MPH Speedo R100GSPD - W1186

piebaps

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I need one!!

I have a fullly functioning KPH version but need an MPH equivalent to register the bike.

A loan of one for a few weeks would suffice, or even a swap if anyone is thinking of moving abroad.

Anyone out there?

Changing the whole speedo shouldn't be nesassery. You should be able to just put an overlay on the speedo face and/or an MPH converter in the speedo cable. Surley they aren't going to require any more than that on the IOM?

The converter method is quite easy. You open up the speedo and cover the KMH with a little MPH sticker. Or simply put an MPH overlay over the whole fase (this has been done on our motorhome which was imported in 2007).

I've seen plenty of imports still with KMH speedos, some with overlays some without.

One of the bikes at the Airhead WeeKend (can't remember his name. Nice bike though) had stickers on the outside of the glass. As long as it has MPH on it, it shouldn't be an issue :nenau

Val.

Changing the whole speedo shouldn't be nesassery. You should be able to just put an overlay on the speedo face and/or an MPH converter in the speedo cable. Surley they aren't going to require any more than that on the IOM?

The converter method is quite easy. You open up the speedo and cover the KMH with a little MPH sticker. Or simply put an MPH overlay over the whole fase (this has been done on our motorhome which was imported in 2007).

I've seen plenty of imports still with KMH speedos, some with overlays some without.

One of the bikes at the Airhead WeeKend (can't remember his name. Nice bike though) had stickers on the outside of the glass. As long as it has MPH on it, it shouldn't be an issue :nenau

Val.

Overlay is not acceptable in Isle of Man VAL .....
Me and piebaps had this out at WeeKend

PS, that really nice one was Cobbsters, not bad for a Para'

I know Dave said that IoM moto-testers don't allow a overlay ON the glass
But is/would it be possible to dismantle the speedo and stick an overlay on the original dial - if yer follow me drift
HTHY :thumb2

That nice para is mine

Well I think it's nice!

I hope you get sorted, somebody must have one.

I don't know if you could buy the face and the other bits to fit to KM speedo to convert?

I don't know enough to suggest what other bikes have a suitable speedo, but the amount of knowledge on this site some one will know?

Good luck

hello piebaps

I can’t help you with a MPH speedo but I’m looking for a used KMH. If you want to sell yours let me know

thks

Some frog on French Ebay still has dual MPH /KM GS style speedos for the old price - around Eu 180-BIN

Well he did recently - bought a KM one, and he sent a dual with the main outer numbers MPH and smaller Kph numbers inboard, and the odo and trip in miles.

It has a straight drive, REF W1202 so I have no idea what it was origonally fitted to.

I am having no luck getting it changed or a refund so I will probably remove the bezel and swap the faceplate over on my existing unserviceable item.

Some frog on French Ebay still has dual MPH /KM GS style speedos for the old price - around Eu 180-BIN

Well he did recently - bought a KM one, and he sent a dual with the main outer numbers MPH and smaller Kph numbers inboard, and the odo and trip in miles.

It has a straight drive, REF W1202 so I have no idea what it was origonally fitted to.

I am having no luck getting it changed or a refund so I will probably remove the bezel and swap the faceplate over on my existing unserviceable item.

If that would fit Piebaps bike..
It would be an ideal swap :thumb2

His is purely KPH and the dual one you have will be perfect for him [ if swappable]

Thanks all.

I'll check that frenchy one out later.

I've also found these guys http://www.lockwoodinternational.co.uk/ who would be able to manufacture a quality dial overlay.

As a little bit of background, the bike is UK H-reg. Several years ago it was fitted with a KPH speedo for use on the continent. As it never surrendered its UK reg it simply went through its MOT each year and the MOT guys passed it. Had it needed a new V5, the speedo would have required changing.

I've now exported it to the IOM and our registration rules require a mechanical inspection which is tougher than an MOT (but a one off). The test centre have indicated that there must be MPH on the speedo and that external overlay stickers aren't good enough.

Something like a trailtech would do the job but I would like to keep the bike as original as possible - but of course without spending too much money. Proff and Motorworks both suggested keeping an eye open for bikes being exported to europe as their new owners may not want MPH.

That's about it. Many thanks for all the advice so far and bernardo, if I sell it, I'll come to you first.

Last edited:
That situation is bizarre, the Mercedes truck and Iveco van based Wobbly Boxes that I spend my working life in ALL have speedos in Kilometers only and at least two have been exported to the Isle of Man............without any problems!

If you want to borrow one for your MOT I've got one in MPH that was a spare with the bike, I think the speedo works but I'm not sure about the Odometer, do they check that it works?

Something like a trailtech would do the job but I would like to keep the bike as original as possible - but of course without spending too much money. Proff and Motorworks both suggested keeping an eye open for bikes being exported to europe as their new owners may not want MPH.
Look for a cycle computer. Make sure that it'll go to at least 120mph. That will meet requirements, but won't be backlit. Up to you whether you keep it on. Relatively easy to fit & take off. Battery operated, so no wiring aside frm the sensor

The cycle computer is also good as a second & third trip meter for total trip & servicing.

Keep the old one on given that it is perfectly serviceable

I run a cycle computer on my RS - the old speedo is starting to wobble when pressing on, so you have a 'range' of speeds presented to you.

+1 for the cycle speedo. :thumb2 *
i calibrated mine with a GPS and it's more accurate than the BM original. :)
My speedo jammed years ago (my Bike does 50 Kph while parked :D ).
i use the cycle one for commuting and an old but large display GPS on long runs.

*IF legally acceptable. :rolleyes:

That situation is bizarre, the Mercedes truck and Iveco van based Wobbly Boxes that I spend my working life in ALL have speedos in Kilometers only and at least two have been exported to the Isle of Man............without any problems!

If you want to borrow one for your MOT I've got one in MPH that was a spare with the bike, I think the speedo works but I'm not sure about the Odometer, do they check that it works?

Get in there! As much as I hate to say it Proff was right! He said someone would have one which I could borrow. PM on the way Duncan:bow

I have a friendly vehicle examiner advising me and while he can't pass the bike for me, he is telling me what is acceptable. Odometer isn't an issue. Motorworks tell me that a V5 won't be issued in the UK without an mph speedo now either.

Back
Top Bottom