Paralever or final drive?

knucklemoto

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I've had my second 1150GS for a couple of months now... year 2001 single spark ABS non servo, about 50K on the clock. If you're reading this, it's a lovely bike thank you John, the original owner.

There's a little play in the rear wheel, I know this can either be a bearing failure or the paralever needs adjustment. I've had a search here and found a zillion posts so thought I'd go direct to the oracle...

Any pointers to a good write up or a guide muchly appreciated. In the back of my mind I feel there's a diagnosis involving play at 12 and 6 or 3 and 9 o'clock... unless I'm down a rabbit hole. Which is possible.

Mine had the same, it was the paralever bearings, they had been replaced and properly greased by a previous owner but were not correctly adjusted.
Thirty minutes saw them sorted.

I have a good final drive that was rebuilt with all new bearings and shimmed with only a few K miles on it, so I can swap that across. I put Nushings in my last GS so happy to play with spanners and do a swap or make adjustments. I'm just not sure on how to diagnose it. If I need to swap the final drive I'll put the Nushings in at the same time.

No, it does not have to be the big bearing going bad. Put the bike on the centerstand and have someone else to press the rear brake, and then check for play. If the play is still there, it's the paralever needle bearings that are worn, if the play in the wheel is gone, it's the big ball bearing fault.

Copy and pasted from another members explanation, saves my ham fisted typing. This one way of making sure what the problem is for sure

Thanks Dub... I've just found Steptoes sticky too... never think to look there... I'll have a go at that later.

Twas indeed both paralever bearings gone scrunchy... as I had a known good f/d recently rebuilt all new bearings, shimmed and with nushings already in I popped that on... only tiny niggle is the paint is bmw level bubbles and crap so one fine evening I shall swap the innards over...

For now all smooth and runs great.

My old GS is now sat looking very sorry for itself as I have been taking the upgrades I made to her off and transferring to the new one... I'll have lots of bits to sell here, in fact most of the bike so get in touch if you need a part.

Back
Top Bottom