New V85TT slayyyyyyys Stelvio

Arsey

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
An interesting comparison.

4b987e84aa3eec4d131da9698dd9099b.png

6a3e92e64127bd0b79ba05b3f46e6d34.png

d43776576b8cc7d08d8d735e8490fe69.png

Thanks for that post Arsey, for me, a very interesting read. I've obviously not ridden the new V85 yet but, I doubt very much that 3bhp and VVT would make it more lively than the Stelvio up-to 5k rpm, as is suggested in the report.
The V85 is a great bike, I've had 5 of them, and any improvements would make it an even better bike. Yes, there will be folks that will always prefer the V85, as I've said ,it's a great bike. But I'm not sure it's any more 'Guzzi' than the new Stelvio. One thing is for sure it's suspension suits the bike more than the Stelvios suspension, which despite what the testers say, is firm and is crashy on rougher roads.
I've now done around 700mls on the new Stelvio and I can confirm it is every bit a Guzzi. It's so much more 'bike' than the V85. The ergonomics for me are almost perfect despite being slightly tall for my little chunky legs. Almost identical seat height as the V85. But that's where the similarities end. Apart from the suspension I feel the Stelvio is a far better bike in every area than the V85. It goes much much better, it handles and stops better the riding position is better, wind protection is much better. The fueling is spot on, which it definately isn't on the V85. Ride along at 40mph in 6th gear and twist the throttle for an overtake, the Stelvio does it effortlessly with no sign of any rear drive lash. Try doing that on a V85.
Overall Guzzi have produced two great bike but, at this moment in time, the Stelvio is the bike for me. Having said that. I'm sure it wouldn't surprise me or anyone else if I have another V85 at some point in the future.

A couple more pounds of torque and 3 more hp on the V85 for 2024 sounds ok. As is any wind management improvement. I prefer the the appearance of the 2023 and prior non-lettered tank and welded structures over the 24's cost saving sheet or cast pieces and tank graphics.

The way I rate the two after riding and living with both V85 and Stelvio.

Engine and power delivery.
V85 ++ Nice delivery, adequate power, and delightfully smooth throttling.
Stelvio ++++ Same as above only more everywhere.

Comfort to "me".
V85 +++ Overall very good seat with room to shift fore and back (with bumper removed)
Stelvio ++ Overall good but 3/4" less leg room and stock seat is dished or less flat than V85. Bars almost a touch too high. Taller seat should remedy both though.

Road Handling:
V85 +++
Stelvio ++++

Poor surface road and ride:
V85 +++
Stelvio + harsh, too stiff damping. Wobbly shield.

Drivetrain;
V85 +++ Wonderful dry clutch, moderate driveline lash, great shifting, could stand a taller 6th.
Stelvio ++ Bang into 1st from neutral shaft drive wet clutch, practically 0 driveline lash or jacking effect, great shifting, could use taller 5th and 6th.

Wind management:
V85 +++* Slightly noisy but overall quite good*. *With larger shield and shield deflector. 2024 Travel version comes with deflectors.
Stelvio ++++ Very smooth air and low buffeting and noise. Power adjustable screen is useful and effective.

Overall styling and finish (completely personal obviously).
V85TT ++++ Very attractive overall. Nice colour and paint finish on most models. High front mud guard ineffective. (Much improved after adding lower fender and extender)
Stelvio +++ Attractive styling overall. OK colours made worse with flat finish paint. Too small/narrow rear mud guard looks odd and doesn't function. (the case on most motorcycles today).

Fuel capacity:
V85TT ++++ 6 gallons (US)
Stelvio +++ 5.25 "

Lighting and instruments:
V85TT ++++
Stelvio ++++

What have I missed or gotten wrong Wrinkleyowlie?

I'd agree with most of that Clifton, it would have been nice to have had a slightly bigger tank.
The panels are all off mine and going in for painting tomorrow. Earlier than expected.
I've gone for a pearlecent red and silver scheme. I've also removed the name Stelvio from the tank panels. It will be gloss lacquered and the front half of the front mudguard will also be red. Pics as soon as it's done.
I believe Mitras are currently working on suspension upgrades, so I'll be having a look at these once available. Who knows it could be very near to my perfect bike.:)

A couple more pounds of torque and 3 more hp on the V85 for 2024 sounds ok. As is any wind management improvement. I prefer the the appearance of the 2023 and prior non-lettered tank and welded structures over the 24's cost saving sheet or cast pieces and tank graphics.

The way I rate the two after riding and living with both V85 and Stelvio.

Engine and power delivery.
V85 ++ Nice delivery, adequate power, and delightfully smooth throttling.
Stelvio ++++ Same as above only more everywhere.

Comfort to "me".
V85 +++ Overall very good seat with room to shift fore and back (with bumper removed)
Stelvio ++ Overall good but 3/4" less leg room and stock seat is dished or less flat than V85. Bars almost a touch too high. Taller seat should remedy both though.

Road Handling:
V85 +++
Stelvio ++++

Poor surface road and ride:
V85 +++
Stelvio + harsh, too stiff damping. Wobbly shield.

Drivetrain;
V85 +++ Wonderful dry clutch, moderate driveline lash, great shifting, could stand a taller 6th.
Stelvio ++ Bang into 1st from neutral shaft drive wet clutch, practically 0 driveline lash or jacking effect, great shifting, could use taller 5th and 6th.

Wind management:
V85 +++* Slightly noisy but overall quite good*. *With larger shield and shield deflector. 2024 Travel version comes with deflectors.
Stelvio ++++ Very smooth air and low buffeting and noise. Power adjustable screen is useful and effective.

Overall styling and finish (completely personal obviously).
V85TT ++++ Very attractive overall. Nice colour and paint finish on most models. High front mud guard ineffective. (Much improved after adding lower fender and extender)
Stelvio +++ Attractive styling overall. OK colours made worse with flat finish paint. Too small/narrow rear mud guard looks odd and doesn't function. (the case on most motorcycles today).

Fuel capacity:
V85TT ++++ 6 gallons (US)
Stelvio +++ 5.25 "

Lighting and instruments:
V85TT ++++
Stelvio ++++

What have I missed or gotten wrong Wrinkleyowlie?

So you scored the win to the V85TT with 29 points against 27 to the Stelvio.

I believe Mitras are currently working on suspension upgrades, so I'll be having a look at these once available. Who knows it could be very near to my perfect bike.:)
I believe it could for me as well.

A larger tank is almost always welcome.The absolute minimum range I want for a travel bike such as this is 200 miles, but I prefer 200 miles before the light comes on with another 40-50 available. I rode mine another 27 miles after the light came on, at 165 miles, and was able to get 4.3 gallons in for the 192 miles traveled on 2-lane highways. Just like the V85TT it appears Guzzi's low fuel light comes on too early.

So you scored the win to the V85TT with 29 points against 27 to the Stelvio.

That's about right. With a nicer seat plus a more compliant rear shock the Stelvio comes out on top. And even a bit more ahead with real paint rather than primer.
But if the V85 had another 25 hp it would pull up to even, or maybe back ahead........

Very interesting and thanks for posting Arsey. I will get a chance to try out the Stelvio when my V85TT GDO is in for service.

Not sure I'd consider changing right now for either new current Stelvio or the 24 V85TT (mine is 23) I've fitted Mistral full bore de-cat Stainless headers, Arrow can, K&N filter anMistral VTwin Boost (some of these bought from Mr. Fluffmeister on here). I would guarantee that these have gained the bike a few HP and Torque gains above the 2024 3hp.

The other 'upgrades' are not really anything that would make me drool over the new 24 version.

As I've mentioned before, the V85TT is probably the most comfortable all-day bike I've ever owned, the ergonomics just seem to be perfect for me straight out of the box.....its also just got enough of everything.....tech, power, weight, wind protection etc. And......bags of that air cooled, simple, characterful VTwin Guzzi soul. Everyone needs to own at least one Guzzi surely 😃👍

Very interesting and thanks for posting Arsey. I will get a chance to try out the Stelvio when my V85TT GDO is in for service.

Not sure I'd consider changing right now for either new current Stelvio or the 24 V85TT (mine is 23) I've fitted Mistral full bore de-cat Stainless headers, Arrow can, K&N filter anMistral VTwin Boost (some of these bought from Mr. Fluffmeister on here). I would guarantee that these have gained the bike a few HP and Torque gains above the 2024 3hp.

The other 'upgrades' are not really anything that would make me drool over the new 24 version.

As I've mentioned before, the V85TT is probably the most comfortable all-day bike I've ever owned, the ergonomics just seem to be perfect for me straight out of the box.....its also just got enough of everything.....tech, power, weight, wind protection etc. And......bags of that air cooled, simple, characterful VTwin Guzzi soul. Everyone needs to own at least one Guzzi surely 😃👍
It's interesting how folk modify the bikes 'power' delivery. It makes me think 2 things.
If it needs the extra grunt. You bought the wrong bike in the first place. Also, how often do you use that extra power ?.
You've hit one particularly important nail on the head when you say the ergonomics fit you. I think this is an important thing that many folk forget about.

It's interesting how folk modify the bikes 'power' delivery. It makes me think 2 things.
If it needs the extra grunt. You bought the wrong bike in the first place. Also, how often do you use that extra power ?.
You've hit one particularly important nail on the head when you say the ergonomics fit you. I think this is an important thing that many folk forget about.
Disagree with the modify for 'power delivery' or the annoying 'you bought the wrong bike bit'. It's not that at all, power gain is a small by-product only.

This is modifying a bike to operate as MG (and other manufacturers) would have liked it to operate if they could. All new bikes especially E5 are strangled to run lean and airflow is restricted in and out. Allowing any bike to breath as intended just free's up so much more enjoyment.

The V85TT is perfectly acceptable out of the showroom and I'm completely happy in stock form.......2 things though, I like tinkering and Fluffmeister on here gave me a very good deal on the parts for the mod 😉

This being a GS focused site, I remember back when everyone fitted Y-Pieces and Akro cans on 1150's and 1200's almost as soon as they got them home....it continues today 😀

Disagree with the modify for 'power delivery' or the annoying 'you bought the wrong bike bit'. It's not that at all, power gain is a small by-product only.

This is modifying a bike to operate as MG (and other manufacturers) would have liked it to operate if they could. All new bikes especially E5 are strangled to run lean and airflow is restricted in and out. Allowing any bike to breath as intended just free's up so much more enjoyment.

The V85TT is perfectly acceptable out of the showroom and I'm completely happy in stock form.......2 things though, I like tinkering and Fluffmeister on here gave me a very good deal on the parts for the mod 😉

This being a GS focused site, I remember back when everyone fitted Y-Pieces and Akro cans on 1150's and 1200's almost as soon as they got them home....it continues today 😀
I wasn’t having a go. Just making a comment.

If it needs the extra grunt. You bought the wrong bike in the first place.

Modifying could be said about ergonomics as well as power, "if it doesn't fit, you bought the wrong bike." In fact I'd guess more modify their bikes with different seats, bars, pegs, or shields, for ergonomics and comfort than they do to make more power? First thing I do when buying a motorcycle is modifying it to fit me and setting it up to do what I want. That's just part of the deal.

I must admit I spend far to much money putting bling on bikes but the only ergonomic ones I’ve done are screens.

I wish I could say that, Steve! My God with the money I've spent with Corbin and Seat Concepts I could buy another motorcycle! OTOH I've only bought a handful of screens and few sets of pegs.

Back
Top Bottom