GGA41561 which the Royal Mail managed to deliver to a house just around the corner from me. While I was waiting I used a pistol drill and rickety bench-mounted vice to put the 12mm hole through and, much to my surprise, it worked. Your best bet is the Amazon mount, which comes from Slovakia so won't be with you in a couple of days. It looks like 3D-printed plastic and seems decent enough.
You'll have to sort the wiring as well. I soldered a BMW connector (Motorworks is cheapest https://www.motorworks.co.uk/wiring-repair-kit-ela13585-1.html ) and somehow manasged to hide all the needless cqables from the 595

Attachments

• DSCF0002.JPG
    DSCF0002.JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 9
i have one of the slovakian mounts if anyone needs one, ordered it and never used.

Back
Top Bottom