New bike time leads me back

Morety

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I'm back into the BMW fold after 18 months away after having a fling with an RSVR Mille! I always regretted selling my 2016 GSA but a house move meant funds were needed. I dallied with a lovely RSVR up until now but my back problems have got so bad, I find myself wanting to stop every 10 miles....too painful to do many miles so I saw sense and just traded it in for a 2018 R1200RS Sport SE.

5K miles from new, all the options boxes ticked. I've no idea how this will compare with the GSA but anything using that 1200 lump has got to be worth going back to. Already have the motorrad charger but unsure of the SE comes with the charging point I had on the GSA (mini cigarette type CANBUS charge point). Anyone with one know if they do?

The bike seems to come with lots of extras including a Navi 6 and a set of panniers, engine rocker cover guards (not bars though) and frame plugs. Hopefully having it delivered next week, bought after asking a lot of questions on history, condition and photos etc. Figured it would be easier on my back and hip and allow a few continental tours over the coming years.

Besides adding a centrestand Rugged Roads bash plate/protector and some type of protection for the rear suspension plus a film coating to protect the crank case cover, is there anything else worth thinking about on it?

s-l1600.jpg

Bar risers.

Socket for the charger is in a similar position to the seat release lock, but on the other side .

I disagree about “dangerous”.

Been using the OEM mount with little extra lift brackets since 2015.

I don’t have a jog wheel so need to touch the device easily.

Have used 660, NAV6 and now XT without trouble.

GPS sits in line of site exactly below the dash.

And, I use a low screen so a jacked up forward bracket wouldn’t work.

Each to their own.

In addition to a possible shopping list.

From one currently enjoying my 7th Euro trip on this bike, in reverse order of learning.

A big 46L cuboid GIVI top box in place of the OEM box.
Cool Cover seat cover
Adjustable gear lever puts it spot on
Low screen
Highest seat
Aussie rear mudguard
Shorty levers
Custom suspension

Higher seat is a plus for me and that's the first thing I'll change. Liked the MRA screen I used to have on the GS so probably will fit the MRA Vario touring screen. No to shorty levers as I find standard ones fine and I won't be changing the dynamic ESA unless it goes wrong, then it'll be Ohlins.

What screen is on that currently?

Looks nice, but why don’t they do panniers to match the rest of the bike ?

Could be those were bought after the bike but they look OEM and the front of the bike is grey.

As far as the charger… if you connect straight to the battery terminals, you can use the same lead to power a 12v inflator if you stick the correct connector onto the inflator :cool:

No don't think it is as that is what I have, just curious.
I'll let you know when the bike arrives as I'm curious myself now. It does look a little larger than the stock item and has a deflector lip visible.

If for any reason you decide you don't want the panniers, I would be interested in having them

I disagree about “dangerous”.

Been using the OEM mount with little extra lift brackets since 2015.

I don’t have a jog wheel so need to touch the device easily.

Have used 660, NAV6 and now XT without trouble.

GPS sits in line of site exactly below the dash.

And, I use a low screen so a jacked up forward bracket wouldn’t work.

Each to their own.
So you have to look down ( all be it slightly ) at the GPS. That's far from ideal isn't it . Anything that distracts from the road not good. Dangerous you could argue , but defo not desirable . Many have changed the location. If you are looking below your dash I cant see how that is safe.
Each to their own

Many bikes have speedos and data screens which are low....most Harleys, S1000R I borrowed, my current bike...not ideal but far from dangerous as long as you have your wits about you but I agree having it above the instrument cluster is better a la the GS. For satnav you have the option of bluetooth giving directions to earbuds so in theory you never have to look down and could leave the Nav in your pocket if you wanted (not that I would).

What screen is on that currently?
Right, the bike was delivered today and the screen is a Wunderlich screen and very nice too. A better design than stock and a little taller.

To my surprise there were also machineart moto X-head engine covers fitted, pyramid plastics rear crud catcher, frame end bungs and an additional power take off port located lower down the frame from the power socket. It also had a brand new Givi tankbag fitted, brand new tyres and few other little items.

This bike has never seen the rain. There isn't a scratch or mark on it anywhere that I can see and it's indistinguishable from brand spanking new. If someone told me it had just rolled off the production line, I'd have believed them. Centre stand and underside are all immaculate. I did have a "moment" when the oil level indicator on the lcd screen showed low, only to realise it was the engine temperature readout! Very different to my older 2016 GSA bar the analogue dial. Navi 6 was also sat in the cradle on delivery, so someone has spent an awful lot of money on this motorcycle. It's a rare find imho to find one as good as this which isn't under a year old, so utterly delighted. Very comfortable riding position even with the tall seat too.

Back
Top Bottom