Passport question.

Last time I checked for my other half she doesn't need a visa (as a 3rd country person would do) but has to register at the Prefecture for stays >90 days. The other stuff is straight from the FR system (and I've just done it again for a German and it gives the same answer!). However it doesn't avoid the fact that Ireland is not in Schengen so Irish people travelling inside Schengen areas are subject to different rules than those domiciled inside Schengen. It's confusing and even the Irish websites give conflicting/confusing info.

repeating myself, the form does not apply to EU citizens so you will not get accurate results for Germans or Greeks etc

Last time I checked for my other half she doesn't need a visa (as a 3rd country person would do) but has to register at the Prefecture for stays >90 days. The other stuff is straight from the FR system (and I've just done it again for a German and it gives the same answer!). However it doesn't avoid the fact that Ireland is not in Schengen so Irish people travelling inside Schengen areas are subject to different rules than those domiciled inside Schengen. It's confusing and even the Irish websites give conflicting/confusing info.
It's not confusing at all.

EU citizens of countries that are not part of Schengen only need to show their passports or ID cards when entering the Schengen area.

They can stay as long as they want, work where they want and study where they want.

Don't you remember when we were in the EU the French only wanted to see your passport at the Channel Tunnel (if they were even there) ?

Same at the Ijmuiden Ferry Terminal for the Netherlands - the policemen just walked down the line of vehicles.

The Irish passport holder has the same privileges.

The UK passport holder on the other hand ............... restricted to the conditions you presented.

Soon we will need a visa - same as the USA.

I have a uk Passport ,but desperate for an EU one ...might move to Ireland my aunt lived there 120 years ago.

Thank you both. Might I ask if these were both Irish passports and if so were they done on-line or in person within the Free State?
I'll understand if you'd rather not say.
Apologies, mine is a UK passport. (My reply was more to show the obvious differing takes on the 10 yr or 10yr plus whats left on old passport that Steve and my post highlight...)

When we were part of the family I was asked to show my passport a few times but there was never a record of the duration of my visits nor a stamp in my passport.

Now we play with our infinitely superior ball in our garden alone with no friends I have to have an app running on my phone to record days in any Schengen country and my passport looks like a fucking GS top box.

I’m envious of your right to roam the EU at will.

Reactions: SBD
I have a uk Passport ,but desperate for an EU one ...might move to Ireland my aunt lived there 120 years ago.

My Mother was Irish - I might just look into the Irish passport thing if it means that I can avoid the hassle of the totting up of days I spend in the EU.

My Mother was Irish - I might just look into the Irish passport thing if it means that I can avoid the hassle of the totting up of days I spend in the EU.

check the documents and testimonials you will need - it's not a quick process

but, as a friend living in Paris discovered, it was a lot easier to deal with Irish Bureaucracy than with the French to get citizenship via marriage! His connection was grandparents no longer alive so he had to track down relatives in Ireland who could attest to some of the connections he claimed in the absence of documents. He was successful eventually so his French born kids can claim French, British or Irish passports.

Andy will know who I mean

I have just been through the on-line application process and (as you say) it is quite long winded for a first time applicant. However, I have easy access to all the documents that they require (mother's birth certificate/marriage certificate etc) as I dealt with everything when she died four years ago.

The fun might start when, in true Irish fashion, they notice that she has different Christian names on her birth certificate and her marriage certificate - even her birth and death certificates have different Christian names on them. I honestly didn't know her real Christian name until I was well into my 50's....:D

I have just been through the on-line application process and (as you say) it is quite long winded for a first time applicant. However, I have easy access to all the documents that they require (mother's birth certificate/marriage certificate etc) as I dealt with everything when she died four years ago.

The fun might start when, in true Irish fashion, they notice that she has different Christian names on her birth certificate and her marriage certificate - even her birth and death certificates have different Christian names on them. I honestly didn't know her real Christian name until I was well into my 50's....:D

Good luck - it's a prize well worth the effort.

No Irish roots for me - unfortunately.

but, as a friend living in Paris discovered, it was a lot easier to deal with Irish Bureaucracy than with the French to get citizenship via marriage! His connection was grandparents no longer alive so he had to track down relatives in Ireland who could attest to some of the connections he claimed in the absence of documents. He was successful eventually so his French born kids can claim French, British or Irish passports.

Andy will know who I mean

I know who you mean but he’s not really British is he?

Ok, he can claim a British passport but he can probably claim an EU one by pretending he’s Italian.

I know who you mean but he’s not really British is he?

Ok, he can claim a British passport but he can probably claim an EU one by pretending he’s Italian.

I know his name is obviously Italian in origin but I thought he is more Maltese in ethnicity. A proper mongrel, anyway.

I know his name is obviously Italian in origin but I thought he is more Maltese in ethnicity. A proper mongrel, anyway.
I think he was born on Malta so how the fuck he ended up with a British passport is beyond me.

Mongrel is the right way to describe him :D

I think he was born on Malta so how the fuck he ended up with a British passport is beyond me.

Mongrel is the right way to describe him :D
at least one grandparent was Irish so I assume he/she came to the UK where C's mother was born

I regularly travel around europe on my Irish passport and have never been asked for any other documents. The fun part though is going straight through customs and getting a coffee while my uk passport colleagues are still queuing at passport control!!

Been there - personally - parents christened me Henry Gerard but addressed me as Gerard (among other things occasionally).
Teenage friends would call looking for Gerry - it took my mother years to acknowledge that I was no longer a "Gerard".
However applying for a driving licence demanded that I enter my full name & (you may be ahead of me) the prised document comes with the Henry bit emblazoned on it.
Inevitably, a young lad on a motorbike will be pulled over by the law.
"your name please?"
"Gerry C"
"do you have a licence?"
"Yes, here you go"
"This is Henry C's licence"
Eventually had to make a formal written witnessed declaration stating that I was not a Henry (hurray).

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet

Back
Top Bottom