Number plate melting

Bsd7465

Reaction score
I have a Remus end can on my 1250 gsa, when pushing on it starts to melt the number plate mount and warp the plate, also melted the indicator one time. I put the baffle back in and it help, but still getting way too hot. Anybody have this problem and a fix. Is the Acra any better?

I don't have any issues with the OEM Akra. But I have the baffles in. Have you had any mapping work done, sounds like it may be running lean.

I have a Remus end can on my 1250 gsa, when pushing on it starts to melt the number plate mount and warp the plate, also melted the indicator one time. I put the baffle back in and it help, but still getting way too hot. Anybody have this problem and a fix. Is the Acra any better?
Its just natures way of telling you to get a smaller number plate.
Seriously, there is a Wunderlich exhaust extender shown on the Nippy website, perhaps this might help?

I had this on my 1200 with a Remus fitted. I cut a piece of alloy plate the same size as the No plate but about two inches wider, and mounted it behind the No plate with the extra two inches on the exhaust side. Then bent the overhanging alloy plate backwards to an angle of about 45 degrees which in practice deflected the high temperatures past the side of the No plate sufficiently to stop it melting the plate. Worked well. I think I got the alloy sheet from a local motor factor, I can’t recall as I’d had it in the garage for years before this.

I had the same issue on my 850 with the Akra. It seemed to be worse when panniers were fitted. Solved it by:
a) new number plate
b) moving spacer on exhaust hanger to other side of bracket - making exhaust stick out slightly further from bike.

most excellent bit of kit
I had the same problem. Solved it by fitting a metal number plate. Unfortunately the firm I used seem to have stopped making metal plates but they are probably available somewhere

I have the Akra with baffles removed & a smaller number plate. Not drastically smaller, just 8" x 6" & no issues.

Fit a piece of Ali plate to the number plate mount, fit number plate to the Ali plate with a spacer on the bolts to leave an air gap. If you make it a couple of inches longer and bend the bottom edge at 45 degrees it deflects the spray as welI.

Al.

Back
Top Bottom