Moulded speakers with wires

Wobble

Hugh Janus
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
A few years back, I had some in ear speakers but aside from the poor sound quality, the rubber cable kept getting pulled and after I one plug was partially displaced from an ear during a ride as the grippy rubber cable caught on my neck buff, I binned them.

I’ve been really happy with my custom fit guards, and am looking at getting a pair with speakers but wondered how others managed the wire figment.

I always ride with a buff pulled up over my ears to keep them nice and flat in the helmet, so this means the wire would have to go either down the buff or out the top.

Cardo jack means I could move the connection to the front of my helmet to make It easy to plug in.

My question purely relates to the wire placement and routing and not to the moulded ear plugs, but if you have had any from custom fit and didn’t like the sound quality I’d be interested to hear why.

I have UE and the sound is appalling. Sounds like that advert for Tunes lozenges. Despite their advert stating they are for music lovers AND me actually going to their premises for the fitting with a long session going through various other things, they stated “they are tuned for voice frequencies “ then sat behind the “custom products are not covered under the blah blah blah” when I complained. Fortunately I paid by credit card so that came back under a S.75.
Now have a set of Mercury with 3 drivers and the sound is good. The fit can be a little uncomfortable sometimes but that’s as much down to different helmets having different amounts of room in them.
TBH, the best combination is still to use custom guards and speakers as the sound is better As is the noise reduction.
From a cable pov, over the ear and down through the buff. Plug it in at the back.

Would it not be easiest to stop pulling the Buff, over your ears?

Bash_street_kids_Plug_disguises_himself_940x.jpg

Most of the conventional monitor earplugs, have a wire that exits from the bottom of the plug. I’d suggest calling someone like, Ultimate Ear, to see if they could move the wire during the moulding process.

PS I have some Ultimate Ear monitors; I think they are very good. Just like gloves, everyone will have their favourites,

Last edited:
Would it not be easiest to stop pulling the Buff, over your ears?

Bash_street_kids_Plug_disguises_himself_940x.jpg

Most of the conventional monitor earplugs, have a wire that exits from the bottom of the plug. I’d suggest calling someone like, Ultimate Ear, to see if they could move the wire during the moulding process.

PS I have some Ultimate Ear monitors; I think they are very good. Just like gloves, everyone will have their favourites,
They all do either conventional bottom exit or over the ear cable options.
My issues with UE were down to them lying about their products and appalling customer service

Im afraid UE won’t get any more of my money, not had good dealings with them.

Have you checked out these guys:
Custom Fit Guards

I have some UE in ear monitors and the sound was/is very tinny. Perhaps it has improved since I bought them?
I am just in the process of getting the ear guards from those above and will be going to collect them soon and make a decision if I should go for the triple drivers or stick with the dual drivers.
I also were a snood and have a cardo so will decide when I am there if I should stick with the normal length cable or have it shortened! Should be all decided/collected by next week.

I have a set of Custom Fit guards, got them 2 years ago and they are Fantastic.
The cables are strengthened, but nice and thin. I went for the the dual driver option because I like listening to music and the sound is crystal.
I use them with my cardo set and tuck the plugs under the lining just under my jaw line.
Another plus is you can actually unplug the ear mouldings and just use them as passive ear plugs, as I also had a passive filter fitted.
They were a great company to deal with.

I have a set of Custom Fit guards, got them 2 years ago and they are Fantastic.
The cables are strengthened, but nice and thin. I went for the the dual driver option because I like listening to music and the sound is crystal.
I use them with my cardo set and tuck the plugs under the lining just under my jaw line.
Another plus is you can actually unplug the ear mouldings and just use them as passive ear plugs, as I also had a passive filter fitted.
They were a great company to deal with.
What length cable did you opt for? I’m thinking a shorter one

What length cable did you opt for? I’m thinking a shorter one
I stayed with the standard length, just to allow the extra if needed.... turns out quite handy for being able to put the helmet down on the table/bike to connect/disconnect. As I mentioned, the wire is thin and limp so coils away nicely and is totally unobtrusive.
Only side note -: is order it in good time as mine took several weeks to be completed following initial moulding, but worth the wait.
Enjoy.

You’ve really got me interested with this thread. Years ago I had some custom moulded earplugs made which were ok but a bit hard and painful for a full days ride, so I reverted to soft foam earplugs which I can put up with for 5 full days riding but no more. The problem with them though is that they block out sound very effectively which makes my sena intercom audio difficult to hear for either speaking to mates or listening to music. I’m interested in giving these ear guards with inbuilt speakers a try as they could be a ’unicorn’ answer. Question though, how are they for wearing on multi-day rides and can you connect them with a cable to sena headsets (e.g. SRL in a shoei neotec or Sean 20S)?

You’ve really got me interested with this thread. Years ago I had some custom moulded earplugs made which were ok but a bit hard and painful for a full days ride, so I reverted to soft foam earplugs which I can put up with for 5 full days riding but no more. The problem with them though is that they block out sound very effectively which makes my sena intercom audio difficult to hear for either speaking to mates or listening to music. I’m interested in giving these ear guards with inbuilt speakers a try as they could be a ’unicorn’ answer. Question though, how are they for wearing on multi-day rides and can you connect them with a cable to sena headsets (e.g. SRL in a shoei neotec or Sean 20S)?
Nonissues on multi day outings however like anything they can still end up painful just from having something in your ears for that length of time.
Sena are consideraBly lower in volume than Cardo though.
250 miles round trip today with a 10U and unlike the Bold on yesterday’s ride, it was maxed out and a struggle with foamies in.
Personally, my cables are short, like just long enough to plug in at the rear. Otherwise you can guarantee it’ll end up where you don’t want or need it.

I also have custom fit with dual drivers. Excellent product, great sound (my cardo edge is almost too loud on the minimum volume setting). Had to wait quite a long time for them...a victim of their own success I suspect. Have also had ACS also good (single drivers) but the Custom ones are better thought out for motorcyclists I think.

Sent from my SM-A536B using Tapatalk

had my lugs filled with goo at the weekend, chose the dual speaker with short wire, I’ll update when arrive

I use Custom fit guards with speakers and find that all day use is very comfortable. I don't ride without a buff either. Put the earplugs in, pull the buff on and have the wire come out the bottom of the buff. suit up and plug in to my Cardo no problem. just remember to leave the wire out when you're zipping up otherwise you'll be taking all your attire off again and searching for a wire that's half way down your back....... It happens!! Mine are the CF autos with dual drivers and pass through filters. sound quality is fantastic and I feel if you go anything more than this its overkill.

had my lugs filled with goo at the weekend, chose the dual speaker with short wire, I’ll update when arrive
I went for these with UE, not cheap at £300.

I hadn't heard of Custom Fit, thanks for the link. If I had, I would probably have bought from them as their cable system looks better.

I've had several sets of single-driver UE custom moulded items over the years, all died through cable breakage despite being very careful with them.

Sound quality is on the UE dual drivers is good (although not massively better than the cheaper single diver items), however the shorter cable with 3.5mm stereo jack means there isn't as much to get snagged up on, plus it comes with a longer extension cable if needed.

I use a modified Shoei Neotec 2 with them so no in-helmet speakers from the integrated Sena SRC comms just the UE monitors. Sound is very clear, noise is quiet and the fit is all-day comfortable...... I hope they last.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom