Riding into Mozambique

petert

I'm planning to cross the border from South Africa into Mozambique on a hired 1150GS at the beginning of May.
Any recommendations of the paperwork I should have present
for minimum hassle?

If you mean apart from Visas', innoculation shots etc etc of the normal tourist, the rental agency will need to approve and write a authorisation letter allowing you to remove the bike from the county of registration or you will not get it past the border posts unless you revert to the age old african custom of bribery. The agency will also need to provide you with a Carnet du Passage.
Have you spoken to the rental agency? I find it unlikely that they would allow such a trip due to the insurance etc involved. If they are OK with it, please let me know who they are, I would be interested in such a trip......just not on my bike.

Thanks for your reply. The rental agency is happy with it and will provide all necessary papers and letters. We have to leave a substantial deposit. The company is South African Motorcycle Tours, based in Cape Town. A carnet de passage is not necessary for hired vehicles into Mozambique according to the Mozambikan embassy in London. We will have to pay for the Mozambikan third part insurance at the border, though what it would be good for I wouldn't know. I was predominantly wondering what other stuff I should think of taking along. Asking here may prompt something I haven't thought of yet.

Smile nicely

Mozambique isn't a problem, they might well try the bribe question on you. When I crossed the border, I didn't need to get the 3rd party insurance - with a lot of countries, they say in advance that you need to do it and in reality there isn't any facilities.

It is a fairly starightforward border crossing compared to many in Africa.

It's the so-called "speed" guns in the country that they also try to catch you with. They actually had the cheek to ask me for a speeding fine - at which point I just stopped smiling and being nice. and no, I didn't pay a penny.

You'll have a great time there.

good luck

Re: Smile nicely

Tiffany C said:
It is a fairly starightforward border crossing compared to many in Africa.

It's the so-called "speed" guns in the country that they also try to catch you with. They actually had the cheek to ask me for a speeding fine - at which point I just stopped smiling and being nice. and no, I didn't pay a penny.

You'll have a great time there.

good luck

Ta, will do. When I crossed into Mozambique in 1998 (on foot)
it was very easy too, but I was just wondering if there would
have been anything noteworthy on a bike. Am looking forward
and will make sure to have a good time.

Back
Top Bottom